× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Pro 6 Disk space question

jabberwockie1
Aspirant

Readynas Pro 6 Disk space question

Hi,
I have read several post that have talked about 16tb limit and a 18tb limit but still not sure why I'm only showing 13tb with my 6 x 3 tb drives installed.
1) put in 6 x 3tb drives
2) did a factory reset with config for xraid X-RAID2
3) dashboard now shows: 4255 gb(30%) of 13 tb used

What am I missing?
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

18TB limit?

There is a 16TB limit. You can't expand a volume past 16TB on 4.2.x. To get a volume larger than 16TB on 4.2.x you have to do a factory default with your drives in place. If you need a larger volume again you will need to do another factory default with the drives in place.

What version of RAIDiator are you running?

Note OS6 is not affected by the 16TB limit.

That 13TB is the volume capacity rounded down to the nearest TB. Note that disk manufacturers measure with 1000 Bytes = 1KB whereas the NAS uses 1024 Bytes = 1KB

So (6-1) * 3 * 1000^4 / 1024^4 = 13.64. After allowing for overheads and rounding down you get 13TB.
Message 2 of 7
jabberwockie1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
18TB limit?

There is a 16TB limit. You can't expand a volume past 16TB on 4.2.x. To get a volume larger than 16TB on 4.2.x you have to do a factory default with your drives in place. If you need a larger volume again you will need to do another factory default with the drives in place.

What version of RAIDiator are you running?

Note OS6 is not affected by the 16TB limit.

That 13TB is the volume capacity rounded down to the nearest TB. Note that disk manufacturers measure with 1000 Bytes = 1KB whereas the NAS uses 1024 Bytes = 1KB

So (6-1) * 3 * 1000^4 / 1024^4 = 13.64. After allowing for overheads and rounding down you get 13TB.

I'm running 4.2.27 and I did do a factory default with the drives in place.
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yeah, so your volume is less than 16TB anyway and the expected capacity for X-RAID2 single-redundancy with the disks that you have installed.
Message 4 of 7
jabberwockie1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Yeah, so your volume is less than 16TB anyway and the expected capacity for X-RAID2 single-redundancy with the disks that you have installed.

ok -so how do I maximize the disks that I have to get beyond 13 tb?
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You've already making full use of your disks whilst retaining redundancy.
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

jabberwockie wrote:
ok -so how do I maximize the disks that I have to get beyond 13 tb?
To repeat what mdgm said (in a different way...) -

The array you have now is already 16 TB in size. The NAS (and windows) uses TiB, but calls it TB. 1 TiB is 1024*1024*1024 bytes, so it is larger than 1 TB (1000*1000*1000 bytes). So if you use TiB units ,the volume is only 13 TiB.

It's the same amount of space, just reported in different units of measure.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements