× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re-flash your NetGear Stora

Davidovich
Aspirant

Re: Re-flash your NetGear Stora

Dogbert wrote:
The product key isn't unique to the specific chassis, but to the specific Stora name (after being registered). So once you get the RMA chassis you can use the same PK and Stora name on the replacement chassis.
Thanks for the answer!
Message 26 of 112
Mick0204
Novice

robyb wrote:
Hey guys,

This solution has already been passed around this forum, but Ill make it easy to find.

Before re-flashing your Stora:

-Run SelfCheck update.
-Hard Reset your Stora.

If these solutions do not resolve the problem and the problem is related to:

Failing updates
Missing Web UI
Error messages within the Web UI
Media Servers
Samba acces

Version after reflash: 2.5.1

Re-flash your Stora:

Procedure

• To put the device into recovery mode first power off the device.
• Push and release the power button, time 15 seconds(exactly), then press and hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Once this is completed you will be able to re-register your Stora with the same product key and Stora name. To recover your data, recreate the same user accounts.

If the issue persists, please contact support.

Cheers,
Roby!

Hi Roby,
What if this doesnt work.
I 've tried the first steps 100 times (with a stop watch!) my stora will NOT go into recovery.
I just get a blue flashing light and no lights on the ethernet port and power button is unresponsive.
I can hear the HDDs spin up so I think getting into recovery will fix these issues but it refuses to do it.
Surely there is an easier way?
How do i recover my data if i cannot get this working?
I am seriously considering junking it and getting something else.
Message 27 of 112
sillyname
Aspirant

I believe you need FW version 2.3 or greater to use the recovery procedure. If your FW is before the 2.3 version, try to update, if not RMA the device. You can recover your data off the drive several ways, just do a simple search of this forum.
Message 28 of 112
Mick0204
Novice

sillyname wrote:
I believe you need FW version 2.3 or greater to use the recovery procedure. If your FW is before the 2.3 version, try to update, if not RMA the device. You can recover your data off the drive several ways, just do a simple search of this forum.

Is there a way to upgrade if the Ethernet lights are off? Ie put the update on a USB stick and force it to upgrade from there?
Message 29 of 112
sillyname
Aspirant

Mick0204 wrote:
Is there a way to upgrade if the Ethernet lights are off? Ie put the update on a USB stick and force it to upgrade from there?

Even if you manually updated the firmware, which is possible, you'll need a working ethernet port. Your idea of a USB input to Stora, although innovative and simple is not possible. Well it might be attainable with much manipulation and a big knowledge of the command line. Either of which will void the warranty. If you can't update, why don't you just RMA the Stora?
Message 30 of 112
Mick0204
Novice

I've got my files off the hard disk. I think if it had 2.5 on and you could recovery mode it then it would come back to life. looks like I will have to RMA it
Message 31 of 112
mjhamilton
Aspirant

after months of no issues I accidentaly flicked the wrong breaker whilst doing some wiring in the garage and powered the Stora off without a controlled shutdown....

... on powering up the device I was greated by the flashing blue light and nothing else

Used this process and all back up and running in about 15 minutes onces I went through the setup process again..

Seems the Stora is a little sensitive to power failure - to me this is something that should be addressed considering it is a 'comsumer' device - I will assume something went pop in the firmware and the reflash repaired whatever broke

All up and running now so the process works - did note that it took me straight to 2.5.1 this time so no incremental upgrades required anymore
Message 32 of 112
robyb
Aspirant

mjhamilton wrote:
after months of no issues I accidentaly flicked the wrong breaker whilst doing some wiring in the garage and powered the Stora off without a controlled shutdown....

... on powering up the device I was greated by the flashing blue light and nothing else

Used this process and all back up and running in about 15 minutes onces I went through the setup process again..

Seems the Stora is a little sensitive to power failure - to me this is something that should be addressed considering it is a 'comsumer' device - I will assume something went pop in the firmware and the reflash repaired whatever broke

All up and running now so the process works - did note that it took me straight to 2.5.1 this time so no incremental upgrades required anymore

Unfortunately not something that can be fixed. Randomly losing power seems to affect the hardware (nand). When you lose nand blocks, you essentially lose part of your OS.

Yes we've made the reflash apply 2.5.1 directly (a few months ago).

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 33 of 112
Beepson
Novice

I'll try and post here too, to see if anyone can help me.

I've tried to update the firmware via holding reset button after 15 secs, about 100 times, and nothing happens except that blue LED keeps flashing.

I've tried with and without harddrive, with different routers (I bought a Netgear router, because I had a Stora, how ironic...), and absolutely nothing works. Just blue flashing LED.

Help, anyone? RMA?

/Larry
Message 34 of 112
robyb
Aspirant

Beepson wrote:

I've tried to update the firmware via holding reset button after 15 secs, about 100 times, and nothing happens except that blue LED keeps flashing.

I've tried with and without harddrive, with different routers (I bought a Netgear router, because I had a Stora, how ironic...), and absolutely nothing works. Just blue flashing LED.

Help, anyone? RMA?

/Larry

Had you updated to version 2.3.x or above while your Stora was working. If not, then re-flashing is not available for you. You will need to contact Netgear for RMA.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 35 of 112
Beepson
Novice

Yeah, I have updated to 2.3 or something above that. It was released about a year ago I guess and I´ve done some updates since that time.

Still, no go.

Roby, you seem like a swell guy. Can you give me any kind of explanation for this? My Stora worked this Saturday, then someone pulled the power cord for it, and after that... flashing blue LED...

/Larry
Message 36 of 112
mjhamilton
Aspirant

Beepson wrote:

Help, anyone? RMA?

/Larry

press the power on button
wait 15 seconds
press the reset button and release (don't hold any buttons down)

you need at least one HDD installed and it must be connected to the network with DHCP and internet access
Message 37 of 112
Beepson
Novice

Wow, thank you. That was actually something new to try: NOT holding any buttons down. But still, nothing new... /Larry
Message 38 of 112
pako_kr
Aspirant

Help me please! I have re-flashing my stora! When I try to repeat the registration procedure MyStore replied that an account already exists and change it. I have 1.1 tera bytes of data I do not want to lose them. how should I proceed?
Message 39 of 112
pako_kr
Aspirant

Problem solved! At registration I had to register a new account. After I had to log in with the new account and change the old account. After I had to log in with my old account and I had to delete the new account.
Message 40 of 112
woffle99
Aspirant

I thought I would post this just in case anyone doing this has the same issue, when it will hopefully save them some time (and hair!).

I had a failed update that left me with no Web interface (just a black screen) so eventually I went through this reflash procedure. It went just as described by Roby (except he says the HD lights alternately go off and on while it is reflashing when they actually change alternately from green to orange - yes I'm a pedant).

I went through the wizard, recreated my accounts and checked the web gui was working OK and all my files were there and it all seemed fine.

However, when I tried to browse through SMB to the stora, while I could access mylibrary and mycomputers I coudn't access the mylibrary share - it was listed but kept saying it was not accessible. It was the same for my other account. Tried turning things off and on, fiddling with sharing settings in desperation - no joy. Tried a hard reset this time, went through the wizard a second time and recreated the accounts - same result.

I had a backup of all of the files anyway, so I tried deleting one account, which said it failed, but the account was no longer listed so I tried to recreate it, at which point it refused saying it already existed. I then created a third totally new account and it COULD access the familylibrary. Aha, thought I so I changed the password on my old (non-deleted) account and finally it could access the familylibrary.

I then did a final hard reset, recreated the old accounts but this time with new passwords and everything finally appears to be fine (apart from the fact that it deleted all the files for the one account I deleted earlier and I'm currently having to copy them all back - all 300GB of them - ouch).

So, to cut it short, the moral of the story is:

Recreate your old accounts but use different passwords!:)

Hope this may help someone in future.
Message 41 of 112
mjhamilton
Aspirant

woffle99 wrote:

So, to cut it short, the moral of the story is:

Recreate your old accounts but use different passwords!:)

Hope this may help someone in future.

interesting that you had this issue.. on both occasions that I reflashed my Stora I recreated the accounts with the same password and had no issues....

Maybe a factory reset and then a reflash might have sorted your problems
Message 42 of 112
robman50
Aspirant

Mine only blinks a blue power LED and 2 green HDD LED's. What does that mean?
Also my router can not see my Stora. No IP address, no nothing.
Message 43 of 112
Hyperbit
Aspirant

after webinterface error i tryd this steps here.

Now my stora led shows the following state.

PowerLED : OFF
HDD LED1 LED2 : ON OFF in TURNS (one is green the other orange, it changes every second)

what does that mean?
Message 44 of 112
neileyboy
Aspirant

HI,

I re-flashed my Stora which worked great as i was having login problems in the past and I can now get to the setup/configuring Stora screeen i tried to re enter my exact Stora name and product Key but it says:

"The Stora name you requested is already in use by someone else. Please choose another."

so it's still not working :confused: 😞

Does anyone have any ideas or do i have to contact Netgear direct?

Thanks in advance
Message 45 of 112
robyb
Aspirant

neileyboy wrote:
HI,

I re-flashed my Stora which worked great as i was having login problems in the past and I can now get to the setup/configuring Stora screeen i tried to re enter my exact Stora name and product Key but it says:

"The Stora name you requested is already in use by someone else. Please choose another."

so it's still not working :confused: 😞

Does anyone have any ideas or do i have to contact Netgear direct?

Thanks in advance

Do you have different product keys on your CD sleeve and the back of your Stora?

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 46 of 112
neileyboy
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Do you have different product keys on your CD sleeve and the back of your Stora?

Cheers,
Roby!

Hi Roby

Well i have lost my original CD so I'm not too sure I just put the product key in that is on the bottom of the unit.

If the one i need is on the CD which I do not have do you know what i can do next to get me logged in and access my data?

why is nothing simple?:confused:

thanks for your time 🙂
Message 47 of 112
Southkil
Aspirant

neileyboy wrote:
Hi Roby

Well i have lost my original CD so I'm not too sure I just put the product key in that is on the bottom of the unit.

If the one i need is on the CD which I do not have do you know what i can do next to get me logged in and access my data?

thanks for your time 🙂

It would have been simple had you not lost your cd. :rolleyes:

just for info, on the back of my stora is the serial and mac numbers. I just had a look underneath the stora and the same product key that is on my cd sleeve is printed there ie. the NG**-****-****-**** number.

Have a look and see if yours is there too.

🙂
Message 48 of 112
ossienet
Aspirant

neileyboy wrote:
Hi Roby

thanks for your time 🙂

This might work:
http://support.axentra.hipserv.com/updates/sshkey/
Message 49 of 112
BeeKeeper
Aspirant

Like others I have had problems with my Stora. It was set up as a RAID 1 with two 2TB disks. I was unable to access it as it said my password was incorrect. After trying the suggestions given in this thread (hard resets etc) I reflashed following the procedure in the first post. However, during the configuration process it asked me if I wanted to set it up as RAID 0 or RAID 1. I was concerned data would be lost if I set it to RAID 1 so I switched everything off and removed one of the drives and went through the reflashing procedure again.

It is now working and I can see all the original data but of course I need to get it back to RAID 1 again.

The safest option is probably to copy all the data off the single disk in the Stora back onto the PC and then reflash again but this time with 2 disks in place and then set it up as RAID 1 during configuration. Copying all the data will be time consuming so can anyone confirm data will not be lost when it is configured for RAID 1?

On the other hand I think I will go for the safe option and then I will be able to tell you the answer!
Message 50 of 112
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7