× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PoE setup on M4300-28G-PoE+

ChristianB
Aspirant

PoE setup on M4300-28G-PoE+

Hi all!

We experience an issue with a brand-new M4300 series PoE+ switch. There is no power available on the ports.

System > PoE > Basic > PoE Configuration

Power Status sais OFF, and it is read-only parameter.

System > PoE > Advanced > Port Configuration

All Ports are set to ADMIN MODE Enable.

The high Power mode, which is set to 802.3at matches the connected devices, which are expecting 802.3at.

The system is running with two power supplies, both are working properly. There is more than enough power (Watts) available for everything we want to do.

My question:

Is there a menu parameter which sets the Power Status to ON? Or does it switch to ON automatically when a PoE device is detected?

Any help is appreciated!

Chris

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ChristianB
Aspirant

Re: PoE setup on M4300-28G-PoE+

@DaneA,

the replacement has arrived. I've installed the system, and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the assistance!

ChristianB

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

There is no power available on the ports.

...Or does it switch to ON automatically when a PoE device is detected?

How do you know there is no power available? Plug one and you will see...

Standards compliant PoE power is not always "on" on PoE ports - on plugging, there is a handshake between the PO and the PD.  

Message 2 of 10
ChristianB
Aspirant

The connedted devices don't power up. Nothing happens. (The devices itself power up and work when they are connected to a different PoE switch.) I am aware about the handshake for PoE, and that it is only provided when the device needs it.

System > PoE > Basic > PoE Configuration > Power Status ON/OFF

Should this parameter automatically switch to ON when PoE demands are detected? Because it doesn't. It is always OFF. That's why I was wondering if there is a general configuration menu to enable or disable PoE systemwide.

Message 3 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ChristianB,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the current firmware version of the M4300-28G-PoE+ switch?

b. Kindly try this.  On the web-GUI, go to System > PoE > Basic > PoE Configuration.  Select the Unit 1 box and click on Apply.  Did the Status changed to "ON"?  Kindly post a screenshot of what you see. 

c. Have you tried to factory reset the M4300-28G-PoE+ switch?  If not yet, kindly try it and see if it helps.  Kindly read pages 653-654 of the M4300-28G-PoE+ switch user manual here on How to Reset the Switch to Its Factory Default Settings.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
ChristianB
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

thanks for jumping in. It will take 10 days until I have access to the device. But I will definitely do this when I'm back.

Cheers,

ChristianB

Message 5 of 10
ChristianB
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

the device is back on my desk, and I can answer your questions now.

a. Software Version

Firmware 12.0.2.6, Boot Version 1.0.0.8

Netgear_PoE3.jpeg

b. Unit 1 box

When I activate the box and click 'Apply', nothing happens. The status stays OFF. A PoE decive is connected and does not power up.

In the PoE Port Configuration, I disabled the 'Admin Mode', just to give it a try. When I tried to enable it again, there was an error message. This applies to all ports: disabling Admin Mode is possible, but when it is once disabled, I cannot enable it on any port.

Netgear_PoE.jpegNetgear_PoE2.jpeg

c. Reset Switch

I have resetted the switch, more than once, nothing changes.

Please find the screenshots attached.

Kind regards,

Christian

Message 6 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ChristianB,

Thanks for the feedback.  

I suggest you to update the firmware of the M4300-28G-PoE+ switch to v12.0.2.20.  You can download firmware v12.0.2.20 here.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the M4300-28G-PoE+ switch after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure the settings from scratch.  Then, check if the same problem occurs. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 10
ChristianB
Aspirant

Hi @DaneA,

thanks for your help. Meanwhile I have updated the firmware, contacted phone support, and they came to the conclusion to replace the device.

They were not able to fix the problem. We have several M4300 units, and only one is making trouble, regardless of the configuration and the firmware.

Thanks for your help, I think that this device is broken and replacement is on the way.

Cheers,

ChristianB

Message 8 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ChristianB,

Thanks for the update.  Let us know if you already received the replacement unit and check if its working fine. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 10
ChristianB
Aspirant

@DaneA,

the replacement has arrived. I've installed the system, and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the assistance!

ChristianB

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements