× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Pro 6 X-RAID 2 Dual Redundancy Proactive Drive Swap

steveoelliott
Luminary

Readynas Pro 6 X-RAID 2 Dual Redundancy Proactive Drive Swap

Hi all,

I have a Pro 6 running 4.2.27 with 4x1TB Hitachi drives (approved on HCL) and am planning to proactively replace 2 of them so from a mechanical / wear perspective the drives in the volume are different. I've heard many horror stories of multiple drive failures when a failure does occur. I figure by having half of my volume on newer disks I reduce this risk to some extent.

Now... I would of course backup my unit (500GB data approx) and then replace one disk at a time, waiting for it to re-sync and become fully redundant. I would then leave a few days for it to settle in and then do another drive.

Is there anything I should be aware of or additional precautions I should take. If it is better I shut down the units rather than hot swap them, then I can do this also. I'm concerned as there are some horror stories on here with folks re-sync's taking days and days and then freezing rendering the whole volume useless.

Is there are rough amount of time each disk should take to re-sync and become redundant on a system with no users.

Thanks...

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas Pro 6 X-RAID 2 Dual Redundancy Proactive Drive Swap

Hello steveoelliott,

I see. It should still be one at a time, same procedure with expansion. Replace one, let it resync and once done, replace the next disk and so on and so forth.

This might help: How do I replace a disk in my ReadyNAS Ultra, Ultra Plus, NVX or Pro series storage system?

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello steveoelliott,

We always strongly recommend to have full backup of important data.

Volume expansion may take a day for each disk, depending on how large the volume is. You may visit How do I vertically expand an X-RAID 2 volume on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system? article.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
steveoelliott
Luminary

Hi,

I will be using identical drives for replacement so there should not be any expansion... Just a re-sync.

I presume this should be faster...

Thanks...

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello steveoelliott,

I see. It should still be one at a time, same procedure with expansion. Replace one, let it resync and once done, replace the next disk and so on and so forth.

This might help: How do I replace a disk in my ReadyNAS Ultra, Ultra Plus, NVX or Pro series storage system?

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
steveoelliott
Luminary

All - Just so I have an idea of the time involved, how long ball park would an X-RAID 2 rebuild take on a pro 6 after I swap one of the disks? I will do this one at a time.

I have 4x1TB in an X-RAID2 dual redundancy and am looking to proactively swap two of them so mechanically the disks are different from a wear perspective. I have exactly the same models since I kept some back when the installation was initially completed.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@steveoelliott wrote:

All - Just so I have an idea of the time involved, how long ball park would an X-RAID 2 rebuild take on a pro 6 after I swap one of the disks? I will do this one at a time.

I'm thinking at most 3 hours per 1 TB disk.   I've seen a log posted some time ago that showed about 7 hours to resync 6x2TB RAID-6.  That's 3x the disk I/O that is needed for 4x1TB RAID-6. 

Message 6 of 8
steveoelliott
Luminary

OK Thanks... Some folks on here talk about hundreds of hours but I suspect something is going wrong then. I will verify all SMART data before starting and have a secondary unit acting as a backup.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@steveoelliott wrote:

I will verify all SMART data before starting and have a secondary unit acting as a backup.

Both good practices.  You should be able to see the progress, both with RAIDar and from frontview.  Often hovering over the disk icons will give more extra info.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements