Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

Hi @btrlin,

1. Are you getting an error message?

2. Are you able to log in trough the OpenDNS website?

3. Have you tried using other devices?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 26 of 111
mikepalomino72
Aspirant

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

I do not have an iOS or MAC having problems with using my OpenDNS acct or and will not allow me to setup a new Open DNS through my genie will not accept the password regardless of what characters and numeric values I used. Please advise solution so I can setup parental controls...thanks!

Message 27 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mikepalomino72,

Please try creating a password that meets the required parameters and is exactly 15 characters long. Keep us posted if it works.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 28 of 111
denbo671
Aspirant

Is there an update to this? I am unable to sign into opendns through nEtgear genie.

Message 29 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @denbo671,

1. What is the error message that you are getting?

2. Do you already have an existing OpenDNS account?

3. Has it worked before?

4. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team 

Message 30 of 111
denbo671
Aspirant

1. There was an error signing in, please make sure you're connected to the Internet.

I am using the correct user name and password and connected to the Internet. I cannot get through.

2. Yes. I can sign into opendns main website.

3. Never worked before.

4. Version 2.4.20
Message 31 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @denbo671,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your router?

2. have you tried logging in using another device (another computer, smartphone, tablet)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 32 of 111
RVG4
Aspirant

I am having the same problem but seeing the run around other users have been subjected to, I am not very hopeful.

Dexter, this is your opportunity to show that you are not a computer but a real person that gives a $#!+.

Please describe the full circumstances in which parental control or OpenDNS EVER worked through Genie.

Please provide:

1) The device type, name and OS type and version that EVER worked

2) A full password that has ACTUALLY been accepted and known to work (no password rule or suggestion)

3) The router(s) model number(s) and firmware version(s) through wich it EVER worked

Please DO NOT respond with a list of useless canned questions or suggestions.

Message 33 of 111
RVG4
Aspirant

Message 34 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RVG4,

The reason why we ask for these information is for us to perform our own test in our lab. This also helps us isolate the issue and provide the right answer or solution at the soonest possible time. We always appreciate your cooperation since not all solutions apply to all users.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 35 of 111
juiceland
Tutor

Hello

We have just created an OpenDNS account which we can login to directly without problem, we have created a 15 digit password which meets OpenDNS requirements.

When we attempt to login via Genie, we get the error "There was an error signing in, please make sure you are connected to the internet and try again".

We are connected to the internet and logged into OpenDNS under the associated account.

1. Are you still trying to register an OpenDNS account or do you already have an existing one? HAVE ONE ALREADY - TRIED 2 SEPARATE ACCOUNTS

2. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program/app? YES

3. What version of the NETGEAR Genie program do you have installed on the laptop?  2.4.20

4. Are you getting an error message? If yes, what is it? "There was an error signing in, please make sure you are connected to the internet and try again".

5. What is the model number of your device? DGN1000

6. What is the firmware version? V1.1.0.50

Please advise.

Thanks

John

Message 36 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @juiceland,

1. Have you tried signing in using other devices (smartphone, tablet, another computer)?

2. Have you tried signing up for a new account through the app/program?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 37 of 111
juiceland
Tutor

Hi Dexter

1. Have you tried signing in using other devices (smartphone, tablet, another computer)? NO 

2. Have you tried signing up for a new account through the app/program? YES

Thanks

John

Message 38 of 111
juiceland
Tutor

I have now installed on Android phone and it works but wll not work on any PC.

Message 39 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @juiceland,

1. How many computers are encountering the issue?

2. What are the operating system/s of those computers?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 40 of 111
juiceland
Tutor

All Windows 7 64 bit

Message 41 of 111
juiceland
Tutor

Any possibility of a speedy resolution to this?

Message 42 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @juiceland,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 43 of 111
juiceland
Tutor

Still no rsponse to my reply to your message. Was this designed to remove the problem from the forum?

Absolutely shocking service so far.

Message 44 of 111
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is preposterous that there is no solution for this still. I have a R7500 runnin v 1.0.0.94 and Netear Genie installed on Mac w/ El Capitan. Very disappointed with Netgear. 

Same issue as everyone on this thread.

Please advise, I have installed, re-installed, but not able to setup parental controls using Genie

Message 45 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Zabardast,

1. Have you tried using another device (another computer, Android device)?

2. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

3. What error message are you getting?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 46 of 111
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Please see my responses: 1. from my macbook and my ipad 2. Netgear Genie v 2.4.10 3. from NetGear Genie: "Login failed. the router response timed out" BTW Netgear Genie gives same error when I click on Router Settings or ReadyShare. Under Netgear Genie Parental Controls I get the following message: "Checking router firmware We're making sure you have the firmware that supports Live Parental Controls. You don't appear to be connected to the internet. Please connect to the Internet through your NETGEAR router and try again." Let me know how to proceed. Thank you
Message 47 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Zabardast,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 48 of 111
juiceland
Tutor

I have now purchased a different router due to lack of Netgear support.

Message 49 of 111
bill224
Tutor

I reviewed all can't see how the problem solved except some would get private emails from "professional".  my problem has a bit different because I believed all probelms caused by openDNS that is not part of netgear company's product but other company embeded in netgear such as we bought router WNDR3400.

can't login (router settings, parental controls and ready share) happened after I made a mistake to click parental controls.

finally I got rid of openDNS but still can't login for router settings, parent controls and ready share.

still felt openDNS in charge that speed slow down, frequently got connection failed. even in parental controls shows --you don't appear to be connected to the internet which is ridiculous. shouldn't netgear help me back to normal life? netgear should post a warring openDNS is "other" company products could cause problems and netgear won't be responsible to fix..

Just by accident made a mistake to test netgear "new" function--parental controls then been tortured till router died.

attached one of paper that had same desiring to get rid of openDNS: 

I have tried changing the primary and secondary DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's public DNS servers) on the router and rebooting it. Ditto on the individual machines. But these don't seem to have changed anything. I presume the ISP is somehow overriding it.

Message 50 of 111
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7