× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OMG! please help - accidentally deleted my share !

xlr8r
Guide

OMG! please help - accidentally deleted my share !

folks i really need your help

i bought myself a second nas and had it all set up ready to integrate with my existing nas.

....then in a moment of stupidity, accidentally deleted the share from my original nas. :roll:

its in raid 0 , 2 x 2tb drives storing all my movies, family movies and photos, etc years worth. all gone in a click of a button.

is there any simple way of restoring the deleted share ?

i haven't touched the drives, i just shut the nas down until i get some info on restoring it

thanks in advance
Message 1 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

I would contact Netgear support, if they can help you you will probably have to pay.
There are a few threads on the forum that may have some other suggestions, however I would suggest you need a professional data recovery service. Search for "recover deleted share"
Do I understand that you were running a 2 disk Raid 0 single volume with no backup? Even excluding human error, there are several other risks to your data in running your readynas like this.
Message 2 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

I have been reading up on tools such as "TestDisk" & "PhotoRec" and R-Studio.

since i haven't a clue about linux based systems, R-Studio might be my starting point.
It can create a virtual mount of the 2 x 2TB raid drives (raid 0), then from there begin to scan them for deleted data.
Bit slow though, it shows it will be running a scan for another 12 hours...? :?

but , if it works i will be happy enough to recover my 2 years worth of downloaded movies , family pics and vids etc.

...fingers crossed.

if r-studio doesnt do the job, i will have to do a bit more reading on the other "TestDisk" & "PhotoRec" options...
Message 3 of 7
Slasky
Aspirant

Deep-scanning of 2x2TB will take time. It probably searches the disks or volums sector by sector.

Last post you did was last thursday, any luck finding the deleted files?
Message 4 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

i gave up in the :roll: end...

i tried testdisk by booting up a computer with both disks attached, ran linux and the drives were visible as a raid 0

but testdisk could only see the folders (marked in red) that had been deleted, but nothing was inside the folders :shock:

also tried photorec, it was kinda showing files, but they would have all been named with garbage names, if i had recovered them (just had too much stuff)

tried r-studio in windows (twice). each time after 14 hours of scanning the disk, the stupid crap software crashed each time!!!

so, threw the towel in and am now in process of downloading 4TB of stuff from the tinternet again....

man, there really should be a triple warning when you click "remove share" button ....lol
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

xlr8r wrote:
...man, there really should be a triple warning when you click "remove share" button ....lol
I'd probably just triple-click then (during those brain-dead moments)! :slap:

That's one reason I have backups...
Message 6 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

i always keep backups of all the family pics/vids etc, and treat the downloaded stuff as "expendable" 😎

just a matter of being careful like you said. and busy the next week re-downing....
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements