× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alert email messages won't send

XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Alert email messages won't send

Greetings,

I had a (brief) mains power failure on my ReadyNAS 626X running 6.10.8, since then no status emails have been sent. Can't say I'm impressed with my UPS, but that is another matter...

I have tried deleted and re-entering my email alert configuration but when trying to send a test message I get the the error message "Alert message failed to send" and the error code 1001000022.

I have tried re "upgrading" the firmware to 6.10.8, hoping that would reset whichever (invisible) setting has become corrupted, but that had no effect

Has anybody got any ideas of what to try next?

a) Where can I look up error code 1001000022?

b) Is there a lower-level log file I can check?

Thanks for reading.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Alert email messages won't send

@XtheUnknown wrote:

Yes, msmtp.log for one.

If you use gmail, there were some policy changes there a couple of months ago.  Google deprecated the "less secure apps" option, so you need to switch to an app-specific password.  They will require you to enable two-factor-authentication if you do this.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Re: Alert email messages won't send - recover alert configuration?

Just to add a another recover option:

I have a recent "everything" configuration backup, but I have made a couple of changes to shares/permissions since then.

Is it possible just to extract the email alerts section from the configuration zip file and just restore that? (Assuming that would correct the issue)

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@XtheUnknown wrote:

Yes, msmtp.log for one.

If you use gmail, there were some policy changes there a couple of months ago.  Google deprecated the "less secure apps" option, so you need to switch to an app-specific password.  They will require you to enable two-factor-authentication if you do this.

Message 3 of 5
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Thanks Stephen - That pointed me in the right direction. FYI for others:

The msmtp.log file had got quite large with many entries for failed attempts to send an email via GMail. The error returned by gmail was: "530-5.7.0. envelope from address XXXXXXXX@gmail.com not accepted by the server"

As you said, Google have updated their security requirements (since the last NAS restart 40+ days ago) and once I'd set up 2FA on the NAS's email account I could generate an app-specific password which was accepted. This is good to know for my other devices too!

Every day is a school day...

Message 4 of 5
aprosnyak
Tutor

Try this.

1. SSH to your NAS

2. Goto /etc/frontview, delete (or move elsewhere) files .oauth2-vault-email.json and alert.conf

3. Re-login to your email account in Settings-Alerts

4. Enjoy ))

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements