× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

Set Custom Speed Test Server

Hi,

Using Insight we can do a speedtest to see how fast the connection is. I’m using a PR60X with a 4Gbps fibre connection but running speedtest from the router (both via Insight or the local GUI) it doe not reflects my line speed. Using a computer wired connected to the 10Gbps lan port is works just fine BUT I have to select a specific speedtest server. It seems not all servers ready for testing a high speed connection.

So I would like to have a feature what gives me the option to select a speedtest server manually!

Rgd
Rob
11 Comments
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Music-IT,

Thank you for submitting this great idea /or feature request. Rest assured that I will forward this to our Insight Engineers.

Kind regards,

schumaku
Guru

These kind of speed tests were more a relict of the past, from times users did not having Gb and 10Gb Internet - when ISPs had set-up reflector hosts for pure marketing purposes. The "best" these tests do is to proof how good these ISPs peeering connections are nowadays. Not sure (among freeing up of resoiurces on the wireless devices) if this is the reason why Netgear has removed it from the recent firmware updates of the WAX6xx, or if Ookla does no longer allow using their platform without Ads or other promotions.

Face it: Oookla is owned by ZiffDavis.... Said this; The ISP set-up a speed test test point comes at a cost. And in reality, not all ISP have worldwide, national or regional peering - so the trafficis coming at a cost. I don't see why one should operate a probe server and pay for a say for example a 10 GbE connection and the peering traffic.

Many ISP are indeed operating or participating in such similar frameworks, here in Switzerland it's https://ux.cnlab.ch/benchmarking/home - where all ISP participating are hosting "local" probes, and no expensive peerings come in the play, and leaving a "bad impression" under certain conditions.

Last: newly introduced WiFi 7 does bring more bandwith to every home than what the average home and SMB Internet connection does provide. Already with WiFi 6 and modern clients the speed possible is ways beyond of what the majority of Internet connections are providing. Said that: Most "tests" are testing the home network, and no longer the Internet connection.

Music-IT
Aspirant

Hi @schumaku 

I have several  customers with WAX6xx series AP’s running the latest firmware and they can all do the speedtest. So were does the “Netgear has removed it from the recent firmware updates” comes from?

And for me doing a speedtest direct from the router can be usefulll as fi it did prove to my isp that my upload speed was not conform spec’s.

rgds

rob

BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Music-IT,

It appears that his feature has disappeared in the WAX630E and will check with other models. Our Wireless Engineering team has suggested to submit a ticket through them regarding this request.

Kind regards,

Music-IT
Aspirant

@BrianL how do a submit a ticket to the wireless engineering team? Just via the regular support team or?

BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Music-IT,

Kindly contact our support team to get a ticket then PM it to me.

Kind regards,

schumaku
Guru

Sorry for the confusion. I have aparently checked several WAX630E in different deployments, either local or via Insight, and came to a wrong conclusion. 

BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @schumaku,

It seems that is the case. Let me check that with the team and let you know why.

Kind regards,

schumaku
Guru

Here an reply I've just posted in reply to a Swiss French speaker post in the community - this is why I don't see -any- future in the **** Oookla speed test implementation.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Diff%C3%A9rence-de-vitesse-entre-Rou...

Music-IT
Aspirant

Hi @schumaku, as far as I understand your French post after using the translator I see exactly the reason why I want control over te selection off the target Speedtest server. I have alway’s been using the same server what is stable and fast so I can compare lines. My line is 4Gbps and when testing it with computer directly connected to my router I get values near the 4Gbps but only with a few very specific servers. When I do the speedtest with auto selecting servers it will find servers closer to my place but they can’t handle the 4Gbps. 

And as we don’t have control over the server selection when running the speedtest direct from the router using Insight or the router gui it might just select one of the non capable servers.

That is why I want control over the selection of the target server!

rgds

Rob