× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 Router keeps dropping Internet Connection

rgjacobsen
Tutor

R6400v2 Router keeps dropping Internet Connection

R6400v2 Router keeps dropping Internet connection. Some days I have to reboot it twice or more. Weirdly enough, checking the Internet connection through the app always gives me the super fast connection result, even when the browser can’t work and the Nighthawk app says it’s offline.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

1. what firmware is on the router? 

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

3. did this just start? has it been going on a while? 

4. does it happen to all devices? Just wireless devices? Just wired? 

5. Is IPv6 enabled? (if not enable and reboot the router)

Message 2 of 11
rgjacobsen
Tutor

It has the latest firmware version. I think this started after I installed it. The modem is an Arris SB6190, but if checking the Internet speed through the router’s app works, then I doubt it’s the modem. It also gets temporarily fixed after rebooting the router. I haven’t checked the wired devices, but all the wireless except TVs on Roku seem to get affected. IPv6 apparently comes disabled by default, I have just enabled it and set to use DHCP.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

"The latest version" isn't always the latest or there could be a version with issues. Its why we ask for an actual version number you're on. 

did ipv6 help?

Message 4 of 11
rgjacobsen
Tutor

It didn’t, it has just happened again. Firmware is v1.0.4.122_10.0.95, when I check for newer versions it says none is available.
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Try downgrading the firmware a version or 2. I've seen reports on the .122 firmware of issues. 

Message 6 of 11
rgjacobsen
Tutor

I have just read that someone had problems installing firmware manually with this model. In any case, how would I downgrade? I would need the previous firmware file, does Netgear have that available for downloading?
Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

If you go to the support site, click on downloads, then click on "view previous versions"

Download the one you want and extract it. 

Then from there you follow the manual firmware update process but instead of using newer firmware, you use the one you downloaded. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 8 of 11
rgjacobsen
Tutor

Thanks for your help. I went back to the previous version, in the middle of a new episode of Internet being down for wireless devices. The mobile app doesn't help, it often times out while I'm entering the password when logging in. It also didn't let me log in after the new firmware was installed, I had to use my laptop instead, it offered me to create a new password and that solved it. Now I'll wait and see if the latest firmware was the culprit.

Message 9 of 11
rgjacobsen
Tutor

It didn’t work, it’s still happening. I have just bought a new router, haven’t installed it yet, but I could try to use the current one as a repeater, although the house is completely covered without it. Maybe the shed camera would disconnect less often. Well, now I can only hope the router is indeed the problem, too bad it failed after only 4 years ( I can’t believe it’s been that long, but the registration says so…)
Message 10 of 11
hoangjoe
Initiate

Try go back to the time that you remember it was working okay. I have the same issue where the frequency of internet dropping is a couple times a day now that I have to reset my router everytime. and I had the latest firmware (v126). Now reading a couple threads of people recognizing the same issue, it was recommended to downgrade the firmware. So for me, it was working fine during 2021,  now I'm back to v1.0.4.118 (which is around mid 2021 according to release note). Wish me luck!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7