× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: admin page keeps loading in a loop netgear nas 104 after update Version 6.10.5

SteveRichardson
Aspirant

admin page keeps loading in a loop netgear nas 104 after update Version 6.10.5

admin page keeps loading on in a loop netgear nas 104 after update Version 6.10.5

cleared cache    on all browsers   did not help,did a reset on the os did not help, 

my unit is a ReadyNAS 104 4 bay S/N 3ep134em000d6, status is healthy firmware 6.10.5

please help as my  nas is now a brick.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay, RN10443D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 34

Accepted Solutions
Horvath
Guide

Re: admin page keeps loading in a loop netgear nas 104 after update Version 6.10.5

Had the same problem - Do you have SSH access?   If so, your unit isn't "technically" a brick. You should downgrade right away to 6.10.4.  (I did that and the problem went away).  Contrary to other posts - it has NOTHING to do with the browser version you're using to access the unit - it happens on all browsers - it's a flaw in frontview.

Here are the instructions for the ARM unit (RN102):

NB: (you MUST be ssh'ed in as 'root'):

cd /root
wget http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
unzip ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
echo /root/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.img > /etc/.flash_update
reboot

There is a hotfix that needs to be applied to that release and it will automatically be applied if your NAS settings permit hotfixes to be automatically applied... otherwise - do as you see fit.

Just ignore any further updates to 6.10.5 until they get their act together.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 34

All Replies
Horvath
Guide

Had the same problem - Do you have SSH access?   If so, your unit isn't "technically" a brick. You should downgrade right away to 6.10.4.  (I did that and the problem went away).  Contrary to other posts - it has NOTHING to do with the browser version you're using to access the unit - it happens on all browsers - it's a flaw in frontview.

Here are the instructions for the ARM unit (RN102):

NB: (you MUST be ssh'ed in as 'root'):

cd /root
wget http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
unzip ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
echo /root/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.img > /etc/.flash_update
reboot

There is a hotfix that needs to be applied to that release and it will automatically be applied if your NAS settings permit hotfixes to be automatically applied... otherwise - do as you see fit.

Just ignore any further updates to 6.10.5 until they get their act together.

Message 2 of 34
SteveRichardson
Aspirant

To Horvath,

You are the man !! thank you so much..... working well.

Message 3 of 34
bbhvig
Guide

Got the same problem. How do I get SSH access? I tried ssh root@<address> (from a linux pc) but it didn't work ...

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 4 of 34
bbhvig
Guide

OK, I couldn't get in through ssh but I did find another solution.

1. Shut the box down (using multiple presses of the power button on the unit)

2. Remove ALL the disks. Label them as you're doing so so you can put them back into the same slot later (this is important if you want to have any hope of keeping the data stored in the unit) (magic marker on the disk label is safe)

3. Press the rest button on the back of the unit whilst turning the power back on with the power switch. You should get the emergency boot menu, do a factory reset from there

4. After the system has booted you should be able to access it through the web (the Raidar application may help find it). Access will now be username admin, password password. The connection should be stable.

5. Apply the downgrade through the web admin page (download ReadyNASOS-6.10.4.zip from the Netgear support site, unzip it, select "Install Firmware" from the main settings page & feed it the _unzipped_ binary file ReadyNASOS-6.10.4.arm.img)

6. Wait for the system to reboot, you should now be running 6.10.4 but with no data & a funny configuration. If so, nearly there!

7. Switch the unit off again, put the disks back in the same slots they came out of & you should be done - with the same config as you had before & the data intact, only running 6.10.4 which will soon automatically gain the hotfix

8. FROM NOW ON, IGNORE THE INVITATIONS TO UPGRADE TO 6.10.5 - at least until there are hotfixes or another new version which have this almost catastrophic issue resolved.

Message 5 of 34
Stevep99
Guide

Rebooting to factory for me just reinstalls 6.10.5   😞

Message 6 of 34
bbhvig
Guide

Yes. But with the configuration (stored on the discs) not present you should be able to log on to the NAS through the web interface ... and then you can revert to 6.10.4 using "Settings : Install Firmware" from the master page.

I tried numerous browsers (Firefox, IEv11, IEv8, Edge from PCs running both linux & Windows 7 and also Chrome from Raspbian) & had the looping login until I took the discs out, then I got in without any problem at all.

If you do it the way I suggest you won't even have to restore the data. Just switch off after reverting to 6.10.4, reinstall the discs into the same slots they came out of, power up & after a normal boot you should be back in business.

Message 7 of 34
Sandshark
Sensei

@bbhvig wrote:

3. Press the rest button on the back of the unit whilst turning the power back on with the power switch. You should get the emergency boot menu, do a factory reset from there

A factory reset with no drives does nothing, so this is an unnecessary (though not harmful) step.

@bbhvig wrote:

7. Switch the unit off again, put the disks back in the same slots they came out of & you should be done - with the same config as you had before & the data intact, only running 6.10.4 which will soon automatically gain the hotfix

You need to do an OS re-install from the boot menu at this point, at least on a native OS6 machine.  Otherwise, the OS6.10.5 on your drives will update the flash, and you'll be back to the same place.  The highest version wins at boot.  On a legacy machine upgraded to OS6, I'm not sure if the flash always wins, as it did with RAIDiator 4.2.x.

