× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN 102 update firmware from 6.9.5 to 6.10.0 and now won't boot UGH!!

pfrehner
Guide

RN 102 update firmware from 6.9.5 to 6.10.0 and now won't boot UGH!!

updated firmware to 6.10.0 on RN102 and now won't boot

did a firmware update from 6.9.5 to 6.10.0 this morning and after completed, the blue power light just flashes once a second.

let it sit for a while (10+ minutes) and no change.

pulled power and rebooted and its the same.

installed RAIDar windows app and can see the device (by IP) but it says its "booting"

thoughts?

I need to get the files off this device....

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Did you have ssh enabled?

Did you have mysql installed?

Message 2 of 13
pfrehner
Guide

no ssh and no mysql

left it stock and didn't want to fiddle with it.... 

Message 3 of 13
pfrehner
Guide

also sorry for the double post.  first time posting and didn't know where to post it.  posted it to the wrong forum originally

Message 4 of 13
pfrehner
Guide

have been researching the issue and am thinking one of two possible next steps:

- reboot the device in "read only" mode or recovery mode?

- revert the firmware back to 6.9.5 with a bootable USB

thoughts?  I need to get these files back....

Message 5 of 13
quickly_now
Apprentice

I have the same issue, which is now consuming my weekend that I wanted for other things.  It's also pretty important that I do not lose the information on this NAS.  I've upgrade many times before and never had issues like this.

Most of the posts I find here are not very helpful.  Need a solution please.

For those who answer: I have a long experience in the older flavours of linux, but I can't read minds. Some of the suggestions I have seen so far use terminology different to the Netgear manuals and guides, or simple comments like "I just did blah via SSH", which does not help as I don't know how to do the BLAH step, or even where to look for that information.  A solution spelled out for idiots would be most helpful, please.

Model: RN31441E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 6 of 13
quickly_now
Apprentice

OK I know its a weekend and so there is not likely to be a lot of support available.

So, to avoid some of the inevitable Q&A:

1. The machine boots to about 99% (as per screen on the front), and then stops.

2. I have rebooted it several times (at least 4 times).

3. I have waited > 4 hours, it has not progressed.

4. There is access via SSH.

5. It is not possible to get a log from Raidar, as there are no buttons or what-not to allow that.

6. There is no access via SMB or web (apache).

7. Poking around using SSH and systemctl shows that apache2 is not running (dead). Whatever that means. Maybe it was not started.  There are also what seem to be remants of update processes running, but not doing anything.

8. I tried the magic creation of a file called /.os_update, and rebooting. This has made no difference.

9. This machine *does* have the subversion app from Netgear installed on it.

Right now I'm at my wits end.  Come Monday this machine needs to be available for subversion and web access use.  

Can anyone help?

Message 7 of 13
937carrera
Aspirant

This is more of a sympathy message than help.

I remotely upgraded one from 6.9.5 to 6.10 this week and lost remote access.

When I had physical access I did the three button presses for a shutdown, when it rebooted it came back up.

I tested remote access and thought it was working....  but it isn't now

At some point there has been a feature enabled to allow automatic hotfix updates, enabled by default. I switched mine off as I want to know if a software update has screwed things up.

The reason I noticed was because it already said "Version 6.10 Hotfix x"

Looks like a poor version release, Netgear seem to be having problems in this regard lately

Message 8 of 13
quickly_now
Apprentice

More information, more poking around.

on startup there were a series of processes running, and these seem to have stuck in trying to update (automatically?  online??) the subversion library used by apache2.

So this is probably related to the underlying update of apache2 that I've read about in other posts.

Here's what ps -eaf in SSH was showing:

root      3745  3744  0 11:50 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh -c dpkg --configure -a
root      3746  3745  0 11:50 ?        00:00:00 dpkg --configure -a
root      3747  3746  0 11:50 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapache2-mod-svn.postinst configure
root      3761  3747  0 11:50 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d apache2 restart
root      3792  3761  0 11:50 ?        00:00:00 systemctl restart apache2.service

By simply killing all those processes, I could then see that apache started after, and furthermore my attempts at

apg-get update 

and similar would not stop with a lock error. 

I've not yet been brave enought to reboot (expecting the fault to come back), thats coming up.

So far everything seems to be working EXCEPT subversion.

A long long time ago, I installed subversion using the direction here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Current/subversion-configuration/m-p/860158#M...

Since that time subsequent updates of the OS have clearly updated SVN as I see that in /usr/lib/apache2/modules, the file mod_dav_svn.so is dated May 21, 2018.

What seems to have gone wrong this time is that mod_dav_svn.so, and its cousin mod_authz_svn.so seem to have failed in the update from apache 2.2 to apache2.4, OR in the auto-update-on-bootup process.

As to waht to do about it... this is still to be worked out.

It means that for now, I have the NAS back running for backup purposes, but my primary need was SVN... and that does not work.

Message 9 of 13
quickly_now
Apprentice

More information:

The changes to 6.10.0 (and hotfixes) need these alterations to make subversion work.

Step 1.

Locate the SUBVERSION.conf file that was set up (in the previous instruction, many years ago), it should be in /etc/apache2/conf.d

Move that to /etc/apache2/conf-available

Step 2.

Make a softlink from /etc/apache2/conf-enabled, called SUBVERSION.conf, and linked to the file in /etc/apache2/conf-available:

cd /etc/apache2/conf-enabeld

ln -s ../conf-available/SUBERSION.conf SUBVERSION.conf

Step 3.

edit the SUBVERSION.conf file in /etc/apache2/conf-available, to REMOVE all references  to loading libraries (for whatever reason it does not seem to be needed).

Step 4.

Restart apache:

systemctl restart apache2

This got my subversion via HTTP working again (bear in mind my configuration in that file gives me a subversion URL of HTTP://nas/svn/ )

So far... success. The next worry is what will happen on reboot.

Message 10 of 13
pfrehner
Guide

I found a solution to my issue - after a bunch of reading and finger crossing

I accessed the boot menu and did the "OS Reinstall"

https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312

it booted right back up.

something went south during the firmware update.  not trusting the readynas much anymore - will be moving my files off to cloud drive (onedrive) 

this is the last straw with netgear

Message 11 of 13
ralf_shumway
Aspirant

Hello,

Same issue here, device was unable to boot because of an update process which has not completed

I had to kill :

root 3069 3068 0 09:24 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapache2-mod-php5.postinst configure 5.6.24+dfsg-0+deb8u1.netgear1

Not sure if it will work after reboot

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ralf_shumway wrote:

Hello,

Same issue here, device was unable to boot because of an update process which has not completed

I had to kill :

root 3069 3068 0 09:24 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapache2-mod-php5.postinst configure 5.6.24+dfsg-0+deb8u1.netgear1

Not sure if it will work after reboot

Please let us know if it does.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements