× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy

chirpa
Luminary

Last I heard, Genie was EOL and to be killed off/removed from the GUI. You can use the 'Available Apps' now to get all the community apps as listed on http://apps.readynas.com.
Message 1076 of 1,275
shibby
Aspirant

i have OS6 on my Pro4 and i love it.
Message 1077 of 1,275
Royan
Aspirant

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

iamthemitch wrote:
Hi,

Well, I can believe that I'm the only one with this issue, but I didn't find a solution (neither in the forum, nor Google...)

I have a Ultra 2 running OS6 6.1.4 successfully.

But I can't activate alarms, because of the below alarm being triggered every 5 minutes
V5_0 voltage in enclosure 'internal' is out of spec. (4,74V).

According to boot_info.log, the min value is 4,65 (90%)

labelvol1: V5_0
minvol1: 4.65
maxvol1: 5.35

So the current value is in the expected range.

Well, is their any solution to ignore this alarm ? Disable it ? Adjust the threshold ?

Any solution is welcome.
Thanks

Hi.

I just upgraded my Pro2 from 6.0.6 to 6.1.7, and I got the same problem you had.
Only I get the same alert you got, every single minute :roll:
The box is empty, just rebuilding volume after a factory reset.
Did you find any solution?

brgds
Royan
Message 1078 of 1,275
Royan
Aspirant

And then I found this gem from Skywalker:
Skywalker wrote:
This is due to some subtle differences between Pro 2 and RN312 hardware monitoring. We'll try to fix that up in a future release, but you should be able to fix it locally with this command:
echo -e 'chip "it8721-isa-0a10"\n    compute in1 @*1.787/1.732, @*1.732/1.787' > /etc/sensors.d/overrides.conf

That seems to have fixed it...

Note to self: search better next time 🙂
Royan
Message 1079 of 1,275
Bigbearf
Aspirant

Just got a 516 with 2 WD 4 TB SE drives to start with. I have the legacy pro pioneer running 4.2.26. I have scanned the thread and it appears that 6.1.7 is available. I would like to upgrade RNPP and would like both the update to 6.1.7 and restore image back to 4.2.26 so I can try it on a test drive.
Any significant issues remaining? If I upgrade and get my volume contents on the new 516 can I factory reset the RNPP with the six 2 TB drives and then use replicate to sync up the boxes and then leave one at home and one at work?
Let me know if this Plan is sensible.
Bigbearf
Message 1080 of 1,275
Bigbearf
Aspirant

@mdgm
Can you provide images or links to them?
Thanks
Bigbearf
Message 1081 of 1,275
Bigbearf
Aspirant

@mdgm
Never mind. Got them.
Bigbearf
Message 1082 of 1,275
Royan
Aspirant

Royan wrote:
And then I found this gem from Skywalker:
Skywalker wrote:
This is due to some subtle differences between Pro 2 and RN312 hardware monitoring. We'll try to fix that up in a future release, but you should be able to fix it locally with this command:
echo -e 'chip "it8721-isa-0a10"\n    compute in1 @*1.787/1.732, @*1.732/1.787' > /etc/sensors.d/overrides.conf

That seems to have fixed it...

Note to self: search better next time 🙂
Royan

And as soon as I started copying my data back from my USB disk:

Every minute until copying is finished... :?
(or maybe it is only when it's copying larger files, movies etc...)

Royan
Message 1083 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

Royan wrote:
And as soon as I started copying my data back from my USB disk:

Every minute until copying is finished...
Is the enclosure separately powered from the NAS? If so, it is possible that the power adapter for the enclosure is failing or not solidly connected?
Message 1084 of 1,275
workbench82
Aspirant

Little bit off topic but still: Does anyone know what happens to my DVBLink TVSource license if I upgrade to OS6? Does it still work as before?
Message 1085 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

workbench82 wrote:
Little bit off topic but still: Does anyone know what happens to my DVBLink TVSource license if I upgrade to OS6? Does it still work as before?
That is a third-party add-on. The starting question is whether they have an OS6 version. Probably it is best to ask them if they do, and if the same license can be used.
Message 1086 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

workbench82 wrote:

It is indeed off topic as it's not related to "legacy product upgraded to OS6". With a 30sec google search, I found that there are add-ons for all versions (see the 2 lower link-boxes)
http://dvblogic.com/en/software/netgear ... netgear-r6
As you can see both the old x86 hardware (raidiator4) and the new x86 with OS6 are supported meaning both the hardware and software will work. You're safe to try OS6 on a spare disk 🙂
Message 1087 of 1,275
pong1
Aspirant

so now i also did the jump to 6.1.7.
regarding the fan-thing it works without problems and without modifications on my readynas pro 6. i think the idle fan speed is also a bit slower then with 4.2.26, temp seems to be the same.
perhaps the different success levels with fan control are depending of the bios version? i remember i did a bios update months ago.

only strange thing at the moment: after booting the nas is rather slow opening folders with a lot of subfolders no matter if i use afp or smb (i'm on a mac with 10.9.2)

not related but i couldn't find a hint: is there something like
https://ip_address_of_your_nas/get_handler?PAGE=System&OUTER_TAB=tab_shutdown&INNER_TAB=NONE&shutdown_option1=1&command=poweroff&OPERATION=set
for os6 for a remote shutdown of the nas?
Message 1088 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

pong wrote:
not related but i couldn't find a hint: is there something like
https://ip_address_of_your_nas/get_handler?PAGE=System&OUTER_TAB=tab_shutdown&INNER_TAB=NONE&shutdown_option1=1&command=poweroff&OPERATION=set
for os6 for a remote shutdown of the nas?
Yup, here you go: viewtopic.php?p=394395#p394395
Message 1089 of 1,275
pong1
Aspirant

thanks for the hint. with some chrome-sniffing it works now 😉
Message 1090 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

i noticed my fan is super quiet now after 6.1.7. Also the LED presents slightly differently now, with %full and something else the other day (dont recall now what it said)
Message 1091 of 1,275
grimloch
Aspirant

BigBearf wrote:
Just got a 516 with 2 WD 4 TB SE drives to start with. I have the legacy pro pioneer running 4.2.26. I have scanned the thread and it appears that 6.1.7 is available. I would like to upgrade RNPP and would like both the update to 6.1.7 and restore image back to 4.2.26 so I can try it on a test drive.
Any significant issues remaining? If I upgrade and get my volume contents on the new 516 can I factory reset the RNPP with the six 2 TB drives and then use replicate to sync up the boxes and then leave one at home and one at work?
Let me know if this Plan is sensible.
Bigbearf

Hi Bigbearf, what did you end up doing? Does replicate work between OS4 and OS6?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Message 1092 of 1,275
Bigbearf
Aspirant

@grimloch
So far I have put a test drive 4.2.26 RNP box and installed replicate. I had the 516 replicate installed. I have successfully used the replicate to transfer a test data run from the RNP to the 516. I also upgraded the RNP to OS 6.1.7 and successfully used replicate between the two units. I must say that the RNP runs much quieter on OS 6 than 4.2.26.
Next I plan on putting the 6 drives back in the RNP and then use the back up system function to if I can back up my whole RNP to my 516. Replicate works like a fancy shell program for the backup utility already a part of 4.2.26. But so far I am impressed. BTW, if you need a license for 4.2.26 contact Cap1 via email and I believe he will give you a complementary code. The 516 includes replicate free of charge. I will post update within the next week or so.
Hope this helps.
Bigbearf
Message 1093 of 1,275
TeknoJnky
Hero

So do any of the newer revisions of os6 allow for expansion conversion from single to dual redundancy? (like how os 4 does)

or a better way to start with dual redundancy other than deleting the volume > create raid 6 > re-enable x-raid?
Message 1094 of 1,275
Dave_Ams
Tutor

Last night I tried to upgrade my Pro from 4.2.26 to 6.1.7 using the three step procedure.

The only difference was that I first did a factory default on 4.2.26, that worked then I used the modified package for the update. In Raidar I could see it was updating after that was completed, it now indicates 6.1.7 there.

However on the frontpanel on the Pro it still says "Booting... Disk added" and the WebGui doesn't work. I guess it's stuck in a boot procedure.

Any idea's 😞
Message 1095 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are two options described in this thread:

1. Install Prep add-on
2. Install R4toR6 .bin file
3. ReadyNAS OS 6 will be extracted onto the internal flash then the NAS will attempt to install it onto the disks. At an appropriate point it will attempt to boot off the disks and will run a file left by the Prep add-on which will trigger a factory default

or
1. Install R4 to R6 .bin file
2. ReadyNAS OS 6 will be extracted onto the internal flash then the NAS will attempt to install it onto the disks and boot from it. The NAS will fail to completely boot off it as OS6 is not written to be able to update from OS4 without a factory default. It will get stuck where you noticed. You will need to power down and do a factory default via the boot menu.

Either way a factory default takes place after ReadyNAS OS 6 is put on the internal flash. This is a necessary part of the upgrade. The factory default you did on 4.2.26 was unnecessary unless you couldn't install the R4toR6 .bin file before doing that.
Message 1096 of 1,275
Dave_Ams
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation, I did the second option but didn't notice that the factory default has to be through the bootmenu, perhaps add a note to post #3 specifying that.

I did the first factory default just because I had been playing around, no real reason.

Thanks though!

Dave

[Update; works fine now, thanks again]
Message 1097 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

TeknoJnky wrote:
So do any of the newer revisions of os6 allow for expansion conversion from single to dual redundancy? (like how os 4 does)

Yes, just un-tick X-RAID; add your new disk; then click on the new disk and you should see a "Add Parity" button. After that you can re-tick the X-RAID button.
Message 1098 of 1,275
TeknoJnky
Hero

Good info, thanks Skywalker!

Do you know if there are any plans to enable dual redundancy from factory default/raidar?
Message 1099 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

No, I don't believe so, since you can delete and create volumes from the web UI without rebooting now, and switch between X-RAID and Flex-RAID mode.
Message 1100 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements