× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 312 V+12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (10.72 V).

jjaidank
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 312 V+12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (10.72 V).

ReadyNAS 312 - 6.10.8 - 2 * WD Red 2TB

Bought the 312 without a PSU and it worked fine with my old ReadyNAS Duo power supply (12v 5a) and the first WD Red (this was to replace an ageing NV+ v2 also with power supply problems).

Once I added the second WD Red the 312 became unreliable reporting 'V+12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (10.72 V).' before intermittently shutting down one or both disks.

Bought a new ReadyNAS 12v 5a power supply. No improvement.

Eventually disassembled the 312 and started investigating with my multimeter.

Noted a 1.4 Ohm resistance between the center pin of the power socket and the connection to the motherboard.

Noted the same resistance across the connection between the center pin and leg going to the motherboard.

Reassembled, leaving the motherboard side cover off. Added both disks and powered up.
Noted a voltage of between 11.5 and 10.7 on the motherboard connection.

Diagnosis: **bleep** Foxcomm PCB power socket.

Solution: Disassembled again and applied some solder to the connection between the center pin and the leg going to the motherboard.

Working voltage on the motherboard now 12.2v

Better solution: desolder the faulty PCB power socket and replace with new (fairly standard component). But, with my soldering limitations, I might destroy the mothernoard.

Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

When I have made that fix, I've installed a "pigtail" instead of a connector hard-soldered to the motherboard.  Netgear used to ship supplies with a 90° connector, and the original Duo even had a recessed connector to help keep damage to a minimum.  But, they stopped both of those some time ago.  By using a pigtail, you add strain relief.  Just make sure you use a grommet or other method of keeping the metal housing from cutting into the pigtail wires.

Message 2 of 7
jjaidank
Aspirant

Good point. You could remove the body of the connector, leaving the +12v and ground legs in place and solder the pigtail to the legs. This would reduce the risk of damaging the motherboard.

Message 3 of 7
jjaidank
Aspirant

I woke up this morning and my RN312 was back in 'degraded' status with a log full of 'too many ATA errors ... 40 in the last 30 days.

As 'disk 2' was now in 'failed' status I started a return with Amazon (disk was only 5 months old). I then explored the logs some more and found that the old 'low voltage' problem had recurred.

So, I guess that is what was causing the disk errors. (disk 1 has 0 ATA errors).
Is there any way I can 'reset' the ATA errors, reuse the 'failed' drive and cancel the. Amazon return.

Cheers, Aidan

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The ATA error count is stored in the drive and I do not believe any of the drive manufacturers have provided a means of clearing them, even though they can be caused externally.  If your drives are of the same model, then I do find it hard to believe that a voltage problem would cause them on one drive and not the other.

When you say the drive "failed", do you mean in the vendor's diagnostics or that the NAS has marked it as failed?  AFAIK, the ReadyNAS will not fail a drive for ATA errors, so if it is the NAS, then I think something other than the voltage is failing.

Message 5 of 7
jjaidank
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark 

Thanks for the information on ATA errors and their location.

The NAS had marked the drive as failed and marked the volume as 'degraded' (i.e., not mirrored).

I measured the input voltage on the mainboard connector as 10.7v while the centre pin of the connector was 12.?v. I re-soldered the center pin to connector leg connection and seem to have solved the problem. 

I re-inserted disk 2 and the NAS rebuilt it overnight. System seems to be fine now. No more system voltage warnings today, so I cancelled the Amazon return.

Cheers, Aidan

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I suggest running the vendor diags (Seatools or WD's Dashboard).  If you can't do that, then run the disk from the volume settings wheel.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements