Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS336Gv2 routers drop connections, or are very slow.

MichaelJennings
Aspirant

FVS336Gv2 routers drop connections, or are very slow.

Slow speed, unstable connection   We have 4 FVS336Gv2 routers. I am new to configuring them. We want to upgrade from very old FVS328 routers that we use for IPSEC VPN connections to remote computers.

Initially the 4 FVS336Gv2 routers work well and the speed is fine. After an hour or more, or several hours, all 4 fail. We begin getting "Server not found" at every browser request. Clicking on "Try again" multiple times will finally cause the web page to be displayed. It is necessary to click on a URL in a browser several times.

We are using the latest firmware: v4.3.3-6.

When testing with an old Netgear FVS328 router, there are no problems. (Firmware Version V1.0_15)

When we switch to an On Networks N300R router, there are no problems.

(We want to use an IPSEC VPN to connect to remote Netgear FVS328 routers, which we would like to replace with FVS336Gv2 routers. We have not been able to make VPN connections.)

Network we are using for testing:
Comcast cable, speed 30 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.
Motorola SB6141 modem
Netgear NAT firewall, FVS328, or when testing, FVS336Gv2
ZyXEL GS1100-24 Unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit computers

Conditions:

1) We are connecting to a Motorola SB6141 cable modem, which is connected to Comcast.

2) When using one of the FVS336Gv2 routers, the cable modem correctly shows the blue blinking light at the bottom, indicating that it is connecting to a 1 Gigabit router. (The other routers we tested are 100 Mbit; the light blinks yellow for those.)

3) I thought that the "Server not found" message might indicate a lack of ability to access the DNS. So, instead of "Obtain DNS server address automatically", I tried the Google DNS settings, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. That made no difference.

4) I've tried turning on the modem, FVS336Gv2 routers, and switch in different orders. That has made no difference.

5) I've tried turning on the modem, FVS336Gv2 routers, and switch each for a long time before trying to connect. That made no difference, but possibly there is a delay I don't know is necessary.

6) We are using them in NAT mode.

7) IP address and Domain Name Servers are both "Get dynamically from ISP".

😎 Pinging Comcast's DNS server 75.75.75.75 gives 13 to 16 milliseconds.
Pinging Comcast's DNS server 75.75.76.76 gives 48 to 52 milliseconds.

Theories:

1) Maybe the failure is somehow related to the fact that only the FVS336Gv2 routers are using the 1 Gigabit configuration that automatically is chosen by the SB6141 modem when the modem is turned on.

2) Quite likely there is some configuration setting I don't understand that is causing the problem.

Questions:

1) Should I un-check "Enable ARP broadcast"?

2) Should I use IPv4 or both IPv4 and IPv6?

3) Should I Disable DNS Relay? (Suggested in a comment linked below.)

4) Should I Uncheck Block UDP Flood? (Suggested in a comment linked below.)

Many people have had similar problems. Firmware error?

There are many similar previous Netgear Forum posts for the FVS336Gv2 router about the same problem. This suggests that there is a defect in the firmware that has not been fixed.

FVS336GV2 - slow download speeds (Not answered. 2012-10-04)
Also Comcast.

FVS336Gv2 Internet browsing problems (Not answered. 2012-01-02)
Also Comcast.

FVS336Gv2 dropping DNS packets >512 bytes (Not answered. 2011-04-04)

FVS336Gv2 - Slow to download page content
(Not answered. 2015-04-08)

FVS336Gv2 - No stable internet connection (Answered with suggestions. 2015-10-13)

Bandwidth cut in half on my FVS336Gv2
(Not answered. 2015-08-20)

FVS336Gv2- simple fix for odd timeouts / delays when browsing
(Answer: Use Google's DNS Servers. That didn't work for me. 2014-04-16)

FVS336Gv2 No Internet connection for some users (Discussion, but no answer. 2015-03-17)

Is this FVS336Gv2 a brick? (Answer: ... went through two bad FVS336GV2 routers before getting one that worked properly. 2012-04-11)

Networking Issues: drops entire office (No answer. 2015-10-29)

Message 1 of 2
MichaelJennings
Aspirant

Netgear router connection problems are common.

10 links to Netgear
FVS336Gv2 router failures
just above.

Note that there are 10 links to Netgear FVS336Gv2 router failure Forum posts in my post just above. It is difficult to see that they are links.

Note that NONE of those Netgear Forum comments were resolved.

(The "Lithium" discussion system Netgear uses is of very poor quality, it seems to me. For example, the colors make links difficult to see. The formatting doesn't allow bold characters.)

Other Netgear routers also
have connection problems.
Click on these links:

FVS318N router keeps dropping network connectivity (Not answered. 2015-07-26)

FVS318N - problems with DNS intermittent failure (Not answered. 2012-01-13)

Tom's Hardware post:
Netgear FVS318 G V2 Router issues- drops connection (Not answered. Customer bought a router from another company. 2015-11-09)

Tom's Hardware post:
Connection drop from Netgear WGT624 v2 Router (Not answered. 2014-05-03)

Theory, based on fact:

Our experience with Netgear FVS328 routers may be helpful. We discovered, after many hours of hassle, that Netgear FVS328 routers need to be turned off for 2 minutes when restarting. Turning them off for only 1 minute causes the FVS328 to be unstable.

Apparently the designer of the FVS328 electronics didn't put a resistor across the power supply capacitor, so the charge on the capacitor lasts longer than 1 minute.

Possibly there are other Netgear routers that have a similar problem.

Theory #2:

Netgear routers don't show when they are ready to operate. How long must the "Factory Default" switch in the back be pressed to return a Netgear router to Factory Default configuration? The blinking lights apparently give no indication.

How long must other Netgear routers, besides the FVS328 routers mentioned just above, be turned off before they can be turned on again? There is no indication or discussion in the manuals I have read.

How long must Netgear routers be turned on before they are ready to connect to a cable modem? The blinking lights apparently give no indication.

Possibly some of the connection problems mentioned just above and in my post above are caused by Netgear equipment needing a lot of time to become stable.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements