× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ultra 2: Rebuild kernel with NF_CONNTRACK

marek_erban
Aspirant

Ultra 2: Rebuild kernel with NF_CONNTRACK

Hi,

I tried to add firewall/NAT support into my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (RAIDiator 4.2.22).

I downloaded RNDP6xxx_4.2.22_WW_src.zip, unpacked it and executed netgearize_kernel.sh.

Then I added ONLY NF_CONNTRACK into kernel's .config as a module, but it looks it needs some changes in kernel. I installed rebuilt kernel (without NF_CONNTRACK module) but after reboot was admin page (https://mynas/admin) "almost" blank (I see only border and some blank buttons). It looks some javascript requests doesn't work properly or returns unexpected data. In this state I'm not able to make changes in settings nor log in using SSH. Next difference is that fan is too fast and noisy.

I'm not able to find out some important information in logs. The only what I found is "fan 1 failed".

Can anybody help me to find out and solve this problem?

I tried to make different change in Netgear's original kernel .config (I added CONFIG_WIRELESS), and system worked perfectly.
Message 1 of 3
chirpa
Luminary

Did you replace the kernel image on the flash? Its not on the disks, but the internal flash key in the system. Modules though are on the disk.
Message 2 of 3
marek_erban
Aspirant

Yes, on the flash.
I use 2 ways:
1) Extract original firmware image, replace "kernel" file with my own (from bzimage), compute md5s and build new firmware image
2) boot in Tech support mode, mount sdb1 (flash) and replace kernel there.

I have not made some changes in /lib/modules yet.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements