Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Im having issues with rebooting as well

JesseDiaz
Guide

Im having issues with rebooting as well

Im having issues with rebooting as well.  When I first purchased this in December 2023, the router was rebooting every hour.  I reached out to the community here and got some help from a Senior Wireless Engineer.  He provided me the BETA firmware V9.10.4.1_1.1.17.  The made the reboots less frequent but its still rebooting.  When it reboots, 50% of my devices arent responsive so I unplug the power cord and 50% of the time, it resolves the unresponsive devices.

I had the RBR850 set up before this one with now issues.

I see that now firmware V9.10.4.1_1.1.17 is on the Netgear website.  SInce I have the BETA version, would any of you recommend that I donwload the one on Netgear in case there was a change between the BETA and the final one?

Message 1 of 88
mhbare
Apprentice

This is the same released version I’m running and I’m still seeing reboots. Around 3-4 a day.
Message 2 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Damn.  I was hoping if I installed the version that was on the website, I might see less issues.  Do you have a ticket with Netgear for the issue?

Message 3 of 88
mhbare
Apprentice

I have my 3 ticket open with support.  Been trying to get this resolved since 12/26.  Still no improvement.

Message 4 of 88
mhbare
Apprentice

Did you ever get your reboot issue resolved?  

Message 5 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-7-BE-Mesh-Systems/New-RBE970-RBE971-Firmware-Version-9-11...

@JesseDiaz wrote:

Im having issues with rebooting as well.  When I first purchased this in December 2023, the router was rebooting every hour.  I reached out to the community here and got some help from a Senior Wireless Engineer.  He provided me the BETA firmware V9.10.4.1_1.1.17.  The made the reboots less frequent but its still rebooting.  When it reboots, 50% of my devices arent responsive so I unplug the power cord and 50% of the time, it resolves the unresponsive devices.

I had the RBR850 set up before this one with now issues.

I see that now firmware V9.10.4.1_1.1.17 is on the Netgear website.  SInce I have the BETA version, would any of you recommend that I donwload the one on Netgear in case there was a change between the BETA and the final one?

Message 6 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

No progress.  Netgear is still working on it.  Last I heard 3 days ago was that they were still waiting on the engineering teams response.

But i did see that there is a new firmware out.....

New - RBE970 / RBE971 Firmware Version 9.11.0.1 Re... - NETGEAR Communities

Haven't tried it as its not showing up on my router so I may have to manually update it.......

Message 7 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Im going to give it a try tomorrow.  But is this supposed to resolve the router rebooting?

Message 9 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Let us know after 3 days or sooner if it doesn't. 

I recommend a full power OFF of the RBR and RBS units for 1 minute then back ON after the FW has been applied. 

Message 10 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Well I had high hopes but my router randomly rebooted.  I followed the manual update instruction exactly including the order to update and turning off everything including the modem and turning everything back on in the order recommended.

Message 11 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

How many times has it rebooted on it's own? 

Does the front LED in front turn ON, which color if it does?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 12 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Good afternooon-

I only was ohysically present for only 1 reboot.  Im assuming I can confirm this through a LOG feature in the router?  Is there some walkthrough that will show me how to do this?

AS before the latest update to the firmware, the ligh blinks white when it’s rebooting.  I think Im good with the CAT6s cable but I’ll confirm.  I have a modem that I use for my 1gb SPectrum Internet.  I’ll have to verify the modem make and model tonight.                  

This is the same setup I used with my Orbi 850 and the prior 2 generations                           

Message 13 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Advanced.png

Look for uptime here:

ShowStats.png

Or type router IP address/debug.htm into a browser:

RBRDebugUptime.png

Message 14 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Ok along with the info I provided in my prior post:

I looked at the STATISTICS and as of right now, my uptime is 34 minutes so it must have just rebooted.  So it looks like its rebooting once a day like before.

I use Spectrum Internet.  It has a bi SPECTRUM on the side of the modem and I didnt see anything else otehr than that to indicate the maker.  I did have a Model # ET2251.  Underneath that it shows "DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA

Hope this helps

Message 15 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Sounds like there is a issue on the RBR side even with updated FW. 

Any chance you can access the modems config page to see the uptime on it? Just curious if uptime is same or longer. I would presume longer fi the modem hasn't done anything. 

Thats a Hitron branded modem which has a 2.5Gb WAN Port. 

Cat cable CAT6A STP? Just confirming cable is STP and not UTP...

Message 16 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

JesseDiaz_0-1706908030400.png

THis is what I see in the SHOW STATICTICS option on the router.  I dont see where to scroll down to see the prior UPTIMES

Message 17 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok that's fine. Seems like the WAN port was reset along with LAN but wireless is still up and running and survived the reboot. Interesting. 🤔

Message 18 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

AS soon as I can people take a break from working, I will look at the ethernet cable that is connected from the modem to the router.  Im assuming there will be writing on the cable.  If I see Cat6a somehwere on the cable, I should be good right?  Or is there something else I should be looking for?

Message 19 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes CAT6A and STP and there should be a metal surrond around the ends of the plugs

Message 20 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Ah the metal surrounding will help identify it,  Ill let you know as soon as I go check it

Message 21 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you RBS ethernet connected or wireless? 

If ethernet connected, direct connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS? If so, Brand and model please...

Message 22 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Hi again-

They are connected via ethernet.  I went through the question on switches with Netgear but I have a Netgear GS752TPV2.  I made sure all GREEN features were disabled along with one other thing....I cant recall what it was but it had something for loop security?  But I made sure that was disabled as well

Message 23 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

Please disconnect the RBS from the switch and let them wirelessly connect if thats possible. Then observe the system.

Message 24 of 88
JesseDiaz
Guide

Ok. Specifically observe if it continues to reboot?
Message 25 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 87 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7