× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fan is pulsing in OS 6.7.1 on my Ultra 2

Pommes
Aspirant

Fan is pulsing in OS 6.7.1 on my Ultra 2

Hi there, 

lately I updated my ultra2 to the latest firmware (6.7.4 - comming from 6.5.0), since then the fan is pulsing every some seconds. The fan goes within 1 sec from ~700 rpm to 1000 rpm and slows down then. This is pretty annoying if you sit next to the NAS.

Might be the same problem as described here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS-6-5-2-still-causes-fan-issues-on-the-PRO-6-l...

I'm looking forward for a solution.

Best regards,

Patrick

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I believe we have located the issue.  There is a hardware chip that is tasked with controlling the fan speed, and we give it a target RPM.  I believe the tolerance range is set too tight for some fans, and when they can't get close enough to the target it results in the pulsing action you described.  Next firmware release will relax the tolerace which should resolve it.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

select a different setting for fans

or dont sit near the nas.

Message 2 of 17
Pommes
Aspirant

1. fan settings have no influence on the pulsing.

2. Not an acceptable solution.

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

If you enable ssh, you could also try this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS-6-5-2-still-causes-fan-issues-on-the-PRO-6-l...

That would set the minimum fan speed to 1000 rpm.

This behavior is odd though, I am wondering if other people running OS 6.7.x on their ultra 2s are seeing it.

Message 4 of 17
Pommes
Aspirant

No, it doesn't help either.

It is still pulsing, but the range is smaller now. It pulses from ~950 to ~1050.

It's still annoying, because this pulsing happens in less than a second.

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Pommes wrote:

It's still annoying, because this pulsing happens in less than a second.

I'm thinking the fan might be failing.

Message 6 of 17
Pommes
Aspirant

If an update brakes a fan, than halleluja.

Message 7 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Pommes wrote:

If an update brakes a fan, than halleluja.

I didn't say the update broke the fan, and it is possible there is a platform-specific bug in 6.7.x.  That's why I am interested in hearing from other ultra-2 users.

But the continuous pulsing is odd behavior, and coincidences do happen.

Message 8 of 17
Pommes
Aspirant

Well it seems there is way more broken in this release then I thought.

Actually there is no network link anymore and I can't wake the NAS by pressing the power button. Fan is still pulsing. Looks like the NAS is in some kind of sleep with no chance to wake it.

If I check the Volumes tab, it seems there are some "ghost" drives installed on my NAS. Well netgear, what did you just do? Looks like OS6 is in beta stadium for ultra 2 again.

ghost_drives.png

Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Pommes wrote:

If I check the Volumes tab, it seems there are some "ghost" drives installed on my NAS. 

Perhaps you didn't read the release notes:

https://kb.netgear.com/000038787/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-7-4 wrote:
  • Present missing volumes in the GUI, so the records can be deleted.  This can help restore app and home directory functionality if the removed volume previously held apps.

You should DESTROY them using the web ui (click on the settings wheel for each volume).

@Pommes wrote:

Actually there is no network link anymore

You are confusing me on this, since Netzwerk is shown in your screen shot.  Do you mean something else is missing?

Message 10 of 17
Pommes
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Pommes wrote:

If I check the Volumes tab, it seems there are some "ghost" drives installed on my NAS. 

Perhaps you didn't read the release notes:

https://kb.netgear.com/000038787/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-7-4 wrote:
  • Present missing volumes in the GUI, so the records can be deleted.  This can help restore app and home directory functionality if the removed volume previously held apps.

You should DESTROY them using the web ui (click on the settings wheel for each volume).

Agreed, didn't read the release notes properly. I will destroy them.

@StephenB wrote:

@Pommes wrote:

Actually there is no network link anymore

You are confusing me on this, since Netzwerk is shown in your screen shot.  Do you mean something else is missing?

I did a hard reboot before I took this screenshot. I meant indeed that on the back of the NAS there was no blinking/active LED on the LAN port, neither on the first nor on the second port. Webui wasn't reachable either.

Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Pommes wrote:

I did a hard reboot before I took this screenshot. I meant indeed that on the back of the NAS there was no blinking/active LED on the LAN port, neither on the first nor on the second port. Webui wasn't reachable either.

Interesting.  But the hard reboot resolved that problem, at least for now.

I'm guessing here, but I am thinking the ultra didn't find the boot flash.  I've seen that a couple of times on my RN52x systems (and it did happen on my 524x when I installed 6.7.4).

Message 12 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you able to send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 13 of 17
Pommes
Aspirant

@StephenB

The NAS was already running for some hours, before it lost (suddenly) the network link.

@mdgm-ntgr

Logs are sent. While this network link lost thing happend, the disks were probably spun down. So I'm not sure if this event was triggered in the logs.

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Pommes wrote:

The NAS was already running for some hours, before it lost (suddenly) the network link.

That busts my theory then.  Hopefully mdgm can figure it out from the logs.

Message 15 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I believe we have located the issue.  There is a hardware chip that is tasked with controlling the fan speed, and we give it a target RPM.  I believe the tolerance range is set too tight for some fans, and when they can't get close enough to the target it results in the pulsing action you described.  Next firmware release will relax the tolerace which should resolve it.

Message 16 of 17
Pommes
Aspirant

Great, I'm looking forward for this release.

Best regards,

Patrick

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements