× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 6.2 (NAS locks up entirely)

DrDSP
Aspirant

So I might be the first one with good news to report here.

After upgrading to the 6.2.3-T1652 beta last weekend, my RN104 has been stable. No lockups. It's been up for 8 days straight now, when previously it wouldn't make it more than 4 hours or so.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the factory reset that I did prior to the beta upgrade might have helped. Also, I'm not sure if others are having the same issue that I had, but my unit would only lockup or freeze when it was idle. It never locked-up while I was actively using it.

Anyway, hope this information helps somehow. I also I hope that I don't jinx myself by writing this success post.
Message 126 of 328
guenterp62
Aspirant

PNAS 104, upgraded to Beta 3, on Jan, 23rd, system ran until Jan,24th approx 6:30 PM
Logs sent
Message 127 of 328
yajdam
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 6.2.3-T1672 alot worse than T1652!

In less than 24 hours, the RN10400 locked up 7 times, until the last one when not even 'kernel panic=1' was able to reboot the system.
Most of the lockups happened while it was idle.

'journalctl -af' showed no relevant information.

Going back to T1652 until next beta comes out.

Logs send
Message 128 of 328
jzeevi
Aspirant

I ran 1672 (Beta3) with the requested logging and it failed fairly quickly after going idle (I was doing some data copy first). Logs have been sent in.

I also ran journalctl -af in an SSH session and captured the output, although to my eye it looked unremarkable.

Simultaneously, I ran a bash script in another SSH session to capture the dmesg output every 30 seconds in case something spit up there, however, nothing out of the ordinary occurred. I *do* get the advantage of being able to tell within a 30 second window of when the machine crashed which may be helpful for the log analyzers. 🙂

I then downgraded to 6.2.0 and my NAS104 has been up for 12+ hours while idle. For me, that's a new record. More data as it becomes available.
Message 129 of 328
guenterp62
Aspirant

Where can i download os 6.2.0 for a downgrade?
Message 130 of 328
StephenB
Guru

Message 131 of 328
jzeevi
Aspirant

6.2.0 continues to run into day 2.
Message 132 of 328
dogbox
Aspirant

Downgraded from 6.2.2 to 6.2.0 and NAS has not locked up for a week now.....
Message 133 of 328
jzeevi
Aspirant

Does anyone remember if 6.2.1 was locking up? Or did the problems start with 6.2.2? I *can* upload 6.2.1 to find out, but my wife would hate to be without her data..... 🙂
Message 134 of 328
tommylommytommy
Aspirant

Mine locked up with 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2 after 20 to 180 minutes or so and after installing the beta2 of 6.2.3 it locks up after 3 days or so.

I can however make it freeze/lock up on purpose if i read or write multiple times at once. Then it locks up straight away.
An example would be if i unpacked 2 archive files on the nas drive at the same time.
Or i upload via ftp and try copying out some large files via smb at the same time.
Then bam, total freeze within seconds.
Message 135 of 328
yajdam
Aspirant

I know that this may sound weird (it sounds weird to me), but all the people here that are reporting having their system running more than 24 hours without lockups,
like me, they have done some sort of downgrade.

I downgraded from 6.2.3 -T1762 to T1752 and it's been 48 hours without any lockup. Others downgraded to 6.2.0 and so on, and so on... just read back in the forum.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but a pattern is starting to show here.
Message 136 of 328
StephenB
Guru

It is apparent that there are several issues that showed up with 6.2.x; causing a lot of work for both netgear developers and tech support.

I believe that some people have found that going forward to the newest 6.2.x or even 6.3.x also helped.

Perhaps the lesson is to be cautious about installing updates released right before the holidays?
Message 137 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have a lot of users running the 6.2.x firmware without problems and generally we've found feedback indicates it is an improvement over previous releases.

However these lockups appear to be difficult to reproduce issues and when these lockups occur log entries indicating what things are causing them are not being written to disk.
Message 138 of 328
StephenB
Guru

I had no issues with 6.2.x myself - I wasn't meaning to imply that all users were having trouble. Though there clearly are a lot of users who've run into the loss of access to the Web UI, and a few who've seen the lockups.

I'm using 6.3.3 on my RN102 at present, and so far it is working ok.
Message 139 of 328
Silverstreak
Aspirant

I tried a downgrade to 6.2.1 and the NAS started flooding the network with activity resulting in my DSL router freezing up. I am not sure what it was trying to do. But disconnecting the patch cord resulted in the router and switch behaving normally. The NAS was flashed with 6.2.2 and is now running fine.

The NAS is normally shut down at the end of the day. But this time it was left powered on and has been running for over 24 hours continuously. No issues or lockups. All seems normal.

The box is nearly always idle. No automated backups tasks are being performed. Activity is restricted to manually initiated directory/folder syncs from my PC to shared folders on the NAS. These synchs are performed once or twice a day. So far so good. <fingers crossed>
Message 140 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

Running on 6.2.0 firmware the NAS got to the 4th day running straight without lockups then when I came into work on the 5th day it was locked up again. Does sound like people are getting more days before lockup after downgrading their firmware. Any chance we can downgrade to 6.1.x firmware for testing? I would be happy to go back to this magical firmware that just worked...
Message 141 of 328
Silverstreak
Aspirant

48 hours and all ok so far. User triggered activity included a few folder syncs using GoodSync. I'll stick to 6.2.2 till the next production release.
Message 142 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

The next release better be firmware in the 6.1.x range as it was the bomb...... 6.2.x is doomed and needs to burn!
Message 143 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have no plans for any further 6.1.x firmware. There are several reasons for this.

We made changes in 6.2.x which are one way, for example a major upgrade to snapshots. Once you have updated to 6.2.x you cannot downgrade back to 6.1.x.

We have added a number of new features, enhancements and bug fixes in 6.2.

Furthermore there are security fixes in 6.2.x that are not available in 6.1.x, for example: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79749

We would like to get to the bottom of why your systems are locking up and if a firmware update is necessary to fix it to get it addressed in a firmware update.
Message 144 of 328
StephenB
Guru

dickerj wrote:
The next release better be firmware in the 6.1.x range ...
Going forward is much better than going back. 6.2.x folks can't downgrade to 6.1.x, and there's no sense in forking OS6 into two branches.

6.2.x had some early issues, but most are resolved and the couple remaining are being actively investigated by Netgear.
Message 145 of 328
kplatte
Aspirant

We are still having the lockup every night. Loaded 6.3.3 today will see if that stops the lockups.
Message 146 of 328
shoeminator
Aspirant

Same issues ....

Hoping this may help .... I decided to do a RAID volume scrub to rule out any issues there.

the scrub didn't show anything of note BUT it ran to completion (couple of days) without a crash.

..... when it finished, it stayed up a few hours and then .... hung again .....

what housekeeping tasks does the kernel/OS do when the system is idle ?

Hope this helps

Mark
Message 147 of 328
guenterp62
Aspirant

Yesterday I stepped back to Firmware 6.2.0 but my RNAS 104 froze again within a few hours. It looks like for me this downgrade didn't improve my situation.

By the way, should we still provide logs when freezes happen? (I would have no problem to upgrade to Beta3 again).
Message 148 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Would be good if you could upgrade to Beta 3 and provide a fresh set of logs from that if it crashes.

If you are comfortable with SSH it would be good if you could monitor it in separate windows with

# journalctl -af

and

We are hoping to get clues as to why it crashed.
Message 149 of 328
kplatte
Aspirant

First night on 6.3.3 and NAS did not lock up during backups. Will see how it does over the weekend.
Message 150 of 328
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements