× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Optimising setup to maximise broadband speed

IFGinn
Follower

Optimising setup to maximise broadband speed

Hi,

Just joined the community and hooe you all are keeping well! 

I was fortunate enough to install fibre to the home.

I receive about 800MB downlink which is great, but the Netgear switch now seems to be the bottleneck.

I phoned my broadband provider and complained that I was only getting 100MB downlink. Their support investigated and discoverd the 100MB link constraint between the router and switch.

My route is a Technicolour DGA4134 which is a Gigabit router wth 4 1000MB ports.

Currently my set up is to have 1 ethernet conneciton between the router and the netgear switch. All other devices are connected to the switch.

Q1

Is my understanding correct that the maximum the netgear ethernet switch port will support is 100MB?

Q2 

Should I be using the 4 ethernet connections of the router, i.e. each 100MB to maximise the bandwidth? Thererfore acheiving a combined 400MB.

Q3

Can I bond the 4 switch ports to create one larger broadband pipe to improve the pacekt management?

Q4 if the above is not possible, is there an alternative Gigabit unmanaged switch which can be recommended? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ian

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 3

Re: Optimising setup to maximise broadband speed

@IFGinn wrote:

I receive about 800MB downlink which is great, but the Netgear switch now seems to be the bottleneck.

Is the JGS524Ev2 switch the only Netgear device on your network?

If so, you probably won't get much feedback in a section given over to talking about General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk and Non-Orbi).

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Smart / Plus / Click Switches - NETGEAR Communities

or maybe

Discuss Ethernet Switches Plus and Pro Managed

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Optimising setup to maximise broadband speed

Q1: No. The swith has all Gigabit-capable ports. Check the NETGEAR 24‑Port Gigabit Smart Managed Plus Switch JGS524Ev2 Installation Guide for the link rate on the connection in question. Check the cable or wiring btween the router and the switch - typical reason for 100 Mb/s link rates are incomplete cables, bad pairing. A complete and healthy CAT5A or better netowrk cable with all four pairs correctly crimped is required - this allows GbE 1000 Mb/s

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements