× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10400 won't power on. Power supply seems OK.

yipyipyipyip2
Aspirant

RN10400 won't power on. Power supply seems OK.

RN10400 acts like not getting power -- no lights, pressing power button has no effect.  Tried unplugging power supply from back and plugging back in many times.  Once I was able to get the unit to power on briefly, just long enough to finish booting, but then it shut back off.  Green light on power brick stays on constantly.  12V between pins on the power supply plug that goes into the back of the NAS.  110V wall outlet confirmed working fine.  Now what?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
yipyipyipyip2
Aspirant

Re: RN10400 won't power on. Power supply seems OK.

Update:  When I got it to turn on briefly before, I had just tipped the machine forward so I could read the serial number off the back.  Just tipped the machine forward again and it booted up.  I shimmed up the back of the unit so it is still tilted, and it's still running, at least for now.  Has anyone encountered this problem before?  Presumably this unit is on its last legs.  Can I take the disks out of this one and put them in a new NAS without reformatting?

Message 2 of 4
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi yipyipyipyip2,

Welcome to the Community!

Can I take the disks out of this one and put them in a new NAS without reformatting?

Yes, you can take the disks out and put in the same order to a newer ReadyNAS OS6 NAS. You do not need to reformat the drives. You may check this article as well for more information. 

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you tried wiggling the power connection?  One possibility here is that the solder joints between the power jack and board are cracked.  Puting the unit at an angle could change the way the power cord hangs and applied force to the conenction, making the joints touch enough to work.  Or, it could be something inside the power connector itself (cord side or NAS side).

I suppose something else coud be loose, though I can't think of anything else that putting the NAS on an angle would likely fix.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements