Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000p

Johnbinns
Aspirant

R7000p

I am using ready share for accessing my USB port, which has attached a western digital 6Tb… I find it too slow to stream.so I am trying to add a secondary SSD storage in order to stream to the television. My router will not recognize my SSD storage… Why?
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000p

K. 
Well for the most part. USB on a router a with a USB Drive attached will not have the greatest performance. I don't believe that or may have been tuned well. This router is several years old now and I presume that maybe the USB drivers with in the FW may not have been well kept up to date. Along with newer rev's of USB 3x now and with all the in betweens. Anything is possible. 

And possible that there could be some driver size limitations as well. 

Check formatting on the drive too. I believe exFAT or was an option for NG routers. 

And as a suggestion to future proof your self, you might want to consider NAS. I did the years ago. Never looked back to USB storage. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. it usually isn't the hard drive in these instances that is the bottleneck for speed but the usb/router. A router based usb device is nice to have but after a certain speed point, its time to upgrade to something designed for it. 

2. hard drive compatibility is a hit/miss thing on these routers. did you ensure its properly formatted? 

https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-ReadySHARE-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 8
Johnbinns
Aspirant

It was formatted already for Mac… However, I couldn’t even get it to recognize the drive so nothing was happening and I had no control
Message 3 of 8
Johnbinns
Aspirant

I am reasonably sure that the router USB port will not except the 1.1 amp draw.
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the USB drive have it own power adapter by chance? If not then ya, won't be supported well on the USB port I believe. 

Message 5 of 8
Johnbinns
Aspirant

Yes… But it only accepts .740 A.
Message 6 of 8
Johnbinns
Aspirant

Correction, 7.50 mA.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

K. 
Well for the most part. USB on a router a with a USB Drive attached will not have the greatest performance. I don't believe that or may have been tuned well. This router is several years old now and I presume that maybe the USB drivers with in the FW may not have been well kept up to date. Along with newer rev's of USB 3x now and with all the in betweens. Anything is possible. 

And possible that there could be some driver size limitations as well. 

Check formatting on the drive too. I believe exFAT or was an option for NG routers. 

And as a suggestion to future proof your self, you might want to consider NAS. I did the years ago. Never looked back to USB storage. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7