× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Recover" grayed out in Shares

sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

"Recover" grayed out in Shares

A folder in shares I'm seeking to "recover" to a computer on my wired Win10 network is grayed out.  I would be able to download individual files from this folder, but I need to recover the entire folder or directory (it contains over 1000 individual files).

Settings > Network Access snapshot below.

Thx.

ReadyNas 202

Firmware: 6.10.8

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@sdfjibsdf wrote:

I can't use Win Explorer to copy or transfer files from NAS to a networked computer.

Why not? 

Have you tried entering \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address in the explorer address bar?  (use the real hostname or IP address of course, and be careful to use the correct slash direction).

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@sdfjibsdf wrote:

A folder in shares I'm seeking to "recover" to a computer on my wired Win10 network is grayed out. 

Try going to the "file access" tab for the share.  Click on "reset", and then "reset permissions".  See if that solves it.

When you say "recover", do you just mean "copy"?

Message 2 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

Resetting the permissions under the File Access tab didn't work.  And actually a few of my folders have the "recover" grayed out.

And yes, I'm trying to move the NAS files and directories onto a new computer on my network.

Message 3 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

and here's another potentially relevant ss

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@sdfjibsdf wrote:

Resetting the permissions under the File Access tab didn't work.  And actually a few of my folders have the "recover" grayed out.

And yes, I'm trying to move the NAS files and directories onto a new computer on my network.

Can you post of screen shot on where you are looking for "Recover".  I am wondering if you are confusing copying files with the NAS snapshot recovery feature.

Message 5 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

"recover" on this screen is about snapshot recovery.

Using this feature will roll back your share contents to the snapshot you select.  It will not transfer any data to or from your PC.

Message 7 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

Ah. OK.  How do I xfer from NAS to my computer?

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@sdfjibsdf wrote:

Ah. OK.  How do I xfer from NAS to my computer?

There are several software packages for Windows and Mac that will copy folders and verify them.  Teracopy is one I've used in the past.

Of course you can also use windows file explorer (drag and drop).

Message 9 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

Yes, exactly.  I can't use Win Explorer to to copy or transfer files from NAS to a networked computer.

Maybe I should start a new thread?

Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@sdfjibsdf wrote:

I can't use Win Explorer to copy or transfer files from NAS to a networked computer.

Why not? 

Have you tried entering \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address in the explorer address bar?  (use the real hostname or IP address of course, and be careful to use the correct slash direction).

Message 11 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

thx

Message 12 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

Does it make sense for the transfer speed to be 10/MBs over cat5, cat 5e, or cat6 through a 1000/MBs switch??

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@sdfjibsdf wrote:

Does it make sense for the transfer speed to be 10/MBs over cat5, cat 5e, or cat6 through a 1000/MBs switch??

Cat 5e or better is what you should be using.

Large files can be copied up to about 100 MB/second if you are copying to an CMR hard drive (internal or USB-3). 

But many desktop and USB mechanical drives drives are now SMR, and copying large files to an SMR drive will be a lot slower than 100 MB/s.

Folders with a lot of small files will also transfer much slower than 100 MB/s.   10 MB/s is certainly on the slow side, but there are some scenarios where you can see transfer speeds in that range.

How much data are you copying?

Message 14 of 16
sdfjibsdf
Aspirant

1,300 files, 280 GB.

Eh.  it's fine.  I'll just do it overnight.  (it's transferring to a sata platter HDD)

Thx

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@sdfjibsdf wrote:

(it's transferring to a sata platter HDD)

As I mentioned, some are SMR drives, and they have very poor sustained write performance.

Anyway, at 10 MB/s, it should easily finish overnight.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements