× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Enable one way connectivity from one VLAN to another

Routers like Ubuiquiti allow devices on main VLAN to initiate connection with devices on IoT VLAN, but protect devices on main VLAN from IoT devices being able to connect to them. 

Unfortunately Network Isolation feature in Orbi Routers isolates all devices on VLAN so that no device outside VLAN can connect them. This is too limited and makes the feature of separating IoT devices into a separate IoT VLAN almost useless, because way too often devices on Default VLAN (e.g. Phone or Laptop) need to connect to IoT devices to be able to control them. The only way to achieve this is by disabling Network Isolation feature, which then completely negates the whole security value of IoT VLAN separation.

I am quite disappointed that an Orbi Pro range of routers does not have such a simple firewall rules definition capability. IoT VLAN is presented as a major security feature of the router that on the surface makes sense, but only when used in reality turns out to be totally unusable the way it is currently implemented in Orbi Pro Routers. I really hope a firmware update is released to correct this major flaw.

2 Comments
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, the SXS Pro Series of Orbi has gone into EoL status. So no new features will be seen. Only if and when a security issues appears, NG maybe put forth FW to resolve any security issues. Good Luck. 

hajar1
Guide

Brilliant. I invested close to a 1000 Euros for Router and 4 satellites just last year and it is already EoL... Another nail in the coffin of me continuing as a NetGear customer in future.