Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk r6700v2 losing internet connection periodically

stottad87
Aspirant

nighthawk r6700v2 losing internet connection periodically

Periodically i will lose internet connection to the router. when the pc is plugged directly to the modem theres is no issue. but whenever i lose connection through the router i turn the router off, unplug the modem for about 30 seconds then plug modem power back in and turn power on to router. once the router boots up i have internet connection again. its an easy fix but i should not have to keep doing this.

Message 1 of 104

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: nighthawk r6700v2 losing internet connection periodically

Hi Mkoish and Bob_Ross,

Please check this firmware and see if the same problem.

https://kb.netgear.com/000054437/R6700v2-Firmware-Version-1-2-0-16

View solution in original post

Message 98 of 104

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @stottad87

Do you notice if the power light goes off on the unit when it loses the connection?

Did you try reinstalling the firmware of the router? 

If not, I suggest that you do that first then factory reset the unit. 

Message 2 of 104
stottad87
Aspirant

I had to factory reset the router when i initially setup the router because no internet was coming through the router, was onm phone with netgear support for 45mins trying all kinds of methods before it started working, and the firmware has been reinstalled. I will try to factory reset again but will it take me another 45mins and try different methods before it will connect again?

Message 3 of 104
stottad87
Aspirant

theres got to be some reason why the router wont let internet through bc the only way i get internet through router when it stops is by unplugging and plugging in power to modem and turning power on and off with router? is it something to do with the MAC address?

Message 4 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Will this problem happen if you connect your PC directly to the modem?

This needs to be isolated further to pinpoint exact which one is causing the problem.

If the problem happens as well without the router then the modem might be the problem. If not, it could be router settings.

Are you using Cable ISP? If you do, configure the router to use your computers MAC Address to help the stability of the connection.

You can see the article below on how to configure it. 

No Internet with new router - MAC spoofing

Message 5 of 104
Lbeagley79
Aspirant

I was suffering from the same intermittent and frequently dropping wifi on this router. Just updated the firmware to 1.1.0.34 and wifi has been running absolutely solid for 3 days straight! No dropped wifi, no waiting for signal, just great performance. Looks like the software and firmware engineers got the issue figured out. 

If you have not yet updated the firmware, go do it! Night and day difference. 

Message 6 of 104
Tian
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue and it's very annoying to have to restart everything almost daily. According to the router: Firmware Version V1.0.1.20_10.0.32. I wasn't able to find an update on netgear's site.

So far this router is worse than my previous lowly Asus RT-N10P.

BTW, this is kind of new. I didn't have this issue when I originally installed the router at the beginning of 2017.

Message 7 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Tian It looks like you're using version 1. The thread talks about R6700v2

How long have you had the router? 

Who is your ISP?

What's the brand of the modem?

Is the connection stable when you connect your PC straight to the modem?

Message 8 of 104
Tian
Aspirant

Yes, I noticed that.

I only bought last December 2016.

Xfinity is my ISP

Brand: Netgear

Yes, the connection is there when I connect the PC to the modem, as it was with my old router that never, in more than 4 years, lost connection unless the modem was down. That's why I know the issue is with the new router.

Message 9 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you follow the steps in doing MAC cloning?

If that didn't work, try the article below.

I cannot access the Internet with my NETGEAR router; what troubleshooting steps should I follow?

Message 10 of 104
MargaretB
Aspirant

I too have this problem. I am using a Comcast Cisco cable modem. I have two Win 10 PCs connected by ehternet ( these share a single cable to the router as I use a simple non wifi router) Previously to installing the Netgear router, I used this setup successfully with a Medialink wifi router but the ethernet was limited to 100mbs. Now, I have to power off/on the Netgear at least once a day as it loses internet connection. I tried the MAC spooling but that stopped all internet access so I reset the MAC setting in the router admin dialog to Use Default. I updated the firmware to the latest un installation of the Netgear last week. 

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MargaretB Check as well the Ethernet connection between the modem and router. Make sure that the connection from the PC to the modem is stable.

In this way, you can be sure that the router is at fault. 
By the way, have you tried resetting the router? If not, try to reinstall the firmware and reset the unit. 

Message 12 of 104
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey, so I'm also experiencing what appears to be the same issue on my brand new R6700v2 router.

I just upgraded my parents home wifi from an old e1200 and a no name range extender due to constant wifi drop outs. I removed their old equipment, powered down the xfinity telephony modem, installed the new router, powered up the modem, waited for internet connection to come back and then powered on the router. On initial login from a wired computer, it had me upgrade the router firmware to V1.1.0.34_1.0.1. Not a single setting had been configured yet on the router.

Once the upgrade was completed, I configured the wifi network names and passwords, got everything set. On first glance, we were getting full speed from the internet connection, reliably, with way better range than before. However, about 2 hours into the router being up and running, it appeared to freeze. All computers lost internet connectivity. The router had not a single light flashing, the ethernet lights were illuminated solid, 2.4 and 5ghz were illuminated solid as well. After about 15 minutes of trying to reconnect, log in to the router (which which would not work with the app on my phone OR the wired computers) I powered the router down. Waited about 15 seconds, powered the router back up. It went through a long sequence of flashing lights and what not and finally everything worked again.

Didn't have a single issue again for the remainder of the night, or at all this morning. Then, again today at 3PM, the router appeared to freeze. All lights illuminated steadily without flashing, wired computer showing that it was attached to a network but without an internet connection, and all wifi communication gone again. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, nothing came back up on its own, so I powered down the router for 15 seconds, powered it back on, and here we are working again as normal.

