× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: - can' t backup remotely through ssh and rsync

Kalle13
Tutor

- can' t backup remotely through ssh and rsync

Hello,

I would like to backup some files from a Debian Computer via ssh and rsync. My firmware version is 6.10.1.

When I am configuring my remote backup I choose on the left side "remote" and on the right site "local". The configuration on the remote part runs successfully and the test is also successfull. I can login as root and can choose the folder. On the "local" side I choose a local folder on the NAS. But after I finish the procedure I always get the same failure: "The source and target can' t be equal".
That's weird they are not equal at all.  

Do you have an idea what this means?

Beat regards
Kalle

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Kalle13
Tutor

What should I say, now it works. I found an other post about this exact same error (shame on me). If anybody has this error here you can find the solution.

This Problem is solved!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What IP address are you using for the remote source?

Have you tried doing this with rsync (not rsync over ssh)?

Message 2 of 12
Kalle13
Tutor

Hi Steven,

> What IP address are you using for the remote source?

It' s an IP from my LAN range: 192.168.178.*

> Have you tried doing this with rsync (not rsync over ssh)?

No, because I have not configured rsync as a server.

Message 3 of 12
Kalle13
Tutor

*Stephen

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Kalle13 wrote:

> What IP address are you using for the remote source?

It' s an IP from my LAN range: 192.168.178.*

Main question here was whether it was the IP of the debian pc.

@Kalle13 wrote:

> Have you tried doing this with rsync (not rsync over ssh)?

No, because I have not configured rsync as a server.

???  It needs to be configured as a server on the debian machine in order for this to work.

Message 5 of 12
Kalle13
Tutor

> Main question here was whether it was the IP of the debian pc.
Yes, it was.

> ??? It needs to be configured as a server on the debian machine in order for this to work.

Sure? Here somebody says that if you have a correct verified ssh connection you only need rsync to be installed. Nothing more.
My ssh connection via keys works fine.

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Kalle13 wrote:

> ??? It needs to be configured as a server on the debian machine in order for this to work.

Sure? Here somebody says that if you have a correct verified ssh connection you only need rsync to be installed. Nothing more.
My ssh connection via keys works fine.

I'm not seeing that in your link, though maybe I am missing it.

rsync is a client-server protocol, and the NAS backup jobs are rsync clients.  The remote system needs to be set up as an rsync server.

If the remote system were another ReadyNAS, that would be done by enabling rsync as a protocol for the share.

Message 7 of 12
Kalle13
Tutor

> I'm not seeing that in your link, though maybe I am missing it.

Under the heading "How To Use Rsync to Sync with a Remote System". The author discribes two commands with whom you can push or pull the data via ssh to or from the remote system. There is no explanation that you must configure rsync as a server. I am also read this on other websites.

> rsync is a client-server protocol, and the NAS backup jobs are rsync clients. The remote system needs to be set up as an rsync server.

I only read that you have to configure rsync as a daemon if you want to run it like that (what I think you think is the server mode). There a only these two modes: the pull/push via ssh and run it as a daemon. Or may be I am understanding it all wrong.

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I don't personally run rsync-over-ssh, as my backup NAS is local so there is no need to encrypt the backup flow.  In that scenario you do need to run rsync as a daemon/server.

I've always assumed that you also need to set it up that way when you are running rsync-over-ssh.  Meaning that the rsync protocol is just being tunnelled over the ssh transport by the NAS (and that Netgear is not executing remote shell commands over ssh as your links describe).    The method I am envisioning is outlined in method 3 in this old blog post: http://toddharris.net/blog/2005/10/23/rsyncing-through-an-ssh-tunnel/.

Though I could be wrong about this, it would be the simplest approach for Netgear - since they could simply "bolt on" the tunnelling transport to their existing code for rsync backup jobs, and not create a completely new option.  Also, AFAIK you do need to enable rsync as a service on the remote NAS when you are setting up rsync-over-ssh backups between two ReadyNAS.  If they were running remote shell commands, you wouldn't need to do that.

Message 9 of 12
Kalle13
Tutor

Thank you for your long answer and your patients. I will configure rsync as a deamon on the remote maschine and than hopefully it will backup.

Best regards

Message 10 of 12
Kalle13
Tutor

I configured rsync as a daemon but the same failure pops up.
I configured the NAS with the "rsync Server" option. All settings where accepted and I`ve got a correct connection as root to the remote mashine ("Test" botton). Is there a log file on the NAS where I can get more information? I was looking for that but I could not find any. The systemlog also showed nothing importand to me.

This is my /etc/rsyncd.conf

[backup]

# destination directory
path = /var/snap/nextcloud/common/nextcloud/data/backup/files

# hoste you allow to access
hosts allow = *

# user permission
uid = root

# group permission
gid = root

# only read directory
read only = true

Message 11 of 12
Kalle13
Tutor

What should I say, now it works. I found an other post about this exact same error (shame on me). If anybody has this error here you can find the solution.

This Problem is solved!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements