× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 - cannot access in Windows 10

psmerdon
Tutor

ReadyNAS Duo v2 - cannot access in Windows 10

Hardware: ReadyNAS Duo v2 - firmware 5.3.8

My ReadyNAS has stopped working with Windows 10 on my two Windows PCs (one 20H2 and the other 21H1).

I can still connect to it and access files from my iPad and AppleTV (using Infuse media player and File Browser app).

Browsing to the admin page fails with a "Can't reach this page... <ip addrress> refused to connect" using Chrome, Edge(chromium), or Firefox

Trying to view using File explorer reports "Windows cannot access ..." - I have tried using the name (\\readynas) and the IP address (\\192.168.1.100).

SMB 1.0 support is enabled in Windows.

I can ping the IP address OK. It's a fixed IP address.

RAIDar on the Windows PC can see the drive and report its Healthy status, but also cannot access it's Admin Page, or browse the files.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?

Thanks.

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried rebooting it?  It sounds like some of the services might have crashed.

Do you have a backup of the files?

Message 2 of 11
psmerdon
Tutor

Thanks for the reply,
I have twice done a hard reboot on the device.
Sadly, I am unable to do a controlled shutdown, because I can’t access the admin dashboard.

I do have a backup of the NAS, so if I have to replace the device there’s no data lost, only money and time.
I accept I’ll need to do that at some time, but I’d rather it was a time of my choosing.
Any other thoughts.

Regards
PeterS

Message 3 of 11
psmerdon
Tutor

I should also mention I have rebooted the two Windows PCs.

I suspect it’s a Windows config issue, as it’s OK on the iPad and Apple TV.

PeterS
Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@psmerdon wrote:
I suspect it’s a Windows config issue, as it’s OK on the iPad and Apple TV.

I was thinking you were only using DLNA on iOS.  But I see now you are also mentioning the file app.  Can you double-check that works?

Also, did try internet explorer on the PC?  Do you have any internet security software installed?

Message 5 of 11
psmerdon
Tutor

Thanks for the response @StephenB.

I can answer only one of your two questions.

Yes the iOS File Browser app works 100% on files on the NAS. 

I can view files in that app, and copy them to and from another network drive.

Windows Ver 21H1 totally removed Internet Explorer, so I was unable to check with that on my main PC.

When I checked on the machine still running 20H2, Internet Explorer *was* able to access the admin login, and the dashboard!

But then I checked on the other machine with Edge, and it was now working.

I can now also access the NAS with Windows Explorer.

Huh!

Did Internet Explorer somehow kick something back to life, or is it just coincidence?

Now I can access the NAS, I checked the log and saw nothing reported there - just the shutdowns and restarts.

Is there a more comprehensive log available?

Regards,

Peter Smerdon

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@psmerdon wrote:

Did Internet Explorer somehow kick something back to life, or is it just coincidence?

Likely coincidence, but that is just a guess.

@psmerdon wrote:

I checked the log and saw nothing reported there - just the shutdowns and restarts.

Is there a more comprehensive log available?

You can download the log zip file - there will be a lot of files in there, and a lot more information.

@psmerdon wrote:

Now I can access the NAS

Did Windows File Explorer start working again also?

Message 7 of 11
psmerdon
Tutor

Yes Windows File Explorer also started working.

Thaks for the tip on the log file.

I'm certainly not qualified to assess the files, but should it fail again hopefully somebody could make sense of them.

The issue being, if I can't access the dashboard I can't download the current log file - but this earlier one may give a clue.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Peter Smerdon.

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@psmerdon wrote:

Windows Ver 21H1 totally removed Internet Explorer, so I was unable to check with that on my main PC.

Not according to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/it-tools-to-support-windows-10-version-21... .

• Security updates. Windows 10, version 21H1 provides security updates for Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Apps, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Office Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Cryptography, the Windows AI Platform, Windows Kernel, Windows Virtualization, Internet Explorer, and Windows Media.

I've not made that update yet to check.  Are you sure you don't just have to re-enable it?  That article does expressly apply to the Pro version, so maybe they did remove it from the Home version.

Message 9 of 11
psmerdon
Tutor

Thanks for your comment @Sandshark .

Strange indeed.

Here's my experience.

My 20H2 machine runs IE as normal.

On my 21H1 (Win 10 Home) machine, IE is not on the start menu.

A Windows Search for "iexplore" only returns Edge (on 20H2 the same search returns both Edge and IE).

Using Windows Key+Run to try to run iexplore.exe gives a "Windows cannot find iexplore.exe" error.

A file search on the whole boot drive finally finds a copy of the file in the WinSxS folder.

(C:\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-i..etexplorer-optional_31bf3856ad364e35_11.0.19041.1_none_8ced8f07ec5dee21 )

Trying to run it brings a big popup reporting "This application cannot run on this PC"

-at this point I think "Oh that's right, I heard something about deprecating Internet Explorer".

.... obviously I mis-remembered.

Oh, and the whole issue is moot now, because apart from this request for another data point to troubleshoot my problem I have no interest in ever seeing IE again LOL.

Cheers,

Peter Smerdon.

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@psmerdon wrote:

Oh, and the whole issue is moot now, because apart from this request for another data point to troubleshoot my problem I have no interest in ever seeing IE again LOL.

Unfortunately, with an old legacy system like the Duo V2 you may have no choice at some point as browser producers depreciate the protocols it uses for the GUI.  As I said, you may have to enable IE, turn it on in the "Turn Windows features on or off" control panel, not just search for it.  Since you were able to find a part of it, it sounds like it's still there in the Home version to be turned on..

I suppose another option is to install an old version of another third party browser that you use exclusively for NAS access and never update it.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements