× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

Set Custom Speed Test Server

Hi,

Using Insight we can do a speedtest to see how fast the connection is. I’m using a PR60X with a 4Gbps fibre connection but running speedtest from the router (both via Insight or the local GUI) it doe not reflects my line speed. Using a computer wired connected to the 10Gbps lan port is works just fine BUT I have to select a specific speedtest server. It seems not all servers ready for testing a high speed connection.

So I would like to have a feature what gives me the option to select a speedtest server manually!

Rgd
Rob
11 Comments
schumaku
Guru

Hello Rob,

Perfectly understand the reason why you are seeking this option. For my part, I don't know enough on how the Speedtest client does evaluate the prospect best server.

The killer point to me are the extreme bandwidth users are hoping to see the best possible result.

When you look at the example form this Swiss customer, you see that already the theoretically 10 Gb/s connected router alone does already massively suffer from the real-world factors, where one would expect some 9.6...9.8 or better numbers. From operating client environments at four of these ISPs serving Speedtest servers here (Glattwerk, GGA, iWay, and Swisscom - all symmetrical 1 Gb/s connections on fiber - pluis an own drak fiber to a well known open peering site in Glattbrugg), I learnt the hard way that the Speedtest results are more than just random. Several of these servers are connected by just 10 Gb/s Ethernet. And I know my customers Internet connections perform much better than what Oookla is "measuring". This is why I have zero trust into the Ookla "system" - as it does lead to wrong results and false impressions of the Internet connection capabilities.

For the fun, I'm currently testing two average WiFi 7 wireless systems, one with a 2.5 GbE, and open with a 10 GbE uplink. And yes, these systems make much more over the 802.11be, PHY link rates ways beyond of what these Ethernet links can handle. To be indepedent, I'm operating OpenSpeedTest systems, both on phsyical machines and on containers with no massive difference interestingly. If people want to experience what thier new infrastructure can do, this is what I'm suggesting - forget virtually all these Internet test sites.

This is all what I can provide on the information and environment information