What are my solutions? the same number of devices are on the network as before, so MAC spoofing should not be necessary. MTU numbers are accurate as I did the ping test and it worked up to 1472, and 1472+28=1500 so no adjustment there. I'd love for this to work reliably but if we can't come to a viable solution quickly I will be returning it to Amazon for a full refund and going with a competitor's product.

Thanks!

Danny

Message 13 of 104
eligia
Aspirant

I'm on week #2 of owning the nighthawk r6700v2 / V1.1.0.38_1.0.1 and I'm having to reboot multiple times per day. 

The internet connection slowly degrades for all devices until all traffic ceases and reset is required, I've resorted to resetting using the admin console to avoid walking into the other room. 

I noticed several 1 star reviews on amazon describing similar issues. 

Message 14 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Will you guys experience the issue if you downgrade the firmware? 

Did you try MAC Spoofing? 

MAC spoofing will be unnecessary if you're on DSL connection.

Message 15 of 104
MargaretB
Aspirant

My unit has behaved well since I reseated my yellow ehternet cable to the modem. Recently, we moved and I experienced one more lockup just after I was plugging in more ethernet cables to the router. I think the WAN socket is really sensitive to cable movement. 

Message 16 of 104
eligia
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

Will you guys experience the issue if you downgrade the firmware? 

What version should I downgrade to?

Did you try MAC Spoofing? 

No I have not tried mac spoofing. I'm using cable TekkSavvy in Canada. 

Message 17 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@eligia Try MAC spoofing first then observe connection. 
If it's the same thing and you have the latest firmware installed, use the previous version 1.1.0.34.

Message 18 of 104
eligia
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

@eligia Try MAC spoofing first then observe connection. 
If it's the same thing and you have the latest firmware installed, use the previous version 1.1.0.34.

I enabled the following yesterday after you inquired.  Will observe and update. 

Basic / Internet / Use Computer MAC Address

Message 19 of 104
eligia
Aspirant

I've just downgraded to V1.1.0.34_1.0.1 after losing connections about ~once per day since last update.

Will update again. 

Message 20 of 104
clee1978
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issues with this device as well.  I am using the device as an Access Point.  I have tried all firmware updates available and performed factory resets using the 30/30/30 method.  I have currently found that firmware V1.1.0.34_1.0.1 is the most stable; however, I still experience disconnects with my late 2014 Macbook Pro, two Samsung Galaxy S7 phones, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle Fire HD, Amazon Echo, a Windows 10 laptop, and a Windows 7 laptop.  I never had these issues with my ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight.  Wireless connections for all of these devices using the ASUS were always stable.  I really would like for this device to function properly because it is extremely fast when it does work.  I suppose my question is that has anyone found a firmware version that is working for them, and does Netgear plan to address this issue in a new firmware update soon?  Thanks in advance for the help, and I hope Netgear gets this resolved soon!

V/r

clee1978

Message 21 of 104
eligia
Aspirant

V1.1.0.34_1.0.1

MAC Spoofing enabled.

1. If I wire directly into my cable modem, and visit speedtest.net I get ~25Mbps (by pass router completely.) GOOD

2. If I wire directly into the router, and visit speedtest.net I get ~25Mbps (No WiFi) GOOD

3. If I connect to 2.4 GHz  and visit speedtest.net I get ~5Mbps

4. If I connect to 5GHz  and visit speedtest.net I get ~8Mbps 

Over WiFi the speeds are consistently slow and slowly degrade until all connections eventually begin failing.  Frustration is growing in my househould. The WiFi download speeds are quite slow, evrn when direclty beside the router with varying devices. (MacBook, iOS/Android Tablets, Phones).  

If there is a way for me to turn up logging and provide them, let me know. I'm willing to work with a dev if that will help identify and resolve this issue. 

I'm close to returning the router.

Message 22 of 104
eligia
Aspirant

I noticed when WiFi connected devices begin failing to reach the internet, DNS requests fail with timeout 

]$ dig google.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> google.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

While in this state I can successfully ping the DNS servers listed in the Internet Port section of the admin console:

$ ping 206.248.154.170
PING 206.248.154.170 (206.248.154.170): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 206.248.154.170: icmp_seq=0 ttl=60 time=97.866 ms
64 bytes from 206.248.154.170: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=16.569 ms
64 bytes from 206.248.154.170: icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=27.254 ms
64 bytes from 206.248.154.170: icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=28.252 ms
64 bytes from 206.248.154.170: icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=152.658 ms
64 bytes from 206.248.154.170: icmp_seq=5 ttl=60 time=47.626 ms
64 bytes from 206.248.154.170: icmp_seq=6 ttl=60 time=92.136 ms

After I sign into the admin console and hit reboot, 

$ dig google.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> google.ca
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 35461
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.ca.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
google.ca.		103	IN	A	172.217.0.227

;; Query time: 112 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Sun Jul  2 19:29:13 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 43

Internet connectivity is now restored . 

Message 23 of 104
Tian
Aspirant

I wish I could return it...

Message 24 of 104

I'll chime in. I'm having the same problems with my month old Nighthawk R6700v2.  Sometimes it will go days and work fine, sometimes I have to reset it 2-3 times in a day.  When mine drops, sometimes it's only wifi devices, but usually it's both wifi and hard wired.  I contacted support and was given a list of steps to take that I knew wouldn't fix anything, but I've been around long enough to know you have to follow the script.  Factory reset / change channels (why this would affect wired connections is beyond me...) change fragmentation settings.  It locked up 2 hours after making the recommended changes.  I'm awaiting their reply now.

If I hadn't thrown the box away I'd send it back.

Message 25 of 104
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7