Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SXR80 DHCP and Routing Issues

DevNull12345
Aspirant

SXR80 DHCP and Routing Issues

Recently my Orbi Pro has had random issues with DHCP and routing. Devices on wireless suddenly lose access to the Internet, even if they are on a reserved IP. If I disconnect and reconnect they get the 169 address. ipconfig /release and /renew leads to a time out. I reboot the router and satellites and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. The devices impacted are Windows, Linux, HassOS, Android, IOS, and whatever the TVs are running. The endpoint does not seem to make any difference. There are NO error messages, there are NO logs that indicate issues, there are NO indications whatsoever something is wrong. The system was bullet proof until this last firmware update. After that my family is about to kill me and I am about to throw this POS out the window I am so frustrated.

Details:
Firmware: 4.2.2.130
Router mode
Plugged into a Motorola cable modem for Comcast, (soon to be Starlink).
One satellite is wired back to the router, one is not

I made the mistake of not backing everything up prior to this last firmware update so I do not think I have any way to roll it back, (dumb and lazy, I know, don't say it!)

I am starting to see forum posts about this in various places all this week so I think this is a bad firmware, maybe? Is there another way to roll it back to a specific version?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

(Yes, 30 years in IT as a network engineer, security architect, and consultant for a couple very large MSSP's, so I hope I know what I am doing....)

Message 1 of 8
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Can you PM me your debug files? Go http://IP/debug.htm and click 'start capture' and 'save'.

Message 2 of 8
DevNull12345
Aspirant

Thank you Bruce! Give me a few days. Everything seems to be behaving and stable now. This appears to happen every 5 days or so. I moved many of the assignments to reservations as a shot in the dark. I noticed in the logs many if the devices are pulling different IP's every 24 hours rather than renewing their existing IP's even though I do not have near enough devices to fill the pool so. Without the debug logs, (I didn't know about them! Thanks!), I thought perhaps it was hanging and not releasing the old IP's in its back end DB, (as I said, shot in the dark given it does not explain the lack of a response to the request).

Message 3 of 8
jcharnet
Guide

Was your issue solved?
I’m facing the same thing. Almost 3 years flawless WiFi router. Now, I find my self using my phones mobile plan and hotspot more often then not. 😞
Message 4 of 8
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DevNull12345 @jcharnet 

Have you guys tried downgrading the firmware and see if the issue will disappear? If not, I suggest you grab your router/satellite logs and debug logs, and open a support ticket with NETGEAR to report this issue.

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 8
jcharnet
Guide

A few days of back and forth with support, and today I got a call to troubleshoot. Murphy’s law is real, so when I shared my screen I only had one device with 169, my printer. The whole week I had multiple. He asked me to turn off the printer, wait a few minutes and turn it back on, guess what happened? It got the right IP. 😞
So for him, problem solved. For me, it might happen again. Let’s see.
Message 6 of 8
jcharnet
Guide

The problem did happen again, was even worse then before. Support could not solve it, was escalated to level 3 support.
While waiting for level 3 I decided to change the 5G channel for my main wireless. Changes 3 times and then everything seemed to be more stable. Level 3 support suggested some things, and when I told them I changed the channel this was their response.
——
Thanks for your update. Yes, it's most of the time the channel is the issue. This is due to some location with plenty of wireless noise and channel needs to be changed
——

Posting this for future reference to whoever faces this issue. If you are getting 169 IPs, start changing the 5G channel until it stabilizes.

Thank you everyone for comments and suggestions

Joao.
Message 7 of 8
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

HI @jcharnet,

Thank you for following our advice to get support involved with this issue and we are glad that all is working as intended now in your end. 

Kind regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements