× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS110TP WONT CONNECT TO SOME OTHER SWITCHES - Why ?!

jim1974
Aspirant

GS110TP WONT CONNECT TO SOME OTHER SWITCHES - Why ?!

Ok, I have a load of netgear stuff, as it is fairly cheap and cheerful, but gets the job done, so +1 to them there 🙂

The GS110TPE provides POE and switching for my five CCTV cameras, and a job that it does perfectly - UNTIL i want to connect the GS110 to the rest of my network.

I have a main GS724T standard non-poe GB switch, which I would like to link via copper to a GS110TP (5.0.5.10) - easy enough you would think ?  All the cables I have tried work perfectly elsewhere and are cat6 and around 3/4/5 mtrs long.

When I plug ANY cable between these two Netgear devices, I get nothing.  No lights, no webgui info, nothing.  Tried lots of cables, no joy.

To get round the aparent Netgear to Netgear compatability problem, I take a cable from the GS110TP and run directly to the switch on my cheap, crappy chinese VDSL router. it connects fine, and works perfectly for a few days, but only at 100meg, then craps out for no apparent reason - lights fail, and in the GUI it just shows as link down.  To get it working again, I revisit the GS110, pull the cable, and re-insert.  The other switch ports on the VDSL router continue to work fine.

I then tried plugging the GS110TP into my Apple Airport as it is gigabit switching - the result was the same as the netgear GS724 - nothing, not even a link light.  

Its almost as if there is no cable connected to the port.

Surely netgear gigabit gear is compatable with other Netgear gigabit gear ?

I have attached a sketch (apologies, no autocad!) to explain the connections that work (in black) and what doesent want to work (in red)

Any help would be great, as I am getting fed up with having to continually power cycle eveything to get it working again!

Model: GS110TP|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit PoE smart switch
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jim1974,

Welcome to our community and Thank you for choosing Netgear!

As per checking in here is that, if one of the switches is connected to the network, the other one goes down. I think there is an IP conflict happening inside your network. May you be able to set the switches to static IP so that it will not have any conflict?

Please also try to use the Smart Control Center to monitor your switches.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
jim1974
Aspirant

No, thats not the problem I have.

When I try to connect the GS110 to either the 724 or my Airport, the units wont connect.  All of the items continue to operate as they should, but the cable between them does not show any activity.

Plug it into my main router, it works, and connects.

There are no address conflicts, all IP of the switches and routers are static.

To be clear:

1) ANY PORT OF THE 110 > ANY PORT OF THE 724 = No connection (no lights, nothing)

2) ANY PORT OF THE 110 > ANY PORT OF THE APPLE = No connection, no lights etc

3) ANY PORT OF THE 110 > ANY PORT OF ROUTER = Connects, 100m, Full Duplex, but fails after a day or so.

If you have any network device, you should be able to plug it in to another device, and the units will go through a negotiation phase, and establish a connection.  Even if there is a network loop, , ip conflict or broadcast storm, you would still have an established connection.

I have nothing when i connect certian equipment to the GS110 - however the switch works fine between the IP CCTV cameras, it just refuses to connect properly to anything else.

Would it be the POE that is incompatible with your other products? should i set the link port in question to a fixed speed ?  What settings need to be checked ?

As metnioned above, it is almost as if the cables are not connected, no lights, nothing.

Message 3 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jim1974,

I see. It should work that way. May you be able to check if the STP / RSTP is enabled? If yes, then try to disable it and see if that would work.

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements