Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi disconnecting continously

albertoesq
Tutor

Orbi disconnecting continously

I just bought an Orbi Router + satellite, the first 2 weeks where a dream, excelent speed, WiFi everywhere and almost no hickups, but it had been already 2 weeks of nightmare, disconects every 20 minutes and it reconnect by itself after 5 minutes
I have already called support twice and the have only been able to verify together with me that the firmware is up to date and they ask to change the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channel with no success at all
My configuration is a ads connection to a dlink router and the Orbi connected as ap to the router, from the Orbi I have wired connected a 1gig switch with all the wired conections
I have checked that the problem is not the Internet provider, no desconection on the last 7 days
Please someone HELP
Message 1 of 84

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi disconnecting continously

Hello Everyone

We have release firmware version 1.12.0.18 this firmware has fixes for disconnects and many more I posted the release notes below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

If you are still having issues after updating your Orbi unit you may want to factory reset the Orbi and test again. If you are still having disconnect issues or other issues with this firmware please create a new thread or contact our support team.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thanks

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 84 of 84

All Replies
albertoesq
Tutor

I have also noticed in the logs that every half an hour exactly there's a log with the same iP, is this normal?
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 21:46:10
[Internet connected] IP address: 10.0.0.7, Wednesday, March 15, 2017 21:16:09
[Internet connected] IP address: 10.0.0.7, Wednesday, March 15, 2017 20:46:09
[Internet connected] IP address: 10.0.0.7, Wednesday, March 15, 2017 20:16:08
[Internet connected] IP address: 10.0.0.7, Wednesday, March 15, 2017 19:46:08
[Internet connected] IP address: 10.0.0.7, Wednesday, March 15, 2017 19:16:09
Message 2 of 84
lekw310388
Star

I have the same issue, on both IOS and Android devices. Updated to the latest firmware doesn't seems to fix the problem. Still getting signal drop and reconnect every few minutes.
Message 3 of 84
albertoesq
Tutor

Your orbi disconects only on ios and android? if you're at a PC it keeps the connection?

Message 4 of 84
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello albertoesq

Have you tried to re position the satellite maybe the units overlapping to much.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 84
stavrosg
Star

Same problem here. TV, pc, phone all disconnect like every 40 minutes. I wish i could return it, but missed the deadline.

This is the last netgear product i purchase...

Message 6 of 84
stavrosg
Star

I timed it, every 20 as well

Message 7 of 84
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Stavrosg

Have you disabled beamforming and mumimo? Tried changing wireless channels? also you could try to lower the power level of the 2.4ghz network.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 84
stavrosg
Star

Nope, will try now.

Switched to AP mode, worked for a day. then this morning every minute.

Currently here is the setup.

AP mode

no MIMO and beam forming

2.4ghz radio is off

1.8..xxx firmware

I'll try channels when I get home, thansk for the idea

Message 9 of 84
stavrosg
Star

I registered the device, cuase i might RMA it. It got progrssivly worse.

I cant imagine this is buggy firmware.

If there is a beta firmware program or if you want logs,I'll happily volunteer.

I love the thing when it works

Stav

Message 10 of 84
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

yea if you believe the hardware is having issues then I suggest contacting support.

DarrenM

Message 11 of 84
Netexhausted
Guide

Rbr50 is messed up. I've been doing network (home, peer to peer, remote access) for a long time. Constant intermittent disconnection from the net loss of wireless connection. I went to Device manager and unchecked the power option of the adapters not to allow the adapters to turn off external device. Still didn't work. I was generous with my time and gave Orbi RBR50 opportunity to do what it should. Now I've
given up, back to Cosco it goes. Life is complicated enough I don't need more complications.
Message 12 of 84
AZTravelGuy
Tutor

I'm about to send this back to Amazon because of this. 5 to 10 times a day I have to reboot the router. Either WiFi stops accepting all connections even though devices can still see it, or it says no internet connection (wired smarthub still works in that situation), or it seems to reset itself - blinking white - and it comes back after 5 minutes.

As I write this from my phone, the network is fully visible from the opposite end of the house but I cannot connect. I was on WiFi just 10 minutes ago.

I'm thoroughly disappointed after reading many positive reviews.
Message 13 of 84
wongja
Guide

Seriously do you have any guideline of signal overlapping ?

my home is not big and approximately 530 square feet only 

but there are thick walls And in order to maintain good wifi signal in bedrooms  that's why I get orbi

and now you are saying try to avoid wifi overlapping ?

my router and satellite is placed not more than 2M 

is that serious overlapping ?

please advise and I am seriously thinking to sell it over something else.

orbi is misleading.

Message 14 of 84
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Wongja

Orbi is not really Ideal for that small of space because your deivces will keep jumping connection between the units causing issues each unit is meant to cover 2500 sq ft.

DarrenM

Message 15 of 84
thebishop
Apprentice

"your deivces will keep jumping connection between the units"

If that is really the case, there seems to be some flaw in the implementation on how steering is done. Why would you ever force a switch as long as the client has a reasonable connection to a given station? One would expect a switch ony when signal level drops below some given threshold? Essentialy acting according to the old adage "Don't fix what's not broken" 😉

Message 16 of 84
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

@OP, what firmware version do you use?

I have V1.8.0.6 and I get disconnect on all of my devices (Mac, AppleTV, PS4, Nintendo 3DS, iOS, etc.). Only solution is to turn off/on wifi or in case like AppleTV, I have to reboot the entire device.

Message 17 of 84
jxrxme
Star

Wifi disconnects not fixed here with V1.9.1.12. Running Orbi in AP Mode. Turned down 2.4GHz transmit power to 25%. Implicit beamforming and mu mimo disabled.

Today 3 non-moving iOS devices got disconnected in 10 minutes, each 3 times! The devices were 1-3 meters from satellite away (in visual range). I did some RSSI analysis: Seems that the devices get kicked out from 5GHz band while the signal is strong, but the 2.4GHz signal from identical Orbi is equal or slightly stronger. It seems not to be a steering problem between router and satellite since my signals are well separated (satellite client signals are strong while router client signals are very weak and vice versa). 
Turning down the transmit power of the 2.4GHz band to 25% helps for medium/long distance to the router/satellite as workaround, but not for narrow distances. Playing with the 2.4GHz transmit power "controls" at which distance the disconnects are typically happening.

So the root cause is a band steering bug between the 5 and 2.4GHz bands. Which is very disappointing for such expensive hardware, especially if you consider that client side band steering (without expensive hardware) works more reliable and Netgear didn't fix this bug for months (while very aware of the problem).

Slowly but surely I conclude that Netgear can't fix that problem and I should return the defective by design devices...

If all your devices support the 5GHz band I recommend disabling the 2.4GHz completely as a workaround (and if you don't need to cover the very far distance which 5GHz can't reach). I have some legacy devices so I can't turn it off.

(posted in a other discussion, too)

Message 18 of 84
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you all seeing the backhaul connection constantly drop if you check using Wi-Fi Analyzer or some other method? When I check, the main 2.4 and 5 GHz signals stay strong but the backhaul(no SSID) drops about every 15 seconds and takes connected devices with it. I also had a perfect Orbi for about a month before slow Wi-Fi speeds and constant disconnects started.
Message 19 of 84
stavrosg
Star

My backhaul was going through brick, wood, 2 floors down. And I had the disconnects bad. Theory makes sense to me

Message 20 of 84
wongja
Guide

I would suuggest more setting options for satellite in this case such as turning off wifi signals specific for satellites.

i used ex7000 and I can simply turn that wifi radio off and let it be a wireless bridge.

I am wondering why can't I do the same for orbi satellites. 

Message 21 of 84
kimike
Initiate

I to missed the deadline to return. I've never had problems like this with a router. Was a lot of money for the aggravation. The constant disconnecting prevents me from using the geo fencing with Arlo cameras and is costing me money for data on cell phone. Worked great with my old router! I purchased these to have better coverage on my porches. Big regrets!
Message 22 of 84
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello kimike

I have sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 23 of 84
JMU1998
Luminary

Disconnects issue has been lingering for a while now and patience running low especially those who are past their return date, we are at the mercy of Netgear Engineering to get a Firmware it that is stable and re-establish our confidence in this Orbi system that has great potential just held back and handicapped by weak Firmware to date.

Message 24 of 84
tnadkarni
Star

I just installed Wifi Analyzer and the backhaul connection does indeed seem to drop frequently.

Another thing, when you login to the RBR50 and on the status page where the scrolling text shows Satellites connected...it flips from 1 to 0 and to 1. So even the RBR50 seems to know the backhaul is dropping. I assume after doing this for 15 mins it eventually drops the traffic and you get a disconnect.

Is there anyway to roll back the firmware to an older one? I never had these problems until recently and I haven't changed the location of the RBR/RBS in my house. Also anyone heard from Netgear what they're going to do about this?

Message 25 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7