× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Logitech Media Server by Super-Poisson not compatible with 6.6.0

MalcolmG
Aspirant

that's encouraging m-frank, thanks. However it's not showing in my list of available apps (ReadyNAS 102, FW 1.6.6). I've cleared the browser cache and re-tried. Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Malcolm

Message 76 of 212
claushindsgaul
Aspirant

Confirmed!

This made my squeezeboxserver work too on my RN102.

No, it does not show up on the ReadyNAS admin pages, but my players can use it.

Further testing and ReadyNAS integration fixes pending, it seems the most impatient users can now avoid factory resets!

Message 77 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

Unfortunately m-frank's solution doesn't seem to work on my RN104. I still cannot start the LMS. i.e. it switches off immedialtely on the 'Apps'-page, just like before. Not really surprising because, apart from the prefs-dir (/var/lib...), I had already done this and I couldn't fathom why the prefs-dir could pose a problem.

Back to the drawing board...Smiley Happy

Rik

Message 78 of 212
m-frank
Aspirant

Message 79 of 212
MalcolmG
Aspirant

I downloaded it, then dpkg -i to install it.

How do I start it? I tried systemctl start fvapp-nastools-logitechmediaserver.service but got an error:

Failed to start fvapp-nastools-logitechmediaserver.service: Unit fvapp-nastools-logitechmediaserver.service not found.

so I think I'm missing some steps.

Cheers

Malcolm

Message 80 of 212
GeddyLifeson
Aspirant

Hi,

I can also confirm that I got LMS running again on my RM102 thanks to the instructions by Otto in messages 71 & 72!

Some findings:

- You can also upload the nightly LMS via the NAS GUI after the purge of the Super-Poussin and present LMS packages.

- /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log is useful if the LMS does does not start even after purge and installing the arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz

- I did not delete the whole /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs folder, but needed to modify the server.prefs file because some dbsource and other references to the NAStools version of LMS (/apps/nastools-logitechmediaserver/)

- So if you are still having problems to use the NAStools LMS, then either check server.prefs or delete all folders related to Super-Poussin, nightly LMS and NAStools LMS, if you have used them all before you install either SP & nightly or NAStools.

- I will not test the NAStools version for the time being, as the nightly LMS started working on it's own from command line (service logitechmediaserver start), but I obviously installed the great Super-Poussin Add-on for GUI control of LMS.

Many thanks to all contributors

Br

Geddy

P.S I happened to be testing LMS on a spare laptop when this whole incident started, so I was able play all my music on all the devices without any hassles, but I'm still glad the NAS LMS is working again. NAS & LMS is just great together 🙂

Message 81 of 212
ABNL
Guide

Re: Logitech Media Server by Super-Poisson not compatible with 6.6.0[ Edited ]

Unfortunately m-frank's solution doesn't seem to work on my RN104. I still cannot start the LMS. i.e. it switches off immedialtely on the 'Apps'-page, just like before. Not really surprising because, apart from the prefs-dir (/var/lib...), I had already done this and I couldn't fathom why the prefs-dir could pose a problem.

==

Same problem on my RN102.. I've tried a lot of things now, the answer must be found in this thread 🙂

Message 82 of 212
ottovonkopp
Apprentice

@ABNL wrote:

Re: Logitech Media Server by Super-Poisson not compatible with 6.6.0[ Edited ]

==

Same problem on my RN102.. I've tried a lot of things now, the answer must be found in this thread 🙂

Have you tried this?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/Logitech-Media-Server-by-Super-Poisson-not-compat...

Message 83 of 212
ottovonkopp
Apprentice

Hi again!

Just updated my main NAS and LMS works.

Updated from

RN202 6.5.2

Latest nighly LMS

Poussin LMS 1.0.9

Did this.

1. Backup.

2. Install 6.6.0

3. From ssh command line

wget http://server.vijge.net/static/squeezebox/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz

tar -xf arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz -C /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20

4. Stream music from LMS.

Message 84 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

I can confirm that it works for me on my RN104 as well.

To summarize:

1. Install nightly LMS (in Apps tab > Upload)
  2. run in SSH: wget http://server.vijge.net/static/squeezebox/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz

then tar -xf arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz -C /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20

3. Install lms_1.0.9_all.deb Iin Apps tab > Upload)
  4. Switch on LMS in Apps

That's all!

Message 85 of 212
ABNL
Guide

I could use some help to get things done..

What is 1. install nightly LMS?

Do you mean to install something during the night? Why and where do you do this?

I activated SSH but to be honest, I do not know what I am doing. I am just a novice user. Once activated, where to find it?

And what does "wget" mean?

Message 86 of 212
nsne
Virtuoso

@ABNL, thank you for reminding folks that these are meant to be consumer devices.

"Nightly" is the most current build of the Logitech Media Server (LMS). Basically, every night a version of the LMS with all the day's changes is compiled and released for download. You can view them via the Web here.

Once you have activated SSH, you will need a terminal application (such as Terminal on macOS, or Putty for Windows). Using this, you can access the command line interface (CLI) of the ReadyNAS and type in text commands. To access the CLI, you'll need to type ssh root@[your ReadyNAS' IP address] and then enter your admin password. Typically, your ReadyNAS IP address will be something like 192.168.1.2, in which case you'd type ssh root@192.168.1.2

wget is another executable command you have to type in the CLI once you've accessed your ReadyNAS via SSH.

Does that make sense? You can really do a lot of damage via the command line, so please triple-check the step-by-step instructions others have provided above before actually typing anything in.

Message 87 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

First of all: both of you (nsne and @ABNL) are right that a (small) NAS is a consumer device and that it should work and be maintained (by its owner) easily.

But you have tio remember that this means that some people have to dig deep to clear errors and/or fix bugs. That is what we were doing here.

Of course there should be a manufacturer-based solution, be it by Netgear or the makers of the add-on packages. But Super_Poussin asked for input, whiich he got. So a more userfriendly soluition is probably on the way, in the form of a new firmware or new add-ons.

Message 88 of 212
ottovonkopp
Apprentice

@HWStigter wrote:

First of all: both of you (nsne and @ABNL) are right that a (small) NAS is a consumer device and that it should work and be maintained (by its owner) easily.

But you have tio remember that this means that some people have to dig deep to clear errors and/or fix bugs. That is what we were doing here.

Of course there should be a manufacturer-based solution, be it by Netgear or the makers of the add-on packages. But Super_Poussin asked for input, whiich he got. So a more userfriendly soluition is probably on the way, in the form of a new firmware or new add-ons.

I think mherge (he works at Logitech with LMS dev) over at forums.slimdevices.com is working on it. I know he asked the maker of the fix if he could include it the nightly LMS.

Message 89 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

@ottovonkopp I'd say that that would be a nice stop-gap solution, but Perl beinig a programming language I'd say that in the end it probably should be part of the firmware, since many more add-ons might use it (Perl isn't ubiquitous but not exactly hardly ever used, especially on Linux platforms).

If Netgear agrees with that it's something for 6.6.1, which might as well be an interim release.

Just my 2c.

Message 90 of 212
ABNL
Guide

@nsne

Thank you for the explanation: I think I'll manage. I've done something like that with the SQB itself for making it more 'audiofile' with a hires plugin or something. But I forgot and I reinstalled the enhanced function since I stopped doing source upsampling.

@HWStigter

You are right, it seems to be better to wait for a prepared solution at first. I'll be patient.

I installed LMS on a PC again and time will learn what happens. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Message 91 of 212
BACartman55
Aspirant

Hello, I'm not very good at this and I am trying to get my LMS back running.

I d/l Putty and when I log into my nas it coonects but then the terminal window quits.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

~Brian

Message 92 of 212
StephenB
Guru

Username is "root", and password is the NAS admin password.

ssh needs to be enabled on system->settings->services

Message 93 of 212
BACartman55
Aspirant

Thank you!

Its working now thanks to you, ottovonkopp, and nsne.

Thank you all

~BA

Message 94 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

From https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/commits/public/7.9 it appears that the Perl-modules will now be installed withnthe nightly's. Quote:

Merge pull request #118 from danielvijge/perl-5.20-armel-modules

See: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9 (to download the nightly).

If you already have installed (and are running LMS from a earlier version of the nightly's) your LMS installation will report:

An updated version of Logitech Media Server is available and ready to install.

On some Linux distributions we provide an automatic download of Logitech Media Server update installers. These currently are available for .rpm and .deb based systems.

Your Logitech Media Server has downloaded the latest installer to the following location:

/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb

Please execute the following steps to bring your Logitech Media Server installation up to date:

• Run the following command to execute the installer
  • sudo dpkg -i /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb

Message 95 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

Before I forget: On a Readynas you log in (through SSH with f.e. 'putty') as 'root', therefore you don't have to use 'sudo' which stands for 'superuser do'. Root already is superuser (su).

So 'dpkg -i /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb' will do.

Message 96 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

My bad: It's not the Pearl language itself, but the libraries for LMS that are missing. So adding them to the LMS-ser ver is the right way to do it!

Message 97 of 212
MalcolmG
Aspirant

Thanks to all of you for your efforts. I'm back up and running.

Cheers

Malcolm

Message 98 of 212
petecath
Guide

I can also confirm it is now working for me.    Really appreciate your efforts chaps.   No more early adopting ReadyNAS upgrades without reading the notes.  This is what i did

1. Install nightly LMS (in Apps tab > Upload)

Install lms_1.0.9_all.deb Iin Apps tab > Upload)
  3. Switch on LMS in Apps

No ssh magic needed

Thanks again

Message 99 of 212
Kberna1376
Apprentice

Every time Netgear does an update it creates a whole set of new problems for their users.  It is very irresponsible to release such buggy software before it is properly tested.  I will simply not update again till they get this fixed.  I have seriously considered getting rid of these servers and going with a more dependable product.

Message 100 of 212
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements