Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk r6700v2 losing internet connection periodically

MargaretB
Aspirant

Re: nighthawk r6700v2 losing internet connection periodically

I will submit one later today. I have had the router for two months. It was registered the day I installed it. 

Message 51 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Feel free to PM me the case number once done.

Message 52 of 104
MargaretB
Aspirant

Done. Thank you.

Message 53 of 104
stottad87
Aspirant

After searching online and looking through responses i finally called support and got an RMA. Got replaced with same model, R6700v2. At first i was having problems getting internet through the router on the initial set up. What finally took was to factory reset the router and my modem. Thought my problems were fixed... A few days after having the new router... same problem as before, exact same, but not as frequent. But thats how the original router started out as well. It is my firm belief that there is a problem with the whole r6700v2 lineup. This whole experience will have me to never buy netgear again. It is obviously the router, whether its the software or the hardware, but when internet is connected directly from modem to pc or to a totally different router there are no issues. If possible i could RMA every single r6700v2 that comes my way and i am certain i will have the same issues. Unfortunately i am not sure if i would recieve a upgraded model through an RMA but once i get frustrated enough with the constant intermittent internet connection i will try my best to get some kind of compensation for this faulty model.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 54 of 104
dctec12
Guide

That is suprising to me. They told me they were going to give me an R7000 right off the bat as soon as the RMA was opened. I've had mine running for about a week now and so far no issues (fingers crossed). Clearly someone knows that there are problems with the R6700 but it doesn't seem to be well communicated.

Message 55 of 104
annirun
Aspirant

I can confirm firmware V1.1.0.42_1.0.1 still reproduces this issue (had .38 after origonally purchasing).  I'm on a support call right now, but if they do't offer an RMA I'll PM you Elaine.  Thank you for watching this thread and providing support.

Message 56 of 104
gvtrinath
Aspirant

@annirun Did support help you in any way? I am in India and had it brought over from US in July. I have upgraded firmware to V1.1.0.42_1.0.1 and continue to have the exact same issue. All WiFi devices go down and the connection comes back after about couple of minutes. I have not timed the duration yet. I had a Netgear EX6200 (WiFi Range Extender) earlier, which was working perfectly as a router using DD-WRT. I have since flashed that after I bought R6700v2. I can't return this device the back to US. So I am kind of stuck with this...

Any support or advice to fix this is greatly appreciated!

Message 57 of 104
annirun
Aspirant

@gvtrinath Support had me play round with what band to use and enable MU-MIMO.  Enabling MU-MIMO did show imporovements, now the router works mostly if only one device is connected to it.  When a second device tries to use the internet the timeout issues return.

Message 58 of 104
monday16
Aspirant

Has anyone had any luck with Netgear support on this.  All I have been told is to reset my router to factory settings over and over.  I have basically same issue as everyone else.  It keeps dropping connections, although anything I have hard wired into back of router stays connected.  It's random, sometimes I can go as long as 3 days without dropping the wifi, usually need to reboot modem atleast once a day.  I setup my old linksys router and ran it for a week, did not have a single drop.  I am temtpted to just eat it on this router and toss it, it's alot of money, but the frustration of constant drops and being told it's my ISP or reset to factory settings...AGAIN is even worse.  I have had this modem for 3 months, and lived in 2 places during that time.  Both places the same issue. I doubt its the ISP.  I had my previous router for about 4 years and don't remember it ever dropping conection unless the power went out. Between the router itself and the lack of customer service I regret wasting my money on this.  If someone ever gets a solution from NetGear that works, please post it for the rest of us...thanks.

Message 59 of 104
MjAj
Aspirant

I have this same issue that appears to be described throughout this channel. I will say i have the advantage over some others as i work for the ISP that services my home. I also have an extra added benefit that i can monitor the ISP provided Cable Modem that provides my internet. I have also had multiple other teams (CPE Engineering etc) double check everything on my account and Cable Modem. So i can say without a doubt that its not my ISP that is causing my issues. 

My issue has been happening since i purchased this router. i will say that i will never buy another Netgear. I have tried every single Software version that has been available for this model and still nothing helps. I can also say that its only effecting devices on the WiFi (opening CMD terminal and trying to ping Google fails (or anything else for that matter)), and Wired connections do not appear to be effected (Playstation is fine). Internet just drops out 2-3 times a day (from what i can tell when the IP lease needs to renew). The only thing i can access is the router login site and it appears its best to do it via my iPad which works the fastest. I reset the internet connection by doing the following:

Login --> go to Advanced--> Advanced Home tab --> Internet Port --> Connection Status --> Click Renew

Once this cycles i am able to get back on the internet. 

This without a doubt is the worst Wireless router i have ever owned and i have tested wireless routers (stand alone and integrated with Cable Modems) for my job. 

what have other been doing to remedy this issue with Netgear??

Message 60 of 104
ostromark
Star

I had exactly the same problem described by MjAj. I isolated the problem to a failure of the router DNS services. When it failed I could still ping internet IP addresses. In my case i found that one device on my home network, an Amcrest IP camera, was triggering the router problem. I configured the camera to use a static IP address and I put my ISP DNS addresses in for the DNS instead of 192.168.1.1. My router has worked perfectly since I made that change to the camera three days ago. Prior to that, DNS failed consistently after about 17 hours of uptime.

I believe this to be a problem in the netgear firmware. I'm glad that I was able to work around it for myself. However I'm sure a lot of people are very frustrated by this.
Message 61 of 104
Janitorial
Aspirant

I too had an Amcrest Wireless camera that was added to the network just before my issues started. I too was able to get my devices working correctly when I manually assigned each computer to an IP and manually configured the DNS for each device, however I ended up returning it due to the hassle it would be for mobile wifi devices etc. I did not, however mess around with having the Amcrest camera use a static IP, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the inital culprit to the DNS lookup failures.

Message 62 of 104
Lbeagley79
Aspirant

@ElaineM 

Not sure if you received my PM's, but I sent you the router S/N and case number for the performance issues I have with the 6700v2. When attempting to register the device, I got a message that my device has been registered by a support representative. Please let me know how to proceed. 

Message 63 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Lbeagley79 I just replied to your PM.

Message 64 of 104
Lbeagley79
Aspirant

@ElaineM

PM received. Sent you a detailed problem description and all fault isolation / troubleshooting steps taken in attempt to resolve the issue. 

Message 65 of 104
mwpra
Aspirant

I had the exact same problem listed here - router dropped internet connection every night. I also saw the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG error. Restarting the router was a temporary solution.

Props to whoever made the link to the Amcrest camera static IP config, because I had that exact setup.

Changing my camera to use both static IP and a static DNS server seems to have solved my problem.
Message 66 of 104
blooma
Aspirant

Hello, I have this router for about a month now. It is working great in the first couple of weeks, but recently I have been having disconnects everyday and even on multiple times a day. I am using the latest firmware version V1.1.0.42_1.0.1. I am not sure if the latest firmware is causing this but some people in this thread said that backing out to earlier firmware does not help.

I have just tried switching the router's MAC address to my laptop's so I will see if this fixes the problem or not.

If this does not work either, netgear really needs to recall this product and either fixing it, or give full refund. My 30 days return windows has just expired a few days ago, if I knew a lot of people having this problem I would have returned it.

Message 67 of 104
bgtees
Aspirant

Exact same issue, and I have an Amcrest IP cam (the 720p model). Going to try and assign it a static IP/DNS and hopefully that will fix the issue.  I've been running that camera for 18 months with my previous router (Asus RT-N66U) and never had a single DNS issue. This is gointg to make me very unlikely to buy Netgear next time due to the amount of time I have had to spend troubleshooting this issue.

Message 68 of 104
Lbeagley79
Aspirant

@ElaineM

Just following up regarding the R6700v2 RMA status.  Wanted to inform you I spoke with a support engineer today and validated it was a hardware performance issue based on all troubleshooting steps that were performed.  We're proceeding forward with a replacement router (different model #) so very satisfied here with the support you provided to make it happen.  Thanks again!

Message 69 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Lbeagley79 That's great to hear! You're welcome. 

Message 70 of 104
stottad87
Aspirant

Can someone from netgear finally help fix my situation?!?! I am the original poster, i got an RMA on the first router and what a surprise, second one has the exact same issues as the first..... Help me out here. I purchased a product that was supposedly fully functional, I have yet to get what i paid for.... With the amount of similar issues that the R6700v2 has if i get another RMA im very sure ill have the exact same issues again. So, help me out here?? Why cant i get what i paid for??? 

Message 71 of 104
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@stottad87 We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have made a follow-up with support regarding your concern. Someone from the team will reach out to you.

Message 72 of 104
gvtrinath
Aspirant

Same with me too. I am bought the router in US and had it brought to India. Now the support guys are just coming up with questions not relevant to this case.. They are asking questions like "are there any other devices nearby". I have had two other routers work in the same location without any issues for the past year. The problem started from the day R6700v2 was installed. I can't even RMA the device. I am stuck with this router and have to suffer with frequent disconnects. With the kind of support I am getting and the number of people reporting this, I am not going to buy another Netgear product. All these years I stood by Netgear and would always recommend Netgear to my family and friends, not so much anymore...

I have downgraded the firmware to V1.1.0.34_1.0.1, which has reduced the frequency of the disconnects but still not out of the woods. This clearly indicates a firmware issue. Why doesn't Netgear own up to this issue and release a new firmware which can actually fix rather than advice everyone on this thread to log tickets with support?

Message 73 of 104
VincentDu
Aspirant

So it's not just me...  My R6700V2 drops the connection periodically as well.  On good days, it drops only every other hour.  On bad days, it drops like every 10 minutes.  I have to connect to a VPN for work purpose.  Every time the connection drops, I have to reset the VPN.  It is way beyond annoying.  Tried to call support to return it, and the wait time for a rep is always more than an hour.  No time for that.  Netgeat, you can do better...  

Message 74 of 104
Bob_Ross
Aspirant

I also have this issue ever since I bought this router in July 2017. If this really is a hardware issue I would love to RMA and swap this out. If this can be solved with a firmware update then I'll gladly do that. 

I've upgraded the firmware 3 times and factory reset it afterwards and that still hasn't resolved this issue. I wish I would have known about this before purchasing the router.

Message 75 of 104
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7