Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 Speed Test connection failed

Cabinew
Guide

Orbi RBR750 Speed Test connection failed

I have the Orbi model number RBR750 (number on the bottom of device), but the box says AX4200 RBK753S. It is the WiFi 6 robust Smart Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 system from Costco. I could not find it in the model number list above.

When I try to do the speed test I get a message saying “Connection Failed if the problem persists, please try rebooting your router”

What can I do to fix this?
Message 1 of 44
capiture
Guide

Switch to a more stable company. I’ve sure learned my lesson the hard way.
New eero is cheaper and service was great before I decided to give Orbi a try.
Message 2 of 44
gchin3
Initiate

You're not alone in this.  This appears to be an issue with the Orbi App.  Netgear support is not very responsive; if you need a warranty repair, it will take weeks to get something resovled -- and they'll not honor the warranty period...without you paying for their phone support to tell you that their equipment is broken....  I would suggest that you run the speedtest.net (or fast.com) on a browser to check your network performance.  

Tried so far:

Rebooted router.  

Rebooted cable modem.

Deleted Orbi app; re-installed Orbi app.

Someone suggested going to settings and looking for enabling "Orbi"...however, I don't see what they're talking about....

I've sent e-mail...nothing.

Good Luck.  

Message 3 of 44
capiture
Guide

Right - an absolute s..t show at NETGEAR!
I wanted $1400 on 3 routers and 1 modem and what a waste. Customer service is non existent.

Regarding speed test: sure you can do tests on your phone using browser, but that’s not same as the Orbi App. Because that tells you speed from modem to your connected router. Thus the speed of your internet provider.
Doing test on a browser has degradation depending on many factors on your device and distance.
Message 4 of 44
Cabinew
Guide

Thanks for the feedback. Like many others. The speed test worked great for the first couple of weeks, then all of the sudden it stops working. I wonder if it has something to do with firmware upgrades. I am not that tech savvy, but hope hope they have a simple solution.
Message 5 of 44
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Orbi Users, 

For those still experiencing issues, please send me a private message with your email address and phone number. I'd like for our support team to reach out for further investigation. 

Christian 

Message 6 of 44
Cabinew
Guide

Just sent you a private message with my email so we can try to resolve my issue.
Message 7 of 44
scng
Initiate

yes, speed test problem as described.

Message 8 of 44
MrsHudson
Initiate

We had just updated our internet speed along with our Orbi system a few days. I had ran the speed test on my phone through the app earlier today without any issues, a few hours later went to test the speeds again and now get a connection failed response. We rebooted the whole system Router and all Modems. I refuse to reinstall my system after having to go around me house and relink all my wifi outets, garage system, TVs and such back into the orbi even though it should have relinked everything once I renamed and gave the same password as the last orbi system. Nothing relinked like it was supposed to. 

Nothin changed in the last hours when first testing speed and later testing speed.

Message 9 of 44
capiture
Guide

Same issue - months and no response or support from awful NETGEAR staff. Zero care for customer.
NEVER again will I buy NETGEAR products.
NEVER!
Message 10 of 44
angrylocal
Aspirant

1) Cannot get the ORBI IOS app to do a speed test. Could do it before, re-installed app, same message, failed connection. 

2) Ethernet port on satellite not working

3) I have 1G FTTP service, cannnot get near that on WiFi max is 500 in same room, not impressed. 5G conection between base and satellite shows good. Using WIFI 6 antenna on testing device. 

Message 11 of 44
Markyyeomans
Tutor

Have Orbi WiFi 6 and have the same issue. First Day the speed test worked and now it doesn’t saying connection failed. Please help!
Model: SRK60B06|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 12 of 44
Cabinew
Guide

I ended up doing a reset and set everything up again using the same network name and password before I reset it, so all of my devices could reconnect. That fixed the problem for me and the speed test is still working.
Message 13 of 44
ssoward
Initiate

How did you do a factory reset? And did you need to reset the satellites to? Is it still working OK or do you anticipate the speed test will fail eventually again?
Message 14 of 44
Markyyeomans
Tutor

Having same issue as all - new Orbi WiFi 6 - all set up abs testing speed successfully for first 36hrs and then the Speedtest stopped working and states “connection failed.” Have reset the routers as advised and reinstalled the app but the speed test still doesn’t work..... please help. Have had 3 chats with the help desk but got nowhere unfortunately
Message 15 of 44
capiture
Guide

I tell you - NEVER AGAIN will I get NETGEAR.
Message 16 of 44
capiture
Guide

Absolutely - I Loved my eero and made a HUGE mistake trying Orbi because of the fake news consumer report suggestion.
I am very disappointed with NETGEAR service and lack of software quality.
Message 17 of 44
angrylocal
Aspirant

Update on factory reset. 

Factory reset the ORBI router and I can now do speedtests again. Testing of wired connection looks good and within expectations. The wired connection issue was an issue on my MAC and i get an IP address (fixed prior to reset) 

Wireless speedtests with WIFI6 devices less than expected, using Ookla App, Speedtest.net, ISP providers webesite and various speed test servers. 

Thanks,

Message 18 of 44
ssoward
Initiate

Glad to hear there’s a way to get this to work again, but as most people stated, it goes out after a short period. I’m ready to take this back and get the eero mesh.
Message 19 of 44
Cabinew
Guide

I did the reset on the phone with a net gear agent. I am sorry I don't remember the process. I would recommend calling their service team.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

Message 20 of 44
Markyyeomans
Tutor

Went through a length process of resetting everything with agent and Speedtest worked again, ....then after 36 hrs is stopped. So clearly there isn’t a long term fix for this issue. Can someone from netgear acknowledge there is a issue and look for a fix in the next update? Someone should let Ookla know as it reflects badly on them
Message 21 of 44
RRieben
Aspirant

I have the Orbi AX4200 with RBK752 router. I am having problems with Speed Test. Connection failed every time. I have uninstalled app, rebooted router and even tried new set up. Nothing works.

Message 22 of 44
RRieben
Aspirant

help

Message 23 of 44
Markyyeomans
Tutor

Will someone from netgear please come back on this thread with a fix?!
Message 24 of 44
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RRieben & Markyyeomans, 

May you provide the following info for us to check further. 

Router Firmware Version:

Orbi App Version Number: (please also specify whether it's iOS or Android)

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7