× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Stuck at READYNAS prompt

GhostWheel2000
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Stuck at READYNAS prompt

After many years of great service I have been having problems logging into my Ultra 6.

Taking the plunge I upgraded to OS6 Which went well. After a couple of days I upgraded the RAM and now it wont boot Even with original Memory  Installed. It never gets past the initial READYNAS message on the LCD.

Having read around the subject it seems it is probably a corrupt VPD File.

If a moderator or anyone else could kindly help I would be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
GhostWheel2000
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Stuck at READYNAS prompt

Additionally I managed to get it to go into rescue mode and I successfully Telneted in.

Message 2 of 7
GhostWheel2000
Aspirant

After alot of messing about managed to copy vpd file to windows pc and open it in a hex editor 512bytes of zeros.

could anyone help me generate a new one?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@GhostWheel2000 wrote:

could anyone help me generate a new one?

Only Netgear can.  I'm tagging the mods ( @Marc_V and @JeraldM ), as they have often helped with this.

Message 4 of 7
GhostWheel2000
Aspirant

Much appreciated. Hope they can as I have just ordered a bunch of 4 TB Drives.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

While it's too late for you, I'd like to point others reading this to my post regarding backing up of the VPD file.  Your experience on this is becoming more common, and this is a solution that doesn't require Netgear's assistance, but also can't wait until after the file is corrupted:  Backup-and-restore-of-VPD-file-for-legacy-ReadyNAS-running-OS6 .

Message 6 of 7
GhostWheel2000
Aspirant

Its a good article BY SANDSHARK that at least let me check what the issue was. Guys even if you don't have issues now BACK IT UP.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements