× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by April 1st, 2023. For more details click here.

Sparc to x86

Clarkson
Aspirant

Sparc to x86

Hi
Why won't hard drives reformat form sparc to x 86 even with a reformat. Trying to reuse 2tb sea gates from a duo to a 312

Cheers

John
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Sparc to x86

The real question is what you can do to work around it.

You can delete the partitions if you connect one drive to a Windows system. Then install on that one, and hot-insert the second.
Message 2 of 6
Clarkson
Aspirant

But I haven't got that facility or know how. All info collected said that the 312 would reformat automatically.

John
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It should of course have done it automatically. In your first post you said "...even with a reformat..." Did you attempt to reformat? If so, how?

Do you have a scratch disk that wasn't in the duo that you could use?

If so, you can
(a) install using the scratch disk
(b) hot-insert one disk from the duo in slot 2
(c) after resync, hot-insert the second disk in slot 1.
Message 4 of 6
Clarkson
Aspirant

Will try that

Cheers

John
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your unit shipped with the first production ReadyNAS OS 6 firmware 6.0.0 on it. This is very old firmware and understandably there have been lots of improvements since then. I have updated the unit to the latest firmware 6.1.6 and since no data is on the unit yet I have also triggered a factory default to get you a clean setup on the new firmware. Probably should have wiped the partitions off the disks, but hopefully the factory default does this.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements