× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

canguy
Aspirant

Adding another name to the list of users having the same problem.

Come on Netgear Support-- this is CLEARLY a problem! Why can't someone just post a message on here and let us know when you'll have a working solution?!?!?!

Very poor, Netgear. Very, very poor. You really should be ashamed of yourselves.
Message 101 of 193
Networker64
Aspirant

Just one more to add to the list of disaffected customers. My configuration is:
ADLS Modem <-> WNDR3700 <-> WN2000RPT. I have a Linux server, a Power Mac and a Network Printer all on the Ethernet ports of the repeater and two MacBooks and a Sony Vaio on the repeater wireless network, and 2 Macs connected to the 5GHz network on the WNDR3700. The original configuration had the WNDR providing DHCP to all devices. I have been experiencing the same dropouts between the repeater and the router as everyone else. However I made some recent changes and it now almost works correctly. I list what I have done in case it helps anyone else.

1. Upgrade the firmware on both router and repeater to latest version. Note that when you do this the repeater won't connect to the router if the SSID is not broadcast as it was in my case. I had to set the extender network on the router to broadcast the SSID. Even after it has connected, if you turn off SSID broadcast on the router it will fail to reconnect.
Note that when I did this all the wired devices worked correctly but the wireless ones still started dropping connections. On closer look it would connect for a while and then lose the IP address. After first losing the IP address it would be able to connect again to the wireless network but almost immediately lose the IP address again. This led me to:
2. Enable DHCP on the WN2000RPT. You need to go to http://X.X.X.X/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html. The options are very simplistic but at least you can set the IP address range. I was assigning addresses by MAC address from the WNDR which is not supported in the RPT. This means that I have had to manually set some of the addresses I was previously using DHCP for.

This has provided a stable configuration for longer than I have ever previously experienced (an it is still going). However, here's the rub. Being mostly Mac, I extensively use bonjour to advertise services from my servers. Now instead of losing the extender network I lose bonjour service advertisements at a similar frequency to to what used to occur with network dropouts. It seems that the RPT at some point stops forwarding multicast and/or broadcast traffic through the wireless AP. This is not the case on the ethernet ports as all the devices on Ethernet ports can see the bonjour services.

A recent thought that I haven't yet tested is that it might have something to do with the fact I lock the wireless access to specific MAC addresses. Maybe as soon as this is done it breaks multicasting. I will test this out and report back.
Message 102 of 193
Networker64
Aspirant

As a follow up to my post yesterday on my thought that the MAC access control being turned on caused the broadcast/multicast issue. I turned it off but after the bonjour services coming back initially (due to the reboot), after a few hours they were lost again, so that theory is disproved. I suspect that this behaviour is also behind not propagating the dhcp broadcasted requests/responses.
Message 103 of 193
grahambeale
Aspirant

I have decided to replace my 2000RPT via Netgear support. At one point they offered me the new version (the 3000RPT), but later they retracted that solution! Talk about managing expectations :mad:

I am generally a big supporter of Netgear products, but I feel let down with this product. I will be replacing it (at my own cost) with another manufacturers product.

They did tell me that their 'level 3' engineers will be looking at this forum and releasing a new firmware, but its too late for me - I've already had 8 months of unreliable connections.
Message 104 of 193
rmbass
Tutor

Same problem here... I have a Netgear WN2000RPT range extender running the latest firmware (1.0.1.20NA) connected to a Linksys E2000 wireless router (firmware version 1.0.04). I am using WPA2 and have not tried enabling the local DHCP server on the range extender. It seems like I have to restart the Netgear device every day or two to keep it working. When the Netgear range extender isn't working I can connect without a problem directly to the Linksys wireless router. Maybe I should get a plug timer and reboot the range extender nightly...
Message 105 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

I put up a post on what I thought the problem was and my experience and it didn't even get posted
Message 106 of 193
Networker64
Aspirant

As a follow up to my post on November 12 ... The stability of the connection is better, but it still has occasions where the signal deteriorates to the point that response times (as measured by ping) blow out to 10+ seconds and often time out. A reboot, as is usually the case, returned the repeater to fully operational. It has now been running for over 55 hours since last reboot and is still propagating the bonjour traffic. A significant improvement on rebooting at least once per day.
Message 107 of 193
grahambeale
Aspirant

The replacement product has arrived....and experiences exactly the same fault. It's definately a fault with the design of the product.

grahambeale wrote:
I have decided to replace my 2000RPT via Netgear support. At one point they offered me the new version (the 3000RPT), but later they retracted that solution! Talk about managing expectations :mad:

I am generally a big supporter of Netgear products, but I feel let down with this product. I will be replacing it (at my own cost) with another manufacturers product.

They did tell me that their 'level 3' engineers will be looking at this forum and releasing a new firmware, but its too late for me - I've already had 8 months of unreliable connections.
Message 108 of 193
Danno1
Aspirant

Same problem here too.

Netgear, will you please at least let us know when we can expect updated firmware to come along.

It is not fair to have such an unreliable product in the field without communicating what is being done and when to make it reliable.
Message 109 of 193
Matazal
Aspirant

I had the same problem, frequent disconnection from the internet while i stayed connected to the network.

I made this account to let everyone know that the fix i tried has worked and it has not disconnected for 3 days now.

here is what i did:

1.Set a static IP for the extender
2.Set a static IP for my computer

to set the static IP for extender you go to the mywifiext.com and under setup there is IP setting and choose static IP

to set your computer static IP you go to the network adaptor setting and change it from there, should be familiar with it by now try to solve the problem.

Hope this helps!
Message 110 of 193
bastialex0825
Novice

Hi Guys!

I managed to download a firmware that hopefully solves this issue. 🙂

You can download it here: http://filejumbo.com/Download/1F7DF7C444E72262
Let me know of the outcome.
Message 111 of 193
DaniT
Aspirant

bastialex0825 wrote:
Hi Guys!

I have just installed it. Will get back with uptime. Thanks!
Message 112 of 193
Meeterea
Aspirant

bastialex0825 wrote:
Hi Guys!

The file has been removed, is there an other place to download the file??

Thanks!

gr.
Arie
Message 113 of 193
bastialex0825
Novice

Message 114 of 193
DaniT
Aspirant

Good news everyone!!

It seems to work! At least in my setup, which have NEVER had a reliable connection since i bought the device almost a year ago (and after trying every configuration possible), needing a reboot at least twice a day. Now it works pretty good.
Message 115 of 193
igorsetas
Tutor

Good night

The link you provided is off. can you give me the link to the fireware. The European version WN2000RPT.
Message 116 of 193
DaniT
Aspirant

igorsetas wrote:
Good night

The link you provided is off. can you give me the link to the fireware. The European version WN2000RPT.

The second link he posted is still online. It isnt labeled as NA or EU but im using it in europe with an european router and its working just fine.
Message 117 of 193
grahambeale
Aspirant

Does Netgear support download downloading firmware from third party websites? It certainly doesn't sound like an official fix - more of a leaked beta

bastialex0825 wrote:
new link:

http://filejumbo.com/Download/645579EEDB46455C
Message 118 of 193
Danno1
Aspirant

I've tried this 'latest' firmware now. But no joy for me.

We've still not heard from you Netgear!
Message 119 of 193
Snake334
Novice

I have had the same problem as everyone else with this extender. I was on the verge of trashing it till I read the post about the firmware. I downloaded it and installed it. I got the warning that it wasn't an NA firmware but I installed it anyway. Success. My network has been up and running with no issues for a few days now.
Message 120 of 193
Meeterea
Aspirant

I have also no dropouts more since the "new firmware 1.0.1.26", downloaded from the link above. 🙂
Strange is well, that on the Netgear itself on the overview page it says that there is installed firmware 1.0.1.20???
I'll think that firmware 1.0.1.26 is indead a betafirmware.

But nothing to complain, it works for this moment! 🙂

gr.
Arie
Message 121 of 193
bastialex0825
Novice

.26 is not yet an official firmware. they usually send this to beta tester before they release this officially.
Message 122 of 193
igorsetas
Tutor

I have 3 WN2000RPT WIFI connected by the channel 12.
One of WN2000RPT Router is connected to the ISP via WIFI.
Security at all is WPA2-PSK [AES].
1 of WN2000RPT - Firmware V1.0.1.20 - GUI V1.0.0.7 - (SSID) ZON-1380_EXT_2.
1 of WN2000RPT - V1.0.1.20-wifi-12-06 - GUI V1.0.0.7 - (SSID) ZON-1380_EXT_2.1.
1 of WN2000RPT - V1.0.1.20-wifi-12-06 - GUI V1.0.0.7 - (SSID) ZON-1380_EXT_2.3.
Last test and it seems to be working well, until you see.
Tomorrow give feedback
Message 123 of 193
bgrammar
Novice

Meeterea wrote:
I have also no dropouts more since the "new firmware 1.0.1.26", downloaded from the link above. 🙂
Strange is well, that on the Netgear itself on the overview page it says that there is installed firmware 1.0.1.20???
I'll think that firmware 1.0.1.26 is indead a betafirmware.

But nothing to complain, it works for this moment! 🙂

gr.
Arie

My WN2000RPT had been dropping the connection to the router every 20-30 minutes the past few days (I've had it for months and it has done this every few days--don't know why the frequency picked up) I downloaded and installed the .26 firmware, ignoring the non-NA firmware warning, and it hasn't dropped the connection yet after 24 hours, so (mostly) all is good.

I've noticed a ~1/3 drop in throughput with the new firmware though. But that's not surprising considering this is in beta. Can't wait for Netgear to tighten up the code and officially release this on their website.

Props to bastialex0825 for the finding the fix.
Message 124 of 193
accordlayingkit
Aspirant

Im new and am having the same exact extender signal drop problem as everyone else but i am using netgear WNR2000-100NAS router with the wifi net gear extender that plug into the wall outlet WN3000RP, works beautifully for a while then drops, comes back on its own sometimes or a unplug of the extender resets itself and works fine till to drops again!!!!! Called netgear 3 times already and been told the normal, "got a cordless phone near by?" "try channel, 6, 11, 9 blah blah blah...i see most people use the same router as me but im using the other extender, so could it jus be the router?

This is what im using......

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Universal+Wi-Fi+Range+Extender+with+Ethernet+port/2733324.p?id... fi netgear extender&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+N300+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-port+Ethernet+Switch/8998506.p;j...

Thanks for any suggestions!
Message 125 of 193
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7