Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lost Admin access for no apparent reason

jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: Home Folder Dissapeared

If you only want to use ReadyCLOUD again, access the local GUI with the local admin user and reactivate ReadyCLOUD. Otherwise:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Home-Folder-Dissapeared/m-p/1257891#M127405

Message 326 of 707
BriBrom
Star

Re: ReadyCloud service went offline and Delete all user accounts and files

So what are you doing about it? How can you mess things up for your customers so badly, send out a cryptic email on a Friday afternoon, and then leave us all hanging? How dare you!

Message 327 of 707
MarcelR
Aspirant

Suddenly my ReadyNAS has lost all ReadyCloud Users

Serialnumber 3EPE51EM00F03

Firmware 6.6.1

Today I couldn't connect to the NAS throug the ReadyCloud. It was reported as offline. But it was on the Network. I connected as admin and found that the Cloud switch was turned off. Much worse all readycloud users except my own have disapeared.

This makes me very very unhappy - how secure is the system ? How is it possible that these crucial data got lost ?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 328 of 707
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: Suddenly my ReadyNAS has lost all ReadyCloud Users

If you wish to attempt recovery of data that was inside deleted ReadyCLOUD home folders: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Home-Folder-Dissapeared/m-p/1257891#M127405

Otherwise, if you only want to use ReadyCLOUD again, access the local GUI with the local admin user and reactivate ReadyCLOUD.
WARNING: If you want to attempt data recovery, read the top link first.
If you want to recover the password of the local admin account: https://kb.netgear.com/22784/How-do-I-recover-a-lost-administrator-password-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stor...

For more info on what happened: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Home-Folder-Dissapeared/m-p/1258789#M127503

Message 329 of 707
BadBob
Guide

I could really use some assistance. Much of this NAS stuff is really technical and more than I really want to digest.

My 102 went down. I use a Mac. I can no longer get into my Admin account nor have ReafyCloud access. I can use Raidr only to the extent of seeing the NAS as healthy. I can access Mynetgear via Safari. That same user/password should be working on my Readycloud access but does not. I can "see" the NAS folders on my Mac in a finder window but cannot access inside the folders. Can someone tell me please where I stand with all this and if there is something I can do to effectively recover my files?? Thank you.
Message 330 of 707
BadBob
Guide

It won't accept my admin user and password to get into my account on my Mac.
Message 331 of 707
coloatty
Luminary

Re: Suddenly my ReadyNAS has lost all ReadyCloud Users

The community is abuzz about this problem. Current theory is that ReadyOS has unregistered ReadyCLOUD users and deleted cloud user home folders on NASes in response to a server outage related to ReadyCLOUD user credentials. Best to take a deep breath before doing anything else.

If you only want to use ReadyCLOUD again and don't care about data loss in a cloud user home folder on a NAS, access the local GUI with the local admin user and reactivate ReadyCLOUD. Otherwise:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Home-Folder-Dissapeared/m-p/1257891#M127405

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 332 of 707
trillian796
Guide

@mdgm wrote:

We didn't delete any data remotely. The process was automatic. We have identified the cause of why this happened and it is related to an unexpected ReadyCLOUD outage that was different in nature to previous outages.

So the cause the of the outage was what ?

So which of your competitors' products would you suggest that I back up your system with ??? just so that I know I have a reliable backup of my backup system ? 

Message 333 of 707
trillian796
Guide

@BadBob wrote:
I could really use some assistance. Much of this NAS stuff is really technical and more than I really want to digest.

My 102 went down. I use a Mac. I can no longer get into my Admin account nor have ReafyCloud access. I can use Raidr only to the extent of seeing the NAS as healthy. I can access Mynetgear via Safari. That same user/password should be working on my Readycloud access but does not. I can "see" the NAS folders on my Mac in a finder window but cannot access inside the folders. Can someone tell me please where I stand with all this and if there is something I can do to effectively recover my files?? Thank you.

Are you on the LAN where the readyNas is ? If so try going to the admin page (https://ip adress of the NAS/admin) and login with the username admin and password 'password'

Some people seem to have had the admin logins reset to the default.

From another thread  :

Did you enable password recovery in Admin GUI before?

if you enable password recovery,

You can reset your ReadyNAS Admin password by accessing http://ip_address_of_readynas/password_recovery.

if if you didn't enable password recovery, you will need to perform a firmware re-installation to reset the admin password, password will change to default after OS Reinstall.

https://kb.netgear.com/20898/ReadyNAS-ReadyDATA-Boot-Menu?cid=wmt_netgear_organic  - Do the OS reinstall option

DO NOT DO THE  Factory default.

WARNING: The factory default reboot process resets the unit to factory settings, erases all data, resets all defaults, and reformats the disk to X-RAID.

DO the OS reinstall Option. Reinstalls the firmware from the internal flash memory to the disks. The OS reinstall boot mode can be useful when the system crashes and corrupts some configuration files. OS reinstall boot mode also resets some settings on your unit, such as Internet protocol settings and the administrator password, to defaults.

Hope that this helps you to get into your system

Once in the admin section go into the cloud tab and turn the ready cloud back on ( as it is likely to be switched off)

That is the good news.

If there was data under the ReadyCloud User home directories then that is more than likely to have been lost I'm afraid as Netgear have yet to tell us how to recover that

Message 334 of 707
coloatty
Luminary

If there was data in a ReadyCLOUD user home folder, you may want to leave the ReadyCLOUD user OFF and avoid any change in the status quo until NETGEAR says anything about whether data can be recovered.

Message 335 of 707
trillian796
Guide

@trillian796 wrote:

@BadBob wrote:

Are you on the LAN where the readyNas is ? If so try going to the admin page (https://ip adress of the NAS/admin) and login with the username admin and password 'password'

Some people seem to have had the admin logins reset to the default.

From another thread  :

Did you enable password recovery in Admin GUI before?

if you enable password recovery,

You can reset your ReadyNAS Admin password by accessing http://ip_address_of_readynas/password_recovery.

if if you didn't enable password recovery, you will need to perform a firmware re-installation to reset the admin password, password will change to default after OS Reinstall.

https://kb.netgear.com/20898/ReadyNAS-ReadyDATA-Boot-Menu?cid=wmt_netgear_organic  - Do the OS reinstall option

DO NOT DO THE  Factory default.

WARNING: The factory default reboot process resets the unit to factory settings, erases all data, resets all defaults, and reformats the disk to X-RAID.

DO the OS reinstall Option. Reinstalls the firmware from the internal flash memory to the disks. The OS reinstall boot mode can be useful when the system crashes and corrupts some configuration files. OS reinstall boot mode also resets some settings on your unit, such as Internet protocol settings and the administrator password, to defaults.

Hope that this helps you to get into your system

Once in the admin section go into the cloud tab and turn the ready cloud back on ( as it is likely to be switched off)

That is the good news.

If there was data under the ReadyCloud User home directories then that is more than likely to have been lost I'm afraid as Netgear have yet to tell us how to recover that

If you need to access the boot menu read this :

https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312?cid=wmt...

and make sure you know exactly what you are looking for before attempting

Message 336 of 707
trillian796
Guide

@coloatty wrote:

If there was data in a ReadyCLOUD user home folder, you may want to leave the ReadyCLOUD user OFF and avoid any change in the status quo until NETGEAR says anything about whether data can be recovered.

True, Agreed.

But surely by using the system at all you are risking the recovery of the data if in fact Netgear decide we can recover the data. It depends on how the 'deleted data' space on disk, is added back on to the 'free' queue

Message 337 of 707
coloatty
Luminary

The OS Reinstall that trillian796 suggests should affect only internal flash memory and not a data drive where ReadyCLOUD home folder data is located. One can also boot to Volume Read Only. But at this point, as trillian796 notes, "make sure you know exactly what you are looking for [or doing] before attempting" anything.

If I were concerned about cloud user home folder data, I would try to keep the NAS in its current state until NETGEAR provides further direction. That may mean shutting it down if that is the best way to avoid changes from scheduled snapshots, backups, time machine or other activity, etc.

Message 338 of 707
jak0lantash
Mentor

The system volume, the swap volume and the data volume(s) are all on the disks. But in different partitions. An OS Reinstall writes only to the system volume, so performing this doesn't reduce the chances of recovery (on its own).

To prevent any write on the data volume(s), I'd advise you to boot in read/only via the Boot Menu once the OS Reinstall complete.

Message 339 of 707
trillian796
Guide

I gave up on the restore of my data.

I am fairly fortunate in that I am a home user and I use the NAS system for backing up my computer etc, family computers,

and my music system (which was fortunately in it's own share). So most stuff I can recreate. Its just taken time out of my weekend messing about

backing up stuff all over again 😞 and have to get hold of family stuff again.

So I am in a better position than some/most, but angry as this is supposed to be my reliable backup system, and I paid a lot of money (as a home user) for this system.

Message 340 of 707
coloatty
Luminary

Sounds as if your disaster recovery system worked for you this time. Stuff happens for whatever reason. Sometimes one has to backup the backup from originals. I too hate to use my time redundantly when I thought that's what my redundant device was there to prevent. I really empathize with those less fortunate who have lost what may not be recovered.

I too am mostly a home NAS user. I have a ReadyNAS 628 (source) with rsync backups to a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus. I also do a manual back up of the source to hard drives in an eSATA external drive. I have configured the rsync backups to delete files and folders on the backup that have been deleted on the source. When I happened to check the status of a backup process last week, I actually saw the cloud user home folder disappear on the backup after it had been deleted on the source during this ReadyCLOUD incident. Fortunately, the cloud user home folder was empty, and I was using ReadyCLOUD only for remote access. I am rethinking some of my backup strategy and will start using snapshots on the backup volumes. 

If anyone hasn't read jak0lantash's redundancy advice and strategy, it is recommended:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/My-recommendation-Don-t-use-ReadyCloud-user-hom...

I'm not prepared to adopt the entire strategy. But I am more informed about risks and avoidances than I otherwise would be and what changes I may want to make.

Message 341 of 707
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cant access my http://readycloud.netgear.com site

Hi britrb,

You can probably setup the FTP on the ReadyNAS.

How do I configure File Transfer Protocol (FTP) settings on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Then setup port forwarding on your router.

For you to access it you can download an FTP client to connect or on the Windows Explorer you can just type int ftp://External_IP_of_ISP

Another possible thing to do is to setup a VPN connection. You can simply access the NAS like you were on the network of you do this.

Regards,

Message 342 of 707
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dhampton18,

Here is a statement from one of our support that is working with our engineering group.

We have identified the users that were affected by the ReadyCLOUD outage from March 30th 8AM-12PM Pacific. These users experienced reset Home Folders for ReadyCLOUD user accounts. We will be reaching out to ReadyCLOUD owner accounts via e-mail to follow up to offer assistance.

Regards,

Message 343 of 707
abrandt
Aspirant

Same issue here. Lost admin/password access for no reason...

Message 344 of 707
ITME-DF
Star

I posted on this subject in another thread. Fortunately for me I wasn't using the Home folders for my ReadyCLOUD connected users and by default hid them from the staff of my customers. However there are many, many threads on this subject and obviously many hundreds (if not thousands) of NETGEAR customers affected by this 'outage'.

This really is a huge scandal that probably will/should end up in the press. Essentially, the design and infrastructure of the NETGEAR ReadyNAS products is seriously flawed if a fault or 'outage' at NETGEAR has removed/deleted/lost/corrupted user accounts and as a result triggered the hardware to delete the associated user data stores. The administrators of these devices as well as the users didn't cause this and it seems that NETGEAR is slowly 'owning up' to this problem.

It's really not appropriate to blame the users for this issue or for not having a backup. Many users bought this kit to utilise the RAID technology and simply didn't expect user accounts and data to magically disappear. What about the users that are backing up or sychronising their data between ReadyNAS devices?

Until now I was quite confident installing this kit for my clients but that confidence has well and truly gone. We need straight answers as to how and why this has happened. Was this a hack attack, a fire at a NETGEAR datacentre, a member of staff being malicious or a member of staff making changes to systems without fully understanding the consequences? And why hasn't NETGEAR, a company providing data storage and backup solutions not got a readily available backup of the ReadyCLOUD user account database? We need future OS updates to provide safeguards and mechanisms to protect data and 'Home folders' even if accounts are deleted or lost.

I've literally spent the entire weekend rebuilding/recreating user accounts, recreating shares, sending out share invites and configuring FTP access for my customers that cannot be without some method of accessing their data if there's a problem with ReadyCloud. I'm really weary of this and need answers.

Message 345 of 707
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Cant access my http://readycloud.netgear.com site

During the time ReadyCLOUD Server was down, if the ReadyNAS was rebooted, there may be a chance that data was lost in the /home share.

NETGEAR Technical Support has contacted, by email, all the users whose devices were rebooted on Thursday morning, U.S. Pacific Time.

Doug Cheung 

Message 346 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We are working through what changes need to be made.

The outage led the NAS to believe it had been deregistered from ReadyCLOUD so it acted accordingly.

I'm already attempting data recovery for some units. There is typically a long wait to see what's able to recovered.

Whether it's a situation like this or something else, regardless of what kit you use it's only a matter of time before you'll need your backup for something. Part of what this community is here for is for advice to be given on what to do in the future. Ultimately whilst we do all we can to protect customer data, it's up to you to implement a backup strategy that you're comfortable balances the cost, risk and complexity of maintenance appropriately. If data is stored on just the one device, no matter what that device is, it's not backed up.

Message 347 of 707
Ataddeo
Aspirant

I guess Netgear has gone the way of Linksys/cisco junk.  We're left in a big black hole.  I guess I'm a bit more lucky than most, I can still access my data, but I can log on or set any preferences since Readycloud tells me my nas102 is offline.  That goofy password thing hasn't work since I installed this mess.

Message 348 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: User has been Auto deleted - all data lost

The recovery we'd try involves using BTRFS recovery tools. The procedure requires the data volume to be unmounted so tech support mode is easiest. It's best done by us.

There are some attempts in progress already but there is a long wait to see what is actually recovered.

Message 349 of 707
fjrp123
Aspirant

Well, we are still waiting on some sort of resolution or be contacted via e-mail on how to access our files due to the issue. This happened on March 30, today is April 3rd and the response given so far is not very helpful.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 350 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements