Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacement/upgrade for D7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

TheWayOfYahweh
Aspirant

Replacement/upgrade for D7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Hi,

What is the upgrade/replacement unit now for a  D7000 - Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Replacement/upgrade for D7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

I haven't seen netgear working on any new DSL modems lately. that's one of the newest I've seen. 

Message 2 of 5
TheWayOfYahweh
Aspirant

Hi, 

Strange,  as it seems only used ones appear to be available out there now.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the DSL Modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Thank you. 

@TheWayOfYahweh wrote:

Hi,

What is the upgrade/replacement unit now for a  D7000 - Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5

@plemans wrote:

I haven't seen netgear working on any new DSL modems lately. that's one of the newest I've seen. 

That just about sums it up.

Netgear, and several other brands, seem to have abandoned the DSL market.

No idea why. Maybe the ISPs are making it harder for third party devices to sign in. (They have already prevented cable modems from being updated by users and/or hardware suppliers.) Or it may be that the DSL market is slowly dying.

In any case, a combined modem/router is probably not the best option. You end up with a limited choice of router features.

I switched from a D6400 modem/router to a DM200 modem and an R7800 router, with added Orbis.

But you can't buy a DM200 off the shelf these days. After I bought one, I ended up with an open box for a second DM200  modem.

Now even those are hard to get. DM200s crop up regularly on second-hand markets, albeit sometimes as silly prices.

Unfortunately, ISPs like to supply DSL modem/routers that go out of their way to frustrate anyone who wants to use a grown-up router behind the garbage the ISPs supply. Their boxes don't allow bridge (modem only) mode.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series