× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Power requirements for WAX214v2

Southst
Aspirant

Power requirements for WAX214v2

What are the minimum power requirements when using a Poe+ injector with the wax214v2 access point? Approximately 50’ run from the Poe injector to the wap.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Can't find or Google for documentation???

Go to NETGEAR's site, go to Support, enter your model number, get PDF, read!
Message 2 of 4
Southst
Aspirant

That would have been an extremely helpful response if the documentation for that wap, which I had previously read, actually specified minimum power requirements. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it doesn’t, so it is not.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

It's printed about 100 times (wild guess) in the WAX214v2 User Manual

PoE+ (802.3at) switch is required, however a PoE (803.2.af) switch might be sufficient if the the AP’s 2.4 GHz radio works with reduced transmit power. Certainly not something I'd see as a normal suggested operation status,

The minimums are set by the IEEE standardization - this depends on the possible length of the installation. Again not something you should consider as an installation standard, unless you are to cheap to invest in industry standard PoE+ switches.

Strictly stay with the IEEE Standards, like 802.3at or bust. Can't be easier.

Can't wait for a new post where somebody comes and lists cable quality and length, some voltage and amps details, in-span and out-span blah, and so on. Far to many power injectors in the market, for proprietary junk like so called passive PoE devices. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements