Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk dropping 5G wifi connection - Fixed when restarted

bruzogiri
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk dropping 5G wifi connection - Fixed when restarted

Hi

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced similar issues.

I have my 5Ghz wifi connection connected to my desktop and recently noticed that it sometimes drops out. The 2.4ghz is still up (although high ping).

After i restart the router, everything is fine and the wifi is working perfectly.

Is this a common issue and if so, how can I fix?

Message 1 of 3

Which Netgear device are you using?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that sits between this router and the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems.

This explains some of the drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward is 100% correct. 

More details are needed. 

Router? 

Firmware on it? 

Gateway its connected to? 

What 5ghz channels are you using? DFS channels can cause drops if you have radar/weather stations in the area (or anything else using dfs). 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series