× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 connection problems

EWells006
Aspirant

Re: EX7700 connection problems

After updating firmware, and removing smart connect, extenders have been working well. Have some issues with connecting and/or performance lag, but typically rights itself quickly, without me having to do anything. Good for a couple months now.
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 26 of 52
jastsali
Initiate

Since I've replaced my previous Router with the R70o0P and added the EX7700 extender I'm only having problems. Both have the latest frimware

Just like other users my mobile devices that are connected to the ex7700 are losing internet connection all the time. I have the impression it the EX7700 and R7000P don't get along together.  I'll explain why

The 2.4 ghz is working perfectly, but for the 5Ghz the EX7700 connects to my other extender, which is a Fritz-extender located in my work-office. This extender is on channel 128, The R7700P is on channel 112. The Fritz-extender is located far away from the EX7700 and is having the weakest signal, nevertheless the EX7700 does not want to connect over 5Ghz to the R7000P. When I disable the other Fritz-extender in my work-office and do a new smart setup on the EX7700 it won't connect to the R7000P.  When I replace the R7000P with my old router (Fritz box) the EX7700 does connect to the 5Ghz channel of the old router. So it must have something to do with the combination of the R7000P and EX7700
After using it for six months I simply want to get rid of these problems. I was hoping of having purchased the best router and best extender, howver it looks I have made the wrong choice and must accept my loss. Or can anyone at Netgear help

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 27 of 52
Grrreg
Tutor

I am also having issues. The ex7700 drops connection to the router. The router is still working fine when this happens. The light had changed from white, then goes off when it drops. When it came back on it was orange and now red, though I haven't moved the ex7700. If I move it any closer to the router there is no point having it as an extender. It also seems to be causing issues with two of my sonos speakers which constantly drop out. Have spoken to the online chat for two hours today and they said they would email me, but haven't. They are unable to fix it.
Message 28 of 52
theriff
Tutor

In the same boat here... Usually around midnight it drops signal, i have to go to my main router (Nighthawk X4S C7800) and restart that, then my Extender wont connect so i havr to set up as a new device only to have it tell me my password for my router is incorrect. Going to return this P.O.S.

Message 29 of 52
wafubloke
Guide

Had this thing now approx 2 months and had nothing but problems with it. As others have stated shocking that no fix to this available. Going to be returning this as it's utter rubbish.

Message 30 of 52
Khilkani
Guide

I got rid of my connection problems by disabling the "Smart Connect" feature on both, the router and the extender. Everything works perfect now.

Message 31 of 52
wafubloke
Guide

Khilkani- I didnt have it setup, so it's not that for me.

I've activated the return via Amazon now. Just got to figure out what I am going to replace it with.

Message 32 of 52
Grrreg
Tutor

Mine was an issue with Sonos. Basically reset everything, including router, plugged a speaker directly to router. Sonos now connects to that speaker mesh rather than WiFi. Hasn't had any issues so far...
Message 33 of 52
theriff
Tutor

Curious if anyone has replaced theirs with another extender and had good luck. Looking for a recommendation as I still need one. Thanks!
Message 34 of 52
jastsali
Initiate

Yes. I solved my problem. I got rid of all my Netgear devices and purchased and installed TP-Link Deco multiroom devices: (Deco M9-plus). I can advise everyone to do the same. I've been a Netgear fan for many years, spend lots of money, but after the disaster with the R700P and the EX7700 I walked away. 

Message 35 of 52
nandomango
Tutor

This is exaclty my issue. I started with a dual-band. Horrible bunch of problems. Then upgraded to the EX7700 to take advantag of the tri-band, and now have this problem.

Message 36 of 52
wafubloke
Guide

Yeah fixed. Got rid of it and replaced with the Ubiquiti Amplifi. Installed in about 10 mins and total coverage of my house and garden, nnot a problem since. Just works!!!

Message 37 of 52
theriff
Tutor

Thanks for the reply! Those look axctually nice. Finally a router that doesn't look like it's out of Star Trek! Looking into them now 🙂 Which model did you get???

Message 38 of 52
wafubloke
Guide

Well.... I had the Amplifi HD and was that impressed with Ubiquiti I then bought the Unifi Dream Machine.

Message 39 of 52
Grrreg
Tutor

Spoke too soon...
Extender has been dropping connection over the past few days. Nothing has changed in the setup. Currently only one light on and can't get it to connect to the router without turning it off and on again. So frustrating, particularly as I'm working from home now and NEED it to work.

Going to try without using smart connect. Any help appreciated, the help chat is useless.
Message 40 of 52
MichaelSab
Aspirant

5G connection from router to extender keeps dropping

I have no issue with the 2G one,
The 5G keeps dropping and doesn t come back, only with a reboot from the extender.

I tried each version of the firmware down to 188, but issue persists.

I'm not using smart connect,

Also, the extender keeps advising to use a band between 100 and 165GHz for the 5G while I'm using 136GHz...

Please help!

Thanks

Michael

Message 41 of 52
Sonjire
Aspirant

Hello. I bought the Ex7700 last week. Actually I have a lot of disconnections. At a bout every half an hour for 5 Minutes. I already tried everything but nothing helps. The Extender is connected to my r7000 router. Is there already a solution for this Problems?
Thanks!
Message 42 of 52
wafubloke
Guide

No, it's shocking. I got rid of mine and went for a Ubiquity UDM and a couple of access points, not looked back.

Message 43 of 52
Khilkani
Guide

I got rid of my connection problems by disabling the "Smart Connect" feature on both, the router and the extender. Everything works perfect now.

Message 44 of 52
Sonjire
Aspirant

I tried to disable the Smart connect feature, but after that my network was complet useless. I think the Ex7700 doesn't work with the R7000 router. Today on the morning everything works fine, but afternoon my network crashes. I tried to restart the EX7700, but nothings helps. Now i switched off the EX7700 and my network runs perfect with the r7000, but with less range. I send him back, what a terrible piec of product.

Now i must search a nother product, but sorry Netgear, not from your productline.

Message 45 of 52
forevergroup
Aspirant

I think you've definitely got the right idea going for a Mesh WiFi solution. We're a Cisco Networking partner at work, and the new breed of home mesh solutions are far closer to the Meraki Access Point solutions that we install commercially.

In fairness to Netgear though, their new Orbi mesh WiFi units do look pretty good for home use but I haven't had a chance to use them myself yet. So I wouldn't necessarily say you need to jump to TP-Link if you're a Netgear fan and want mesh WiFi.

Message 46 of 52
Khilkani
Guide

My next router setup definitely won't include Netgear anymore. So much trouble has to be punished by weakening demand.

Message 47 of 52
Ian_g1
Aspirant

A really interesting thead -  I've had exactly the same issue. R7000 router is clearly not compatible with the EX7700.

After weeks of trying to make it work, and hours wasted on support calls, its on the way back to Amazon.

Netgear used to be a great brand, but they've lost the plot.

Message 48 of 52
CraphawkX6
Aspirant

The 7700 is a POS. I have paid a pretty penny for this and it doesn’t work as per all the comments in this thread. Netgear has no intention of fixing this, so you will be stuck with this frustratingly non functional white elephant. Shame on you Netgear. I will take my business elsewhere.
Message 49 of 52
iliko
Aspirant

One word - CRAP!

Message 50 of 52
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7