Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7850 Losing DNS after latest firmware update

macdanif
Tutor

Nighthawk R7850 Losing DNS after latest firmware update

I have a Nighthawk X6 R7850.  I have it connected to a Spectrum Cable Modem.  After the latest firmware update, I have noticed it randomly loses DNS.  What I mean by this, is that DNS resolution fails.  My wireless devices stop being able to make new connections and the wifi says connected without internet.  My wired devices are unable browse or ping by name.  The wifi radio still shows available and none of the actual network connectivity fails, the router just stops responding to DNS queries.  It is completely random.  Sometimes, it happens twice a day, sometimes it won't happen for 3 days, but it happens quite often.  A reboot of the router generally solves the issue.  I have had this router for almost 2 years and this just started with the latest firmware update.  (router information at the bottom)  I have changed the DNS server settings to use public DNS servers instead of the ISP default.  What's strange is, I can ping the DNS servers when this happens, so it is not a connectivity issue.  I have searched all types of forums and come up empty.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem and/or have a solution?

Thanks,

Michael

Hardware VersionR7850

Firmware VersionV1.0.5.76_10.1.82

GUI Language VersionV1.0.4.70_2.1.49.1

LAN Port 

MAC Address3C:37:86:77:4C:E1

IP Address192.168.1.1

DHCPOn

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7850 Losing DNS after latest firmware update

Its happened across multiple product lines. 

Some have been fixed by enabling ipv6

others by using a different dns provider. 

And some have had to downgrade the firmware back a version. 

Not sure what method will work best for you. 

Message 2 of 6
macdanif
Tutor

I did see another article for a different model where doing factory reset resolved the problem.  I have done that today and restored my settings.  Will give it a couple days and see how it goes.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Let us know if that solution worked for you!

Message 4 of 6
macdanif
Tutor

Sadly, the factory reset did not work.  And now as a consequence, Circle has stopped working altogether.  I had another instance of the router losing DNS resolution.  The loss of circle kind of kicks it for me.  I have a teenage and 6 year old daughter with connected devices, that I count on circle for controlling screentime and content.  Whatever netgear has done/is doing with their product line, they need to get this fixed.  I am not going to waste time with weeks of troubleshooting.  I have already purchased a new product to replace this router.  I felt that this router was a superior product for the majority of the time that I've owned it, but the last couple months have been stressful.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Did you try downgrading the firmware? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements