× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Link rate LEDs quit working

Caesar1948
Aspirant

Link rate LEDs quit working

I walked into my home office this morning and found my Apple Airport Time Capsule's ready light was blinking amber. It's connected by Ethernet cable to my EX6200 Range Extender. The link rate LEDs on the EX6200—both of them—are out, but the Device to Extender light is green, as it should be. This setup had been working just fine until this morning—even as late as late last night.

My computer can get its signal from my base router in my living room, but my backup device needs the hard wire connection. I hope someone can help me fix the problem. I updated the firmware about two weeks ago, and everything was in working order till this morning. 

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Caesar1948,

You can connect to the extender's signal (NETGEAR_EXT) and go through the setup procedure as described here.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Caesar1948
Aspirant

Later in the day, I remembered to try unplugging the range extender. Did that, left it for a couple of hours, then plugged it in again. Now my Time Machine backup is working again, green light and all, but the Link Rate LEDs on the extender are still out. Not green or red ... just black. I've checked my WiFi status, and I still do not see the EXT connections available—just "Netgear_EXT" as an open connection (no padlock showing). What's going on?

Message 2 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Caesar1948,

Welcome to the community!

It looks like the extender is on its default settings. Have you tried reconfiguring it as an Access Point?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
Caesar1948
Aspirant

Hello, Dexter, and thank you for replying. This device has worked almost flawlessly just as it was for about three years, maybe longer. All of a sudden it went off track. Just a few days ago, my laptop (MacBook Pro) connected to the Internet via this range extender. As of this morning, I'm using the signal from my Xfinity X1 router two rooms away. Why? I don't have a clue.

To answer your question, no, I have never configured the device as an access point. To be honest, I can't claim to understand the difference. I hope you can help me understand. Anyway, how do I configure it as an access point when I can't get into its dashboard? I tried to enter the dashboard this morning, but it reported that it could not access the device. That makes sense, given that the LEDs are both turned off. I'll appreciate your help.

Message 4 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Caesar1948,

You can connect to the extender's signal (NETGEAR_EXT) and go through the setup procedure as described here.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 7
Caesar1948
Aspirant

Good morning, DexterJB: 

Thanks for your expert advice. Everything's now back to normal—back-up drive, printer, network. I don't know why it never occurred to me that all I needed to do was repeat the steps that I took back when I first took the range extender out of the box. Duh! The bonus: This exercise forced me to clean up my messy cables and dust behind my desk! 

Message 6 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Caesar1948,

Thank you for the update. Glad to know you got it working again!

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series