Message 8 of 34
bbhvig
Guide

My system is an RN104 - a few years old but it always had 6.x.x

I reloaded 6.10.4 with just one small "factory fresh" disc in the machine & all the normal discs removed. After doing that I put back the 4 4TB discs removed & rebooted to 6.10.4. So the firmware isn't being loaded from the discs. From this I made the assumption that there wasn't a need for any discs to be in the system whilst rolling back the firmware.

There are messages relating to a "fix" in beta but this is obviously wrong because the issue seems to be an interaction between the configuration file and the firmware, it is definitely NOT browser dependent.

What is _really_ annoying me is that lots of people seem to be having this problem with 6.10.5 and not only has the faulty firmware not been replaced with a working version and an apology, it's still on line & no doubt creating new victims. If this isn't rectified very soon I'm going to assume that Netgear are quite happy for people to have their devices (nearly) bricked on the principle that they might be conned into buying a new unit. Guess what, it won't be Netgear products that angry users will be buying.

Message 9 of 34
mikebainbridge1
Aspirant

Same problem here on a RN426 - I'm in a bad place as I had just put a new disk (final 6th of 6) in so I'm in the mddle of a resync with no way of knowing if it's progressing. The problem didn't seem to manifest when the system was not stressed and I have an offline backup from before adding the disk so it's not catastrophic but....  The system is running and the services and shares are available. The LED is randomly flashing DEGRADED but I have no way of monitoring progress. Currently about 28 hours in and I would expect somewhere between 40-50hours from previous experience but agree this is very poor. 

Message 10 of 34
Ren001
Aspirant

Same problem here with RN102: I did the fw update yesterday, coming from 6.10.4fix and now I am caught in the signon loop - tried 4 different browsers - no luck.

I have no SSH access to my NAS...

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 11 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Message 12 of 34
Stevep99
Guide

I've enables SSH and I can get in using ssh root etc  but its asking for a password but wont let me type anything  ? ? ? ?

Message 13 of 34
Stevep99
Guide

OMG it worked 🙂

Managed to enable SSH using android app called NAS utilities, then followed the SSH instructions here. Downloaded and installed 6.10.4.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS 🙂

Now able to access my NAS. I've switched off auto upfates for now 🙂

Message 14 of 34
Ren001
Aspirant

THANK YOU ALL!

The hint with installing the NAS Utilities by Doyle on Android, then go to Services, enable SSH (don't forget to save!) enabled access to my ReadyNAS 102 via SSH.

I then signed in using putty with username root and the password of the admin user.

Then I followed the procedure mentioned above to download, unzip and copy the 6.10.4 firmware.

After typing reboot the NAS came online with 10.6.4Hotfix1 and the signon loop is gone!!!

Message 15 of 34
Bender-1958
Aspirant

Tnx, 🙂

Had the same problem. But after ± 50 times I managed to a normal logon.

Then it was possible to use the firmware page and go from 6.10.5 to 6.10.4 without problems.

I had no SSH on at the moment, thus the firmware page was the only opportunity.

I am happy that is works again.

But I had expect more from Netgear.

I only found the solution here.

Next time I wait a couple of weeks fore the next upgrade.

Message 16 of 34
ReuyJ
Aspirant

I too had this issue, strangely enough for my setup i used the 'admin' log in and the page is completely fine !
However other accounts all suffer from this?

My setup is a 4 drive 104 and again i am unsure if it particularly related but after the upgrade i did have a drive completely degrade, putting it in my pc prevents that from booting too strangly enough. I will be investigating this further so will get back to you guys if anything shows up and should be replacing this drive before the week is out .

Message 17 of 34
Sandshark
Sensei

In one of the other threads on this issue, it has been reported that Netgear has been able to duplicate the problem.  So, we can hope that an update or hotfix is forthcoming.

Message 18 of 34
bbhvig
Guide

Sorry to hear about the drive, but I believe that is an unrelated issue.

Though there is a common observation that drives fail most often when they're allowed to spin down & a reboot (necessary after a firmware upgrade) will do that!

Message 19 of 34
bbhvig
Guide

Not actually necessary to turn off updates & if you are fed up of the invitations to brick your system, make sure auto updates is turned OFF (it ALWAYS should be IMHO) and set the updates to "long term support".

Anyhoo - from what I can make out, the "security issues" given as the reason for the 6.10.5 update are solely related to Bluetooth & I think most of our NASes have no Bluetooth to compromise ...

Message 20 of 34
jimmysgotya
Aspirant

im following the steps but get the point where im selecting the os 6.10.4 and it says comunication error what do i do

Message 21 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@jimmysgotya wrote:

im following the steps but get the point where im selecting the os 6.10.4 and it says comunication error what do i do

Not sure exactly what steps you are following.  You should be getting the arm zip file from https://kb.netgear.com/000062588/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-4.  Then extract the binary from the zip.

Browse to https://nas-ip-address/admin (don't use readycloud, and of course use the real NAS IP address). After logging in, go to system->settings->update and click on the "install firmware" control.  when prompted, select the binary file.

Message 22 of 34
jimmysgotya
Aspirant

sorry might be a bit of a dumb question, but when you say binary you mean the unzipped file or do i need to get something out of the disk img 

Message 23 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@jimmysgotya wrote:

when you say binary you mean the unzipped file or do i need to get something out of the disk img 

I mean ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.img - in other words the unzipped file.

Message 24 of 34
jimmysgotya
Aspirant

yea i was doing all that and it kept failing i have just downgraded to 6.10.4 using the usb method and its working a treat thanks for you help anyways much appreciate you taking the the time to try and help me out 

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements