× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

View the MAC address table and add SNMP functionality

Hello NETGEAR,

I really like my JGS524PE switch.

Please add the possibility to view the MAC address table and the SNMP functionality to the Smart Managed Plus Switches (JGS524PE). Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Sven

12 Comments
schumaku
Guru

Sven,

That's simply impossible for all Smart Managed Plus models - with a hardware design using simple configureable and lightly monitorable switch core, the tiny embedded controller, and the non-manageable PoE controller does simply not allow anything more.

Regards,
-Kurt

EJOSBT
Onlooker

Its hard for me to believe Kurts reply about the ability of the switch not having the resources to display an address table. I don't see anything in the question about POE.

schumaku
Guru

@EJOSBT If you check earlier product specs and marketing papers - Netgear used to offer these switches under the unmanaged category - this changed to Unmanaged Plus, later to Smart Managed Plus.

The very similar JGS524E is built around a Broadcom BCM53128 platform, and very similar chipsets on the JGS524PE, and the JGS524Ev2 - all are technically "unmanaged", so no fully fledged switch cores, so no access to the MAC port table, no access to the PoE controller for current effective PSE power delivery per port, and so on. There are some configuration options as you know from your switches. These are accessed by a Microcontroller for the config changes, and to a small event to implement certain special features like "sniffing" for the IGMP Multicast control traffic for example. Have an eye on the BCM53128 data sheet or the switch chip reference implementation - and you find a configurable but unmanaged switch core.

Certain newer Plus switches (like the XS724EM or some coming up new models from this line) are built on full managed L2/L2+ cores. For continuity, and to avoid misunderstandings, the feature set is very similar like the other Plus switches. The only (in my opinion essential) capability is the config of the management VLAN. 

There is really nothing Netgear can do here for this request.

EJOSBT
Onlooker

Just to clarify, the original post is about MAC address Table, nothing to do with POE.

I would like the ablity to see the MAC address table or search it like most switches.

You say that these products are based on the Broadcom BCM53128

I googled and found this data sheet.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/678/broadcom_limited_avgo-s-a0007196095-1-1747565.pdf

On pages 63-64 mention reading, writing and search the ARL table.

After reading the relevent pages, I think it would be posible to list or search the MAC address table. Even if its a hug preformance hit I don't search MAC addresses often so it would be worth it.

d3photo
Fledgling

Bump.

@Sweenie wrote:

Hello NETGEAR,

I really like my JGS524PE switch.

Please add the possibility to view the MAC address table and the SNMP functionality to the Smart Managed Plus Switches (JGS524PE). Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Sven

schumaku
Guru

Even is certain Plus swiches are built on fully managed cores (like the all 10Gb XSnnnE models) or other embedded switch cores, the mainstream units are built on basic configureable switch chipsets. Cluttering the feature set does not make much sense in my opinion.

EJOSBT
Onlooker

@schumaku  wrote:

Even is certain Plus swiches are built on fully managed cores (like the all 10Gb XSnnnE models) or other embedded switch cores, the mainstream units are built on basic configureable switch chipsets. Cluttering the feature set does not make much sense in my opinion.

Are you a paid nay sayer?

You went from not technically posible to clutering the feature set?

The SNMP seems like a bigger ask, but the MAC address table list/search does not seem out of the realm of doable. It would be a huge value add for what I expect is little investment for Netgear (assuming its technically possible). I have been very happy with my JGS524PE deployed at clients but the value proposition is pretty much gone at that price point and with the lack of this feature(MAC address list/search) the JGS524PE vs Unifi USW-24-PoE is really non exisistent since I can get them for less than $100 more and they have more functionality.

Netgear, add some features or drop the pricing to stay competive with this switch.

schumaku
Guru

The Netgear GS324TP - a Smart Managed switch with SNMP, MAC table list and much more - does currently sell here in Switzerland for about 250 USD, tax included. Different from that Unifi USW-24-PoE it comes with 24 PoE+ ports (vs. 8), offers a PoE+ 802.3at power budget of 190 W (vs. 42 W). Yeah, that's Netgear's low-cost offering, with shorter warranty, sold into certain price sensitive channels.

The GS724TPv2 - a Smart Managed switch with SNMP, MAC table list, Insight Cloud management [one year free license], and much more - does come for less than 300 USD, tax included, also 24 PoE+ ports, also with a PoE+ 802.3at power budget of 190 W, the usual Netgear limited lifetime warranty for the original buyer, ...

Leaving alone all Netgear PoE+ switches are strict IEEE 802.3at Type 2 PoE+ compliant, don't come with odd things "supporting 36W at the PSE" - WT*, PoE+ requires 30W at the PSE, and guarantees 25.5W at the PD - does not have to support crazy non-industry standard compliant exotic/proprietary PoE modes. 

Oh and sorry, all the Netgear Plus and Smart Managed comes with a local Web UI. I admit, for the about 125 USD more than the GS724TPv2 for the Unifi USW-24-PoE you get ... a shiny LCD on top, and an impressive (seriously, I'm managing some bigger sites commercially) cloud UI.

The JGS524EP is just ~10 USD less than the GS324EP. And then talking of the product continuity again, there are currently 24 Plus models (from the central Europe view) which would require a feature chan...

Said that ... just a realist here.

d3photo
Fledgling

"the Unifi USW-24-PoE you get" garbage.

d3photo
Fledgling

The issue here is basic functionality. This is a basic function today. It exists in the device, it just has to be produced in the GUI.