× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk Spin-down issue?

CharlesR
Guide

Disk Spin-down issue?

I have been trying to resolve a DVBLink issue where occasionally the image will breakup. Using the same tuners (HDHomeRun) and client (Kodi) with WMC I don't see the issue at all. I'm running a Pro 2 with 6.3.4 and I tried downgrading to 6.2.4 and saw the same results.

For some reason I turned off Disk Spin-down and so far I haven't seen the issue with it turned off. I just tested with it off and on six times for roughly an hour in total. On each occasion I saw one or more breakups with it on and never saw one with it turned off. They don't happen in 5 minute increments (which is the spin-down setting I'm using).

Now with this limited testing I certainly can't conclude it's definitely a Disk spin-down issue and I'll do some more testing... however has anyone seen anything similar?
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disk Spin-down issue?

Well if DVBLink mainly uses RAM but occasionally needs to access the disks this might explain it as the disks might spin down before the disks next need to be used.
Message 2 of 6
CharlesR
Guide

mdgm wrote:
Well if DVBLink mainly uses RAM but occasionally needs to access the disks this might explain it as the disks might spin down before the disks next need to be used.

From looking at the file being recorded it appears to continually write to it... as the file size increases every few seconds. I know WMC tends to buffer a lot of data (or stores it elsewhere) and only updates the recording a couple times per half hour.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Could be you have to increase the spindown timer values - perhaps to 30 minutes.
Message 4 of 6
chopin70
Virtuoso

5 mn spindown will probably more kill the HDD than save it!
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

If you have ssh installed, you can monitor the spin-ups per day, and adjust the timer to keep that number reasonable.

The main thing is to prevent spindown while the dvblink application is running.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements