Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

192.168.1.1 redirects to www.routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm but fails w/ no internet connection

ghramsey
Tutor

192.168.1.1 redirects to www.routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm but fails w/ no internet connection

I have a R6700.v3 router that is now a paperweight.
I just upgraded internet service to 900Mbps down / 20 up.   
My cable modem is a Surfboard 8200 which is capable of 1GBps down.

Checking speed after I got the modem factory reset I was being speed capped at 200Mbps through this router,
but plugging direct to the modem got 980ish. So the router is acting as a bottleneck.  I tried to log into the router interface,
but over the summer I changed my computer hardware and windows with it resulting in a lost password.   

Using the reset option offered by the interface (working at that time) kept telling me my security question, answers did not match what was on the router. (WRONG! I typed the correct answers but whatever.)  So I used the factory reset option.  And that brings me to the problem;

The router will not connect to the internet and it's web interface address 192.168.1.1 it immediately redirects to http://www.routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm and fails.  I also have never managed to get the android app to work at all and long ago discarded it from my phone. (I seem to be having a bad elctronics day.  I accidentally washed my phone this morning so I'm actually temporarilty without a phone even if I wanted to try the app.)   Is there ANY WAY to stop it redirecting instantly to http://www.routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm?  That seems to be the problem.  Following the factory reset it loads a page that asks me to accept some terms of service which I accept and then it immediately fails to load the routerlogin.net since it has no internet connection.  I have tried restarting the modem to no avail.   

I am experienced at troubleshooting windows and router hardware and I have exhausted my knowledge including restarting modem, router and windows.   Resetting windows network does not work and/or results in no problems found since it's merely saying "no internet connection" which is not a windows-fixable problem.  What is odd is I CAN ping google.com so the connection is going it's just not giving windows viable feedback.  Obviously it boils down to that router interface failing to find the login page it's looking for.   Windows DHCP shows I am getting an ip address in the 192.168.1.x range with 255.255.255.0 as subnet (I think) gateway is 192.168.1.1 but when I look at the status window I shows IPV4 has no internet, but IPV6 does.  I'm not sure what firmware version I have.  I suspect I have upgraded it in the last year so I think I have a buggy version that searching these forums say to upgrade to v120 which is latest.   

Question is HOW do I load that firmware with the problem I'm having?
Since it seems I'm getting an IPV6 IP address but not normal IPV4 can I
some how cause the router to connect to an IPV6 version of that routerlogin.net site?   
That seems like the only way, but IDK how to do it.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ghramsey
Tutor

Re: 192.168.1.1 redirects to www.routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm but fails w/ no internet connection

Thank you but it's moot.  While working to see if I could get an old laptop to wirelessly connect I accidentally used the wrong power brick. 
I had two nearby while testing and used the one from a 4port switch instead of the correct one.  Sadly, I did not discover my error until after the strong burning electronics smell was found to be coming from this router. 

As a boneheaded thing I now have a new one on order for $100 and it will here b4 noon.  Thank you Amazon.

Such is my hope a new unit will not exhibit the exact same sort of thing since I'm still without a working phone and the nighthawk app never worked correctly to begin with and I abandoned it's use.

That said, the entire issue began following the factory reset I made to clear the username/password since it would neither
accept the correct ones nor the security questions it prompts for following using the router s/n as backup.

It would not go to 192.168.1.1; it immediately redirects to the website routerlogin.net and b/c there is no working internet it immediately fails.   It never prompted for a user name and password.   It looks like this unit is made to use the phone app for this sort of reset.
Since my phone fell in the wash and I must replace that too I was without a phone to try the app.

Oh, all of this connection was attempted over Cat5e Ethernet plugged into port 1-4 with and without the modem on the WAN port.
Having it connected or not made zero difference.  

Anyway, thank you but unless the new router, which is same model, exhibits same symptoms this thread should be closed.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: 192.168.1.1 redirects to www.routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm but fails w/ no internet connection

A couple things. 

1. the SB8200 has 2x ethernet ports. Make sure nothing is in the 2nd port on it. The vast majority of ISP's only support 1 public ip address. Meaning only 1 device can be connected to it. So if you did have something else connected, disconnect everything from the modem, power it off for 2 minutes. then power it back on, give it a couple minutes, then connect the router to it. 

2. Try disconnecting the router from the modem and then factory reset the router. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. The lights should flash. Then hardwire a pc/laptop into the router. then with it still disconnected from the modem, try the 192.168.1.1 address. See if that works. 

3. The password reset questions have a bug. That issue is that if you didn't setup the questions, it still asks them but there isn't a correct answer. Sometimes you can get this after a factory reset if you're not entering the default info correctly. The defaults are: 

login: admin

password: password

All lower case. Once you've entered these, it'll ask you to change them and setup password recovery. keep it simple (this time) for changing the password. avoid special characters/spaces. 

Message 2 of 5
ghramsey
Tutor

Thank you but it's moot.  While working to see if I could get an old laptop to wirelessly connect I accidentally used the wrong power brick. 
I had two nearby while testing and used the one from a 4port switch instead of the correct one.  Sadly, I did not discover my error until after the strong burning electronics smell was found to be coming from this router. 

As a boneheaded thing I now have a new one on order for $100 and it will here b4 noon.  Thank you Amazon.

Such is my hope a new unit will not exhibit the exact same sort of thing since I'm still without a working phone and the nighthawk app never worked correctly to begin with and I abandoned it's use.

That said, the entire issue began following the factory reset I made to clear the username/password since it would neither
accept the correct ones nor the security questions it prompts for following using the router s/n as backup.

It would not go to 192.168.1.1; it immediately redirects to the website routerlogin.net and b/c there is no working internet it immediately fails.   It never prompted for a user name and password.   It looks like this unit is made to use the phone app for this sort of reset.
Since my phone fell in the wash and I must replace that too I was without a phone to try the app.

Oh, all of this connection was attempted over Cat5e Ethernet plugged into port 1-4 with and without the modem on the WAN port.
Having it connected or not made zero difference.  

Anyway, thank you but unless the new router, which is same model, exhibits same symptoms this thread should be closed.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

sorry you toasted your old router!

good luck with the new one. 

I know netgear has been pushing the app but I still prefer setting up through a browser. On mine, when it gives you the "please use app" for setup option, theres a link on the bottom of the page to click to setup with the browser. 

If you don't mind my asking, what router did you order? 

Message 4 of 5
ghramsey
Tutor

I purchased an identical router. Same model R6700v3.   Took a whopping 45 min for the app to connect to the router disconnecting 3x
and at first not at all b/c I chose the 5ghz band.  It refused outright to "see" the router on 5g changing to 2.4ghz  cured that, but it stil took endless minutes and concluded with a firmware upgrade that I was not allowed to acknowlege not stop.  It just did it and warned not to power off or stop it.

But after some further fiddling about with the web interface the browser does log in.
All in all a frustrating experience complicated by enforcement to use a phone app.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7