× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No volume exists

No volume exists

Hi,

I have a Readynas RN10400 with firmware version 6.9.4

It has 4 x Seagate NAS ST3000VN000 disk drives orginally X-RAID but since issue the system shows RAID 5 and zero free space.

Following a lost admin password I did an OS reset using the boot menu method described at: https://kb.netgear.com/22891/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-104-204-214-or-314 and now unable to access my data.

When I login to the admin page using the default admin/password there is a message indicating that "No volumes exsist" and a recomendation to create one before continuing. There is also a notification informing me to remove inactive volums to use disk. Disk #1,2,3,4 (see screenshot at: https://i.imgur.com/68bHrlB.png) but at this stage I have not removed any disks in case I do additional damage. This was my primary (and only) backup device so I'm hoping someone can help retrieve my data.

Thanks
David
Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi davidburchett52,

You may download the logs and upload it to a file sharing site then PM me the download link. We may be able to check what would cause the volume to become inactive.

I also agree with @StephenB that it will be best to contact NETGEAR support so they can assist you in finding what caused the issue and with the data recovery as well.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 22

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I think your best option is to contact paid support via my.netgear.com.

FWIW, it sounds to me like your NAS is used for primary storage, not really as a backup device.

Message 2 of 22
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi davidburchett52,

You may download the logs and upload it to a file sharing site then PM me the download link. We may be able to check what would cause the volume to become inactive.

I also agree with @StephenB that it will be best to contact NETGEAR support so they can assist you in finding what caused the issue and with the data recovery as well.

Regards,

Message 3 of 22

Thanks for your replies guys...

I've got the NAS working again but have one remaining issue that I've seen in other posts, one of my disk's (the newest one) is triggering the following error message in the log:

Disk: Detected high uncorrectable error count: [3392] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1HJ166, W6A1GT98]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

I plan to make a copy of all my data then run tests on the disk 4 and also reset the NAS back to factory default before copying the data back on to the NAS.

If the errors on disk 4 continue I'll open a new ticket.

Thanks again for your responses.

David

Message 4 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@davidburchett52 wrote:

Disk: Detected high uncorrectable error count: [3392] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1HJ166, W6A1GT98]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

This error is being reported by the drive - the NAS is just forwarding the problem to you.  It's most likely an early failure in the drive itself.

So test the drive in a Windows PC with Seatools. You can connect it either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock.

If you just purchased the drive, you could also just exchange it with the seller for a new one.

Message 5 of 22

Thanks Stephen,

That's exactly what I intend to do and will report back with the results.

Data transfer is incredibly slow using widows explorer, three days so far and only 16% through a 2.15 TB folder/share...

All the best

David

Message 6 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@davidburchett52 wrote:

Data transfer is incredibly slow using widows explorer, three days so far and only 16% through a 2.15 TB folder/share...

That's likely related to the failing drive.  Is the system also syncing the array?

Message 7 of 22

Hi Stephen,

Yes it could be the drive I guess, will find out in due course. As far as the array goes, I've disabled any further backup jobs and turned off snapshots so I assume there's no acivity?

Cheers

David

Message 8 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@davidburchett52 wrote:

As far as the array goes, I've disabled any further backup jobs and turned off snapshots so I assume there's no acivity?

There are other things that could be going on.  For instance, the array could be syncing, or a maintenance function (including the new auto defrag option) could be running.  

You could also turn off Antivirus for now.

Message 9 of 22
vialta
Aspirant

Hi:

I have the same problem.

How do you resurrect your Disks?

Thank you in advance.

Model: RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 10 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@vialta wrote:

I have the same problem.

How do you resurrect your Disks?

If your system won't boot, then start by testing them.

If you have access to a Windows PC, then power down the NAS, and remove the disks (labeling by slot).  Then connect them to the PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock), and test them with vendor tools.  That would be lifeguard for western digital and seatools for seagate.  I don't recommend letting the diagnostics repair the disks - just test them.

If your system is booting, then download the logs.  You can PM @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V and ask them to analyze them for you.  Don't post a link to your logs publicly here.

Message 11 of 22
vialta
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll try and see if that works.

Message 12 of 22

OK so I've got all my data off and ready to do a factory reset, I'm running OS 6.9.5.

Before I hit the reset switch I'd just like to check a couple of things.

• The system is reporting a high uncorrectable error count [2352] on one disk - Should I try and fix, replace or run any tests on this disk before or after the reset?
  • Do you know of any gotcha's when it comes to performing a factory rest on this device/OS version?

Cheers

David

Message 13 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@davidburchett52 wrote:

• The system is reporting a high uncorrectable error count [2352] on one disk - Should I try and fix, replace or run any tests on this disk before or after the reset?

I wouldn't use a disk with this error count (and I wouldn't attempt to "fix" it either").

Personally I'd replace it with the NAS powered down, and do the reset using the boot menu.

@davidburchett52 wrote:
  • Do you know of any gotcha's when it comes to performing a factory rest on this device/OS version?

No.  The procedure is documented on pages 28-29 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 14 of 22

Might be a gotcha when doing a factory reset for this model/OS afterall...

Following the factory reset the front panel is showing the message "putname+14" and the power button is unresponsive!

Message 15 of 22
StephenB
Guru

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC, you can zero them with the "write zeros" test in WDC's lifeguard program.  There's a quick-zero option that will also work.

Then put the disks back in the NAS and power up.  The NAS will do a factory install when it detects the disks are unformatted.

Message 16 of 22

OK so WDC Lifeguard and Seatools were unable to write to the drive so I got the dive wiped in Windows Disk Management.

The disk is now back in the NAS and following an initial Data Degrade message on the front CP it is now recovering data.

I suspect it's rebuilding the array but I would rather it be restored to factory state as I no longer need the data and would like to start afresh with a clean system/drives.

What's the next step, Turn it off then perform another factory reset or wait untill it's finished recovering data and then do the factory reset?

Message 17 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@davidburchett52 wrote:

OK so WDC Lifeguard and Seatools were unable to write to the drive so I got the dive wiped in Windows Disk Management.

That's weird, and suggests that something might be wrong with the drive.  What's the model number (and manufacturer)?

@davidburchett52 wrote:

What's the next step, Turn it off then perform another factory reset or wait untill it's finished recovering data and then do the factory reset?

I'd let the resync finish and look at the SMART stats - confirming that the drive is actually ok.

You can then do a factory reset from the boot menu (or alternatively from system->settings in the web ui). 

Message 18 of 22

Drives are all the same, Seagate NAS ST3000VN000 and the one from drive bay 4 that the NAS was reprting errors on was removed and tested using Seatools and WDC Lifeguard. The drive passed all tests incluing the long ones but niether of these tools were able to write to the drive, I suspect because it was locked by the NAS OS RAID application. So, I used Windows 10 disk to wipe it and that worked fine. Popped it back in the NAS and as mentioned it started to rebuild, currently at 8% after 12 hrs, going to be a long wait before I can do another factory reset?

Message 19 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@davidburchett52 wrote:

I suspect because it was locked by the NAS OS RAID application. 

The NAS application shouldn't lock the drive.  And if it had locked it, Windows wouldn't have been able to format it either.

So something else went (or is) wrong. 

FWIW I have had drives that passed the non-destructive tests, but which failed the write-zeros test.  If you did a quick format in Windows it doesn't write to much of the drive - just enough to create the file system.

Message 20 of 22

Just to let you know that the unit has been factory reset and running like new again, Seagate replaced my faulty 3TB with a new 4TB drive and although I don't see any more storage it seems to be getting on with the other three 3TB drives without any issues. Thanks for your help and assistance as we've worked through this issue.

Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad it's resolved Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation