Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Users creating a share and/or creating share link

BrandonK
Aspirant

Users creating a share and/or creating share link

Hi!

Im realtively new to Readycloud and tried searching for my answer but wasnt able to find it so i apologize if this is basic or has been answered before.

My question is: Is it possible to give users the rights to create shares and/or share links? IE I have a coworker who needs to share different files with different outside clients. I have admin rights and could do so but it would be easier and "more like dropbox" if they could do so directly themselves without having to get me involved to create a new share and then create a new link.

Can users be setup to have access to create shares and share links? Or is it just the admin that can do so??

Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

In OS6.9 (still in beta), you can add a user to the admin group.  That may have been in 6.8.1, too, I never looked.  That, of course, gives the user full admin rights.

What method are the outside clients using to access the NAS?  There are ways to use Windows permissions to restrict folders at the user level.  As long as there is no problem that clients can see the names of all the other folders (but not inside them), you could use this method and have one share that has the client folders in it.  But those restrictions don't work for all protocols.

Message 2 of 7
BrandonK
Aspirant

Well currently they arent accessing the NAS, we've been using dropbox but was hoping to discontinue it in favor of using our NAS. I think adding my coworker to admin might be the best solution for us. Any idea when 6.9 will release?

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, I remembered I have a NAS that I updated to 6.8.0 accidently, and the ability to add someone to the admin group is there.

Another option would be OwnCloud or NextCloud on the NAS.  But they are so similar to DropBox, but with the added hassle of setting it up and maintaining it yourself, that it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to switch unless available space is an issue.

Message 4 of 7
BrandonK
Aspirant

Okay now ive made my coworker an admin and under the users section they show up as an admin. However under cloud users they are still a normal user and i cant seem to find anywhere where i can make them a cloud admin. So they still are unable to create a share or share-link. Am i missing a step or is the ability to create a cloud admin not possible at this time?

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Hopefully, somebody else can answer if it is possible.  I am not a ReadyCloud user..

Is there a reason that these new shares need to be created via ReadyCloud and not the local user interface?

Message 6 of 7
BingkeX
NETGEAR Expert

Hello Brandonk,

For a NAS,  cloud admin user is unique.

On readycloud web page, only cloud admin have rights to create share or share-link.

For your request, you can make your coworker an admin, and he can login to local user admin interface to create share.

Best Regards.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements