× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo v1

Fleecypaws
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo v1

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to replace my RNDv1 with a more modern setup but when I go send any files to it,  a banner appears saying can't connect because the NAS is being used by another program/ user or maybe it's locked in to another device?  

I only use this NAS as a back-up these days but i want to replace it with a modern equivalent.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Duo v1

How exactly are you accessing the NAS (web browser, file explorer, etc)?

What system are you accessing it from (Windows, MacOS, ???).  If Windows or Mac, then what version of the OS do you have?

Is the problem limited to writing to the NAS, or are you also seeing issues when reading files stored on the NAS?

Message 2 of 9
Fleecypaws
Aspirant

So my PC is Windows 10 and normally I just access the NAS through its web page.  I go into networks and the NAS is there so I just click on that and it takes to the sign in page and I'm in but I can't even do that at the moment.  

I'm no expert on these things but it looks like something else is connected to the NAS and I'm not sure what it is or how I can find out what it is.

Sorry  if this is a bit vague..

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@Fleecypaws wrote:

So my PC is Windows 10 and normally I just access the NAS through its web page.  I go into networks and the NAS is there so I just click on that and it takes to the sign in page and I'm in but I can't even do that at the moment.  

And that is how your are attempting to access this time as well?  I'm a bit confused because you said here you can't get into it at all, but your original post said something about a banner when you "send files", but no indication of where that banner was located or how you initiated the sending process.  Is it in your web browser?  A Windows pop-up?  Does it say the NAS is in use, or may be?

Depending on what protocols you have enabled, there may be more than one entry in "Network" for the NAS:  One looks like a NAS and opens the admin web page, one looks like a computer and opens a Windows Explorer window for it, and one looks like a Netgear logo and is for DLNA.  Which are you clicking on?

What you ultimately want to do is set up a backup job to copy the files, not use Windows to copy the files, so that the transfer doesn't go through your PC.  That is actually better done from the destination NAS so that file permissions are set right on it, but you may need to make changes to the source NAS (like enabling rsync, if it's not already enabled) to do that.

In some cases, Windows just get confused aboiut the status of ther NAS a rebooting the computer will fix that.  It's unclear to me if you are in that situation, but it's worth a try.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Fleecypaws wrote:

Do you know the IP address of the NAS?  Likely it is something like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x (where x is a number).

If you do, then you can try browsing to https://nas-ip-address/admin in your browser (using the real IP address of course).  

If you don't know the IP address, you can find it using the attached device list in your router's settings.  You can also download and install RAIDar from https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar.   It should also be able to report the IP address, and might also have some useful status information.

Message 5 of 9
Fleecypaws
Aspirant

Thanks so much to all for taking the time to reply,  I'll have a look at all the replies and take the necessary action.

As I've said, I'm not really tech savvy but then again I'm not used to having issues like this so when things go wrong, that's when I struggle a bit.

I'll report back soon.. 👍

Message 6 of 9
digidogian
Aspirant

If you have recently done an update to Windows 10, double check that NFS and CFS (Samba) are still set up.....

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@digidogian wrote:

If you have recently done an update to Windows 10, double check that NFS and CFS (Samba) are still set up.....

Most folks wouldn't use NFS with Windows 10 (though it is available).  You do need the SMB1/CIFS client enabled for the Duo - it is in "turn windows features on or off".

Though @Fleecypaws said he couldn't access the NAS web page either, and that doesn't require SMB1.

Message 8 of 9
digidogian
Aspirant

@StephenB 

My apologies, I took it that when he said about going to the network and clicking on it he was looking for shares not the admin page.  Was taking the whole hog approach 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements