Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAX630E Firmware Update Fail

DocFixem
Tutor

WAX630E Firmware Update Fail

Over the weekend, I updated firmware on all four of our Access Points. Two were successful. Two Failed.

The error message, "Device failed to connect back" is displayed.

The firmware version on the update is 10.2.0.17. 

Looking at the Insight app, all four of the access points say they now have the same firmware version, with a green checkmark beside them.

However two of the devices are offline.

Using the Insight app, I tried rebooting them, but they say they are not online, so I can't.

When I click the Troubleshoot icon, it says that is only available for online devices. Brilliant. So helpful.

The web app is no help either.

Contact support? Nope. site says I can either review documentation or ask the community.

The manual is no help. 

So here I am.

You would think this kind of thing would be documented clearly.

What am I supposed to do to get these two devices back online

Please help!

Thanks,

Doc

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WAX630E?utm_source=contactus&utm_medium=website-internal&utm...

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DocFixem
Tutor

Re: WAX630E Firmware Update Fail

Through trial and error, I was able to resolve the issue. In case anyone reading this trail is looking for a solution rather than try to mine for answers in the manual or website try this:

1. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Access Point. (Remove the power source as well if not using POE.)

2. Log in to the WiFi router using the router's IP address and your admin credentials to access the cloud portal.

3. Go to the Devices tab.

4. Delete the device from the list.

5. Using a paper clip, insert in the reset hole on the Access Point and hold for 30 seconds.

6. On the cloud portal, in the Device tab, Add a device.

7. Input the serial number for your Access Point. You can find this information on the back of the unit.

8. Input the MAC address for your Access Point. Also on the back of the unit.

9. Just for good measure, insert the paper clip in the reset hole on the Access Point again and hold for 30 seconds.

10. Reconnect the ethernet cable to the Access Point. Be sure to use the correct port, and connect to power source if not using POE.

11. Watch the Cloud LED. it will blink once, then go solid amber for a while. If it is still solid amber after 5 minutes, remove ethernet and repeat steps 9 and 10.

12. Once the Cloud LED begins blinking steadily amber, the Access Point is updating. At this point, you can mount the unit and wait a while. 

These steps worked for me. I spent hours trying to find the answers on the website and in the manual, but nothing was this clear. This is the kind of stuff that should be readily available, but isn't.

Now that I know what works, I can do this process in minutes if it happens again.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DocFixem 

Are you able to ping those devices which are showing off line and able to access the web UI?

Please tell us the LED status (all LED colors) or share the picture of LEDs.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 8
DocFixem
Tutor

I am not able to ping.

I am working remotely, so I cannot tell you the LED status currently.

Any way I can do anything remotely to reboot/reinstall?

Message 3 of 8
DocFixem
Tutor

I am in the office today. the only LED that is lit is the cloud, and it is solid amber.

I tried to factory reset it using a paperclip, held it in for at least 10 seconds, but no change. Still solid amber. If I try to run troubleshooting on it, it says it is offline. I tried resetting from a browser, in the Insight Cloud Portal, but it says it is offline. Still just solid amber light on the access point.

Message 4 of 8
DocFixem
Tutor

Hello, @RaghuHR 

I am in the office and trying to reset these access points, but nothing is working.

Hopefully you can guide me.

The only LED lit is the cloud; it is solid amber.

Tried resetting, but no change.

Message 5 of 8
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DocFixem  I sent you PM on the workaround. Please check and provide your feedback.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 6 of 8
DocFixem
Tutor

Through trial and error, I was able to resolve the issue. In case anyone reading this trail is looking for a solution rather than try to mine for answers in the manual or website try this:

1. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Access Point. (Remove the power source as well if not using POE.)

2. Log in to the WiFi router using the router's IP address and your admin credentials to access the cloud portal.

3. Go to the Devices tab.

4. Delete the device from the list.

5. Using a paper clip, insert in the reset hole on the Access Point and hold for 30 seconds.

6. On the cloud portal, in the Device tab, Add a device.

7. Input the serial number for your Access Point. You can find this information on the back of the unit.

8. Input the MAC address for your Access Point. Also on the back of the unit.

9. Just for good measure, insert the paper clip in the reset hole on the Access Point again and hold for 30 seconds.

10. Reconnect the ethernet cable to the Access Point. Be sure to use the correct port, and connect to power source if not using POE.

11. Watch the Cloud LED. it will blink once, then go solid amber for a while. If it is still solid amber after 5 minutes, remove ethernet and repeat steps 9 and 10.

12. Once the Cloud LED begins blinking steadily amber, the Access Point is updating. At this point, you can mount the unit and wait a while. 

These steps worked for me. I spent hours trying to find the answers on the website and in the manual, but nothing was this clear. This is the kind of stuff that should be readily available, but isn't.

Now that I know what works, I can do this process in minutes if it happens again.

Message 7 of 8
samiam872
Aspirant

I tried the steps you mentioned with out success.  Sending it back.

wax630e firmware issue

I am unable to upgrade the firmware on my 7th WAX630e.

Current firmware: 10.2.0.17

Versions tried:

WAX630E_V10.2.0.19_firmware.tar

WAX630E_V10.3.2.4_firmware.tar

WAX630E_V10.5.0.14_firmware.tar

WAX630E_V10.6.0.7_firmware.tar

Error messages:

Firmware upgrade failure

Select a valid firmware file format.

An error occurred while updating the firmware

Using local log-in I tried:

two browsers 

two computers

updating from the zero-day page

updating from the dashboard

updating from Management/Maintenance/Upgrade/firmware upgrade using the web GUI and by downloading and locally selecting the firmware tar files.

Tried swapping to the backup firmware

Tried factory default using a needle when on

Tried factory default using a needle when on and when unplugged.  

